Damage from comboing or cascading.

Options
WirriesT
WirriesT Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
So I just noticed that damage from combos/cascades is decreased. My level 360 Thanos matches black tiles at 335, which means a match 3 causes 1005 damage to my opponent. 

But it if I match 3 of another color, specifically matched by another character, the damage from a subsiquent match of black is reduced to 754. In a recorded instance, there was a match 3 of blue from Captain America: Sam Wilson that caused black tiles to fall and match up. The blue tiles did 222, per their dmg value of 74 each. But then the black tiles fell, matched away and caused 754, dealing a total of 976 to the opponent. 

I have screen shots of the above happening. So my question is, why does this happen? 

Comments

• orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Asked the same question long ago - https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/19473/is-there-a-negative-multiplier-on-cascade-match-dmg#latest.

There is a .75 damage multiplier on each subsequent match of a cascade after the first. It's so a ridiculous cascade doesn't kill you or the opponent on that alone. They just have all the AP instead, hehe.

So, order/gem choice of your first match matters. If given the choice, I always try to choose the five star gem match first. 

Hope that helps.
  • WirriesT
    WirriesT Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Asked the same question long ago - https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/19473/is-there-a-negative-multiplier-on-cascade-match-dmg#latest.

There is a .75 damage multiplier on each subsequent match of a cascade after the first. It's so a ridiculous cascade doesn't kill you or the opponent on that alone. They just have all the AP instead, hehe.

So, order/gem choice of your first match matters. If given the choice, I always try to choose the five star gem match first. 

Hope that helps.
    Does this hold true for combo critical attacks as well? So the multiplier will apply .75 and then increase according to the characters critical multiplier? Also thank you for your reply. 
  • orbitalint
    Options
    Yes, multiplier of the cascade is applied to crit combos as well. I don't know if you notice but they definitely have an order of operations with resolving cascade matches. I'm pretty sure it is top to bottom, left to right. So that will take priority in the cascade when crits happen on combo matches of two or more colors at once. Is that what you are asking about?

Also, I haven't tested it out officially but I think the multiplier gets reset if a cascade causes a match 5 and you have to make another move.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IIRC this is one of the things that make strike tiles so amazing, they apply a flat damage addition and are not subject to the diminishing returns of a cascade.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    *Moving this over to Tips and Guides as it is better served there*
  • orbitalint
    Options
    IIRC this is one of the things that make strike tiles so amazing, they apply a flat damage addition and are not subject to the diminishing returns of a cascade.
    Yup, mentioned that in the original thread. If you do it right, can make the multiplier meaningless and even one point of damage can mean heavy damage... Kind of like how muscle damage got out of hand during the countdown damage fiasco.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeap, noticed that too.
    However, if you make two (or more) matches at the same time, they will deal normal damage.

Like with QS black or coulson purple. Since it is a simultaneous match and not a cascade
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Also note that the gem that you move determines the first match. Let's say you have two colors (x and y) laid out like so:

xxy
    yyx

If you grab the y on the right to drag it down a row, the y tiles will match first, followed by the x tiles. This is also true even if the other match is a match 4 or 5, and applies regardless of which set of tiles is above, below, left, or right. 

Sometimes it matters a great deal when you want/need a specific character to take the next hit (or not to), and x and y are tanked by different characters.