Standard

Options
2»

Comments

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So...I just completed the daily trials of the planes...out of 8 matches I faced Olivia 7 times....yeah, that sure is fun....

Every time I play legacy games, I am reminded of why I am grateful for standard and how it gives you more variation and more interesting gameplay, as opposed to the endless clones of Olivia players.....

And before you interject: Training grounds is the exact same thing. You face the same 2-4 cards over and over and over and over...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:
    So...I just completed the daily trials of the planes...out of 8 matches I faced Olivia 7 times....yeah, that sure is fun....

Every time I play legacy games, I am reminded of why I am grateful for standard and how it gives you more variation and more interesting gameplay, as opposed to the endless clones of Olivia players.....

And before you interject: Training grounds is the exact same thing. You face the same 2-4 cards over and over and over and over...
    I feel like, at least in Training Grounds, I see MORE Olivia now than I did before the update to the game. I also see a lot more Reckless Bushwhacker... is this because it's now more widely known that both cards are triggering twice as a bug? Methinks yes.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Again, I'm not sure what the issue is.  Rhox Maulers and War Oracle seem to be pretty well balanced against one another.

Both are uncommons.  Both cost 11 mana.  Both have renown 2.

If  Rhox Mauler hits a non-renowned War Oracle, the War Oracle will die.

If War Oracle is renowned and the Rhox Mauler is not, the War Oracle will live and the Mauler will die.

If both are renowned, the Mauler will take out the Oracle, but the Oracle's controller will still gain 5 life.

If you like, I could run a thought experiment to see what would happen if a player who cast Rhox Mauler every other turn were to run up against a player who cast War Oracle every other turn.  Though some people around here don't take kindly to thought experiments.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Here's the game I'm playing now: I've got an 18/18 Aethersphere Harvester in play, and he's playing (and this is in Platinum tier, mind you), he's facing down Naga Vitalist, and Ahn-Crop Champion.

[edit]

This Gideon1 that I'm playing now, (against an 18/18 Aethersphere Harvester of mine, again, funnily enough!), has just managed to combo his way through my Sphinx's Tutelage, to play his first card: a Knight of the Pilgrim's Road. He died before be got to play anything else.

Look, I'm not saying I'm not playing any games against difficult opponents... I came up against [redacted] and his Hixus/Starfield deck the other day, and that was nasty. And there are some viscious Nahiri LR/Sram/Recruit decks around. I've lost games, too, I think I lost 2 in the TOA event.

But I am saying I'm playing a lot of pointless mismatches.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    shteev said:
    Here's the game I'm playing now: I've got an 18/18 Aethersphere Harvester in play, and he's playing (and this is in Platinum tier, mind you), he's facing down Naga Vitalist, and Ahn-Crop Champion.

concrete proof that harvester needs to be nerfed :)

more on topic though, some players are finding it
    harder to compete in standard than others. if players
    are in the platinum tier after mastering op soi mythics,
    then standard is going to hit their competitiveness a
    lot more than others in the lower two tiers who used
    to get more origins packs as prizes. also if they are
    like me then they'll tone down the power in favour of
    having more disables to give them more time to draw
    the right cards and achieve objectives.

(enraged mode on white, great, just need to cast that
    sacred cat 3 times as it's my only usable embalm
    creature)

HH
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Harvester is OP, no doubt about it.

Try it with Bonded Construct.  You can thank me later.
  • shteev
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    Harvester is OP, no doubt about it.

Try it with Bonded Construct.  You can thank me later.
    Yknow I quite miss my old Saheeli Runaway Carriage/Bonded Contruct deck...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    As an ex-whale in platinum with barely any mythics; I'm really, really appreciative of the opportunity to actually compete now I'm not getting reliably pulverised by bloody Decimator, Olivia and Ulrich.

I'm enjoying playing with and against different decks and creatures.

• blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Drycha said:
    As an ex-whale in platinum with barely any mythics; I'm really, really appreciative of the opportunity to actually compete now I'm not getting reliably pulverised by bloody Decimator, Olivia and Ulrich.

Me too. For those that crave the legacy challenge, one can always play more daily Trials of the Plainswalkers.

This new Standard format in Trials of Ambition is really D3 way of leveling the playing field for everyone. I find this good and refreshing. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drycha said:

Yeah, I'm having fun with it as well. It's nice to have some diversity for a change.
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    But at least we will still be able to play with full libraries in the PVE events given they posted as such in the release notes. Oh wait a minute, no. No we won't.

• gillkonam
    gillkonam Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    In PvP its fine. Older players have an advantage to be sure, but by and large that helps younger players.
    For PvE however, it's stupid.
  • shteev
    Options
    NAGA VITALIST. Have you seen Naga Vitalist?

Look me in the eye and tell me that it's ok that I'm playing against such cards in Platinum Tier.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's ok that you are playing against such a card in platinum tier.

Heck, they might like the card, or simply had it in the deck as they were getting mastery points up from gold. Maybe the player in question is seeing something you don't? He obviously decided to run the card, and is in platinum which means he has a collection of a certain size.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Of course that is okay. This is a really silly argument. Standard will change eventually and people can always play whatever works for them. 
  • ridfrenzy
    ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am hating standard to be honest.  I could deal with it if it was just PvP events but I have gone from 1060 cards I can use to 552.  You know what that means?  Less diversity for my decks and ultimately boredom.  I want to play my crazy decks and as it stands the only place I can really do that is in Story mode or Training Grounds.

Please for the sake of my sanity bring back QB so I can just play stupid decks and have fun in this game again.