Does heroes for hire mean that we should never direct buy. . .

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
For a 5/5/2 character again?

Seems like eventually the necessary cover eill cycle through and 2500 or 3600 HP is cheaper than 120 cp, and easier than saving tokens until the right cover shows up in a vault.

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haha for me I'd still choose the 120CP option. My average CP rate is 20 per day, so i can easily accumulate 120CP every week. It takes longer for me to get 3600HP. Plus if i have a 14th cover waiting for a 5/5/2 4*, 120CP guarantees me that final cover. Not so with vaults or HfH
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    To me it depends on the specific character. If they're vaulted already, I'd be inclined to HfH them so as not to spend resources that might complete a Token12 character. 

If they're Token12 and 5/4/3, I'd use HfH as my hole card and pull normally, see if I get lucky. Token12 and 5/2/5, I'd probably direct buy if the character is one in whose completion I'm invested.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    HFH takes on average 75 days to get to the specific cover you need, while 120 cp is calendar-independent.

I'd still set the character as a bonus hero. If you're lucky, fine. If you're not, you can still buy the necessary cover before anything expires.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    my 5/0/5 vaulted Quake will take that HfH yellow cover.  Someday.  Eventually.  
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I'm thankful to be in a place where neither option is of use to me.

That 5/1/5 X23, she'll stay there unless I pull a vault red or it is eventually a progression reward. 5/4/3 Mordo, I'll get the 13th pull eventually even if I do have to sell off a few black covers along the way.

I do feel for those with an iceman or peggy in a terrible and just nothing they can do about it other hope for a hfh cover or dropping 120 cp per cover they can't pull.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I get 120 CP way more quickly than I'll get 2,500 or 3,600 HP but I'd still rather spend the HP on a HfH cover than the CP. 
  • Vhailorx
    I get 120 CP way more quickly than I'll get 2,500 or 3,600 HP but I'd still rather spend the HP on a HfH cover than the CP. 
    I haven't done the math to see if this is true for me.  But I can say that with regular play I always have more HP than I need to buy roster slots and shields.  I couldn't afford a 2.5k or 3.6k HP purchase every day or every week.  But I can definitely do it once a month while staying net HP positive. 

And while I have almost always have some HP to spare, I never have enough CP to satisfy my 5* cover requirements.  If you want to build a 5* roster, you basically have to preserve your CP for legendary token purposes only. 

I have had several vaulted 4*s trapped in 5/3/4 or 5/2/5 limbo (even before vaulting) and never felt compelled to direct buy them (even useful 4*s like x23).  So my old strategy was to hoard all PVE vault tokens until a priority cover showed up by random luck, and then mine it out.  That worked fairly well, but occasionally left me at 60/80 pulled without the cover I actually wanted (and "needing" to buy some HP if I wanted to make good on my investment).  Now I will just wait for the right HfH to roll around and keep 3.6.k iso on hand most of the time. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Its less about the time it takes to amass each resource as it is the availability of the deal...  If I care about a specific cover I could have to wait two cycles of the store before its an option...  I can always spend 120CP for it.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haha for me I'd still choose the 120CP option. My average CP rate is 20 per day, so i can easily accumulate 120CP every week. It takes longer for me to get 3600HP. Plus if i have a 14th cover waiting for a 5/5/2 4*, 120CP guarantees me that final cover. Not so with vaults or HfH
    This.  I would rather spend 120 CP than 3600 HP.  2500 HP maybe.

The only 2 I've ever bought from H4H is 2 top tier vaulted characters that had powers at 0, namely:
    Iceman 0/5/5
    Thoress 0/5/5

With how easy it is to get the unvaulted and the fact that most of my vaulted 4* have at least 1 and most of my top tiers are 10+ if not champed I can't see buying from H4H at 3600 ever again.  2500 still probably wouldn't be worth it for me personally.
  • Vhailorx
    I am honestly shocked that so many players consider HP to be a dearer resource than cp.  

I definitely consider either iso and cp to be the most important resource in the game. (Usually in a cycle.  When i am chasing a new 4* or about-to-become classic 5*, i want cp.  Shortly thereafter i desperately want iso to use the glut of covers.)

hp is definitely a second tier resource for me now. 
  • naps8906
    naps8906 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    You could go cheaper route like me.  I have 4thor at 4/3/5.  Got unlucky & got blue twice when i fav'ed her.  So i faved 3* storm, and see if i can get extra 23 covers to finish my 4thor.

I did spend 120cp on iceman, same dilemma.  Got lucky on peggy that she was 4/4/4, so just waited on 4* fav'ed.  To me, i have 117 roster spots, so it's not big deal on HP.  I think now I'm at the point where CP is worth wayyyy more than HP. 

Would love the finish my 4thor, but not for 120cp.  willing to wait for 3* storm.  23 covers to go, got 4-5 covers in a past week so not that bad.

Edit: just wanted to add i have 4 fully covered 4* waiting iso.  So while i wait, leveling 4blade now.  then got 4LC, venom, 4Sam on deck... so I'm not in a rush.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, that's how I'm finishing my winter soldier and moon knight both at 12 covers. Cap is at 235 and sentry at 200.Lazy cap tokens flow like crazy so no need to even bonus hero him. Will eventually bonus hero Sentry, but no rush on that.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will never spend HP or CP for a 4* cover. I have 47 (!!) championed 4*s... I don't need to struggle to champion the last few. They'll either get done while they're in the Latest 12, or else I'll do them when I do them.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    now that I see that Spider-Gwen is coming up, I may drop the 2500 HP on her.  I'm sitting on 12K HP, don't shield hop, rarely buy tokens.  Spider-Gwen is vaulted, and at 1/5/5, so may as well.  I'm at 30 champed 4*, 10 more 4* waiting on ISO (well, 8.  Venoms don't deserve my ISO), and not moving to 5*, so, again, why not.  
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Honestly, one cover is such a drop in the pond it's hardly worth it. With the intro of vaulting it has become much easier to get a working 4* roster up and running. You're better off focusing on that in order to reach the 4* cover reward in PVP than wasting your resources on this deal, if obtaining the highly elusive vaulted 4* characters is your goal.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    HP and CP are different currencies that accumulate (largely) separately, so I'll be doing either or both depending on the individual circumstances.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    I am honestly shocked that so many players consider HP to be a dearer resource than cp.  

I definitely consider either iso and cp to be the most important resource in the game. (Usually in a cycle.  When i am chasing a new 4* or about-to-become classic 5*, i want cp.  Shortly thereafter i desperately want iso to use the glut of covers.)

hp is definitely a second tier resource for me now. 
    And the funniest thing about it is that hp is the only resource you can buy with money.

HP is the least important resource for me as well. However with quite a few 3* champs around the 250 mark, roster slots may become more of an issue soon.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    This is almost entirely a function of where you are in your roster development. Until you manage to roster everything in the tiers where you're focusing, HP is a more valuable resource than CP.  An LT pull (latest or otherwise) without an available slot might as well be 1000 ISO.

HP also tends to be harder to get -- anyone can slog through the final node (and if you're lucky to have it, the 4* essential) four times to grab a couple CP a day, but you're only getting HP through farming, resupply, or placement, and you're not getting placement if your roster is underdeveloped.

Until I had rostered all characters (except 1* and 5*, obviously), I was perpetually under 1K HP, and never used them on anything except slots. And that didn't change until I got a few good (unfortunately now-vaulted) 4* up to 12/13 covers (Thor, Iceman, Rulk) and could start reliably hitting T50 PvE.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm actually starting to find HP a little harder to maintain, now that I'm hitting 266 with some of my 3*s and rostering dupes. Whereas before I would buy daily deals here and there, and occasionally blow a 24h shield to give myself a break from end-of-event bloodbaths, I'm finding myself needing to be more stingy in order to keep up. If I couldn't reliably count on having several boosted 4*s champed every event, I could see it being extremely difficult to impossible.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx said:
    This is almost entirely a function of where you are in your roster development. Until you manage to roster everything in the tiers where you're focusing, HP is a more valuable resource than CP.  An LT pull (latest or otherwise) without an available slot might as well be 1000 ISO.

HP also tends to be harder to get -- anyone can slog through the final node (and if you're lucky to have it, the 4* essential) four times to grab a couple CP a day, but you're only getting HP through farming, resupply, or placement, and you're not getting placement if your roster is underdeveloped.

Until I had rostered all characters (except 1* and 5*, obviously), I was perpetually under 1K HP, and never used them on anything except slots. And that didn't change until I got a few good (unfortunately now-vaulted) 4* up to 12/13 covers (Thor, Iceman, Rulk) and could start reliably hitting T50 PvE.
    No argument from me.  HP is clearly a key constraint on new players.  It's been a while since i was struggling to roster everyone, so the current experuence is certainly different from my memory, but from the newer players in my alliance family i gather than HP for roster space is still a bit of an issue without spending.

But HP has become easier to get in tye last 15 months.  Champ rewards, clearance levels, and intercepts are a steady supply of HP.  And i was able to stay HP positive even before those events if i played steadily and didnt sheild more than once or twice per pvp event.

Certainly my opinion was from the perspective of someone with a completr roster.  But on these forums i thought it was safe to assume that most people were vets in that category.  If the forum population is turning over into more of a new-player population, then i wonder what that says about the game's playerbase (if anything). . .