Am I the only one who enjoys the Simulator PVE?

First off my condolences to those of you with 5* scaling issues.

That being said, why do I get the feeling so many people dislike the event? Not fighting the same goons/dark avengers over and over. There is a lot of variety in the matchup that requires more thoughtful play. There are some nice iso rewards to be had and to top it all off it's only 3 days.

Of course it's not conducive towards competitive grinding, but  there are plenty of other PVE events to drudge through if one feels so inclined. I wish more events were structured this way.

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's painful to play with 5* s scaling, especially since the assorted 4* enemies hit much harder than dark avengers, but I like it for the same reasons you list. :)

Also finding placement much more relaxed despite non-optimal play and not grinding to 1. :D 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only reason I dislike it is because of the lack of narrative push - there's no story, no dialog, not even any fight descriptions. For some reason even getting a bit of dialog/narrative/descriptive element gives me a small spark of drive to play through an event, even if I've read it before. Plus, there's always some winners I love to see pop back up - "especially some long haired goon with a hammer", etc. From a mechanical standpoint it's pretty solid - I was able to reach the 4-star cover (my only goal in PvE) without too much hair-pulling. There were some truly evil match-ups (that final node fight in the final sim ISO node with Medusa, wow! I don't think I would have won if the enemy hadn't continually matched my Wasp's buzzing tile (possibly out of kindness, as I was getting a whuppin'). 

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are frequently flat-out evil nodes and I don't enjoy feeling toyed with!

That said, I will grudgingly admit to having discovered some teams I would never have used without it, so.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Yes, you are the only one. Simulator stinks.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    MaxxPowerz said: it's not conducive towards competitive grinding
    Sadly, I think you've pinpointed why it's so unpopular. PvE gameplay favors one style of play and the deviation from normal makes it feel like an irritant above all else.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    It's a pain in the **** for anything lower than 4* roster. Lvl 250 3* is nowhere near as powerfull as lvl 250 4*. Then there are anemy teams that are made with the intent to just piss you off.

Hard skip for me. If there is any player unfriendly event, then it's definitely the Sim.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it makes a decent change from time to time with some interesting (and often new) fights, but the nature of scaling is inevitably going to lead to it annoying most people unless they are in a suitable range where they can easily finish the nodes without having to use too many health packs.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I love simulator, but I love gauntlet...and I love lamp. I must be brick.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find the challenge interesting, but the whole PVE format is too inherently grindy for Simulator to work and feel worth the effort.  I'd prefer if they reworked Gauntlet rewards and ran it more frequently so they could just put this event to pasture...

i will say, this event was much better than previous runs now that you don't have characters locked out.  Still my least favorite PVE by a considerable margin, but better...
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Success in PVE means going quickly.  Simulator would be more fun if you could take your time to plan a strategy against the interesting teams that the devs assemble, but instead you're forced to pick one team that can win as quick as possible.

Possible fixes are running it like the new release PVE events, where you go through once and that's it.  No placement rewards.  Or just don't care about placement rewards, that works too.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd enjoy it more if there was an AoE character champed.
    This week's boosted heroes in 4* land are kinda slow. Not to mention the fights are quite insideous at times, showcasing some really nasty synergy within characters.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Medusa, Wasp, and Patch have made short work of every single team in this event. highly recommended.

patch green, medusa purple, wasp yellow.x2 everyone dies.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you need to be solidly in 4* land for it to be less of a pain (which I am I guess?  17 champs. Sadly no Medusa).  5* rosters get scaled out.  While 3* rosters don't have the firepower.

For the 3* people struggling, Patch/Fist are featured/boosted so you could do the classic Patch/Loki combo and use Fist Purple to accelerate Loki Black.  As you know, once you have the Patch Green to Loki Black combo out (plus Fist's boosted attack tile) it's light work.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you need to be solidly in 4* land for it to be less of a pain (which I am I guess?  17 champs. Sadly no Medusa).  5* rosters get scaled out.  While 3* rosters don't have the firepower.
    Less of a pain, perhaps. But the other night I was getting whittled down so much that I ended up using some taco tokens to get some health packs. Been a while since I ran out of health packs in PvE

It's not a great boosted character week, is all. On good weeks I can complete a run in under an hour with minimal damage. This week...not so much. One match took 8 minutes because the board was awful throughout and I was always 1 or 2 AP away from making a move. so we were both whittling each other away with match damage.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Personally I think it is one of the best events. I'm happy with a top 50 finish, so I don't need to be completely optimal and can try different teams. This is one of the few times where it isn't just about finding the one killer team based on buffs, but instead thinking about how to attack each match.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *Off to the events forum you go*
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I like it too because of the variety of enemies. 

I dont care that that there is no narrative because after 3 years I don't really read the DA stories anymore. 
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    I like the event and am only have one 4* champ.  I have had to go through almost the whole roster to do one clear, but like others have said it forced me to try teams I would not normally think of.

If I were barely into 3* champ land, or worse 2* land, I think the later nodes would be impossible.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like the changeup from the usual that it brings. I just need to start taking notes during my first clears, because sometimes I forget which team really worked on a particular Node when I'm doing my final clears. Wasp+Falcon+Patch/Medusa have been taking care of most of them, but there were a couple that managed to shut them down.

There do seem to be fewer people really grinding on this one. I'm set for a t20 finish even tho I haven't even managed 6 clears on everything. So that's nice, too.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I've been rolling with mostly a 3* team: Storm/Patch/Medusa. Sure, Medusa is the glue that holds everything together but this team has made most nodes trivial, and it requires almost no health packs.