Selling vaulted 4*'s from roster.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
Drastic measures, 
also sorry if this question qualifies for the official vaulting thread (if so, close it and let me know).

I'm starting to feel like "why should I keep my rostered Hulk Buster, Ice Man, Lady Thor, Elektra, Moon Knight, Ant-Man, Nick Fury, Ghost Rider, X23 etc?"
I've had them rostered at 1 cover since forever, at this pace they'll become worthy to use in any kinds of battle in approximately 4 years. I'm not complaining as I am making good progress with my latest 12 4*'s but I can't stop but feel that the other 30+ are just occupying expensive roster slots. While i also understand this is a stupid thought.
I could use some counseling, someone to tell me that it will be easier to acquire the old 4* covers soon and that they are a valuable resource even at 1 and 2 covers. 

Comments

• bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    I think you might be a bit hasty in selling them off, although that's dependent on your roster slot/HP/ISO-8 situation.

Looking ahead, those 4*s are going to become required for 4* PVE nodes and Behemoth Burrito nodes at some point, and selling them now means that while that is on you're foregoing between 2-6 CP a day (plus any bonus rewards).

especially for 4* that get 3* feeders, AND especially if those 3* feeders have 2* feeders (ie. Thor-Thor-Rhulk). 

To me it's really dependent on your roster slot situation. I buy cover packs once in a blue moon and shield about once per PVP event at most, so most of my HP is going towards roster slots and I can consistently play Behemoth Burrito. Being able to play the 4* node is also good for placing well in PVE

Hope that helps!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvE essential nodes is really the best argument to keep them around. If you can't play one of the nodes you might as well forget about good placement and might miss out on covers you actually want.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    With the current policies you are correct, there is no reason to have the old 4 stars at low covers unless you can afford the hp costs. You should focus on the new ones. I understand how **** that sounds if you wanted older characters, but that is the current meta.

D3 says they don't like it but haven't given any solutions or dates, which is demoralizing.
  • bob554
    Dauthi said:
    With the current policies you are correct, there is no reason to have the old 4 stars at low covers unless yoy can afford the hp costs. You should focus on the new ones. I understand how tinykitty that sounds if you wanted older characters, but that is the current meta.
    yea it's pretty tiny-kittied that the current meta  is focused on the 12, especially in PVP where you absolutely need well-covered and well-leveled characters to compete. I would still say that the PVE portion of the game supports holding onto as many 4*s as you can as @Quebbster notes above.

Just a point on Behemoth Burrito again, I find that a champed 2* and 3* is enough for me to win the round no matter what strength 4* I have.

Again, to me this is highly dependent on your roster and HP needs, although I will say yet again that my personal belief is that buying cover packs with HP is a no-no :smile:
  • bob554
    mexus said:
    Dauthi said:
    With the current policies you are correct, there is no reason to have the old 4 stars at low covers unless you can afford the hp costs. You should focus on the new ones. I understand how tinykitty that sounds if you wanted older characters, but that is the current meta.

D3 says they don't like it but haven't given any solutions or dates, which is demoralizing.
    Yeah, and the new ones are flowing in! So I guess those roster slots will come in handy. Which is an argument for selling them off.
    However I can't stop but thinking they'll eventually change the system shortly after selling them, which is an argument against doing so. :)
    Murphy's Law says that as soon as you sell them all off D3 will announce a change to make them useful again lol

then you have a winning entry for the MPQ Worst Moment thread....!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the vaulted character to come up as essential, they would have to be the placement rewards for the event leading up. If you manage to hit top 10, that's 3 covers. Do that three times and the vaulted characters are almost optimal. Add the few you get from pvp when they cycle around and you're done. 

If only vaulted characters are placement rewards rewards more often...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's Worth noting that vaulted characters are available through the various event vaults. This is obviously not a dependable source of covers, but with a bit of luck (and possibly hoarding) you can absolutely get extra covers that way.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    It's true that they'll be essentials in pve someday, but who knows when.  The last time Hulkbuster was required in pve was over 7 months ago, before they instituted the 4* cover in pve progression. 

At least in pvp there's a sort of predictability with the 4* reward rotation, but pve is anyone's guess, and it's already been observed that they favor the current 12. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    The situation as-is means that unless you put someone as a bonus hero, you'll get at most 1-2 covers per character and year, unless you dedicate your life to the game.

So yes, it might sound absurd, but if you have to choose between rostering one of the latest 4* and keeping an old vaulted 4*, you're better off throwing away the rare cover. (Unless you feel like buying HP)
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    My wife is in the same boat.  She is pretty casual and has been really struggling to progress into the 4* tier.  She doesn't like to spend on the game and is constantly struggling to get HP to roster new characters.  She has a whole big slew of vaulted 4*s with single covers that will get sold and replaced with newer characters if she can't make the HP in time.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I refuse to let them go because I know when I do, they will release a new way to earn them. I remember back a ways where I had  a bunch of level 144 2* characters and I need roster slots, so I got rid of a few to make room and I figured I only needed a few to complete the deadpool events.. Literally the next week they increased the sell values of 2*s. I was not happy......
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    Thanks bob554!
    The Behemoth Burrito argument isn't valid for me though. It takes a hefty strong 4* to be able to compete and judging from the schedule I won't be able to properly use any of required 4* heroes in the observable future. What good will a 2 cover Quake do against whatever she's put up against? 

The PVE node argument is solid, though. Didn't think about that. It doesn't take a strong 4* to complete these nodes if he / she is put in good company.
    Behemoth Burrito is the three-on-one daily fight for 2 CP. The required 3* and 2* can usually carry that fight regardless of their opposition, as long as you've got them to a decent level.

Crash of the Titans is the one where you need a decently-covered 4* - with a few notable exceptions, like anyone with an invisibility power.
  • Fightmastermpq
    mexus said:
    Starfury said:
    The situation as-is means that unless you put someone as a bonus hero, you'll get at most 1-2 covers per character and year, unless you dedicate your life to the game.

So yes, it might sound absurd, but if you have to choose between rostering one of the latest 4* and keeping an old vaulted 4*, you're better off throwing away the rare cover. (Unless you feel like buying HP)
    I counted for a bit. I have twenty 4* characters on 1 / 2 covers that are vaulted. That means a boost of 20K ISO-8, which isn't much, but also 20 empty roster slots which should mean I wouldn't have to spend HP on roster slots for at least six months. Still debating with myself whether it's worth keeping these covers or not. I still like to look at them.
    Just sell the worst ones as you need the covers.  A single cover Kingpin isn't adding much value to your roster at all, and certainly doesn't offer any incremental value over a single cover for any of the 12 newest 4s.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    Starfury said:

I counted for a bit. I have twenty 4* characters on 1 / 2 covers that are vaulted. That means a boost of 20K ISO-8, which isn't much, but also 20 empty roster slots which should mean I wouldn't have to spend HP on roster slots for at least six months. Still debating with myself whether it's worth keeping these covers or not. I still like to look at them.
    No need to sell them pre-emptively, but if push comes to shove, it's worth it to sell a vaulted character to make room for a new one.

By the time you would have collected 13 covers for the old ones, you'll earn far more than 1000 hp per 2 weeks and you'll catch up with the amount of characters in the game.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    this is the problem the developers have created. We struggle to get characters that they make "required" at certain points, and without them the player will lose out on rewards (progression/placement in PVE, behemoth burrito every day). Until they stop treating 4 stars as precious commodities, this problem will always persist (or if they just take our feedback to heart, just this one time, and unvault/split up legendaries).

If you are going to sell off vaulted 4's that are undercovered, a practice I suggest against, then at least start one-at-a-time and sell the worst ones first. Other than boss fights, I find Ghost Rider to be pointless... and only is he OK with a bunch of black covers. I also find Fury to be sorta garbage. Elektra is better with her remake, but I am still unsure of her worth.

Again, I recommend you don't sell any, but if you must, sell the bad characters before the likes of Thoress, Hulk Buster, etc.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Thanks bob554!
    The Behemoth Burrito argument isn't valid for me though. It takes a hefty strong 4* to be able to compete and judging from the schedule I won't be able to properly use any of required 4* heroes in the observable future. What good will a 2 cover Quake do against whatever she's put up against? 

The PVE node argument is solid, though. Didn't think about that. It doesn't take a strong 4* to complete these nodes if he / she is put in good company.
    This isn't really accurate, from my experience. You should be able to beat most of them pretty easily if your 2- and 3-star are in good shape. The 4* on the other side is pretty underleveled and non-threatening.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    Drastic measures, 
    also sorry if this question qualifies for the official vaulting thread (if so, close it and let me know).

I'm starting to feel like "why should I keep my rostered Hulk Buster, Ice Man, Lady Thor, Elektra, Moon Knight, Ant-Man, Nick Fury, Ghost Rider, X23 etc?"
    I've had them rostered at 1 cover since forever, at this pace they'll become worthy to use in any kinds of battle in approximately 4 years. I'm not complaining as I am making good progress with my latest 12 4*'s but I can't stop but feel that the other 30+ are just occupying expensive roster slots. While i also understand this is a stupid thought.
    I could use some counseling, someone to tell me that it will be easier to acquire the old 4* covers soon and that they are a valuable resource even at 1 and 2 covers. 

If for nothing else I'd keep em as insurance against future game mechanics changes.  Theres a chance, slim but a chance, that d3/demi didn't mean to take a dump all over the champion mechanic and 3/4th of the 4* (and 3*) tier... 

I wouldn't expect the forum to have the inside track on that info though, your best bet is to find a line spoiler room if you're actually interested...

• Fightmastermpq
    Crnch73 said:
    this is the problem the developers have created. We struggle to get characters that they make "required" at certain points, and without them the player will lose out on rewards (progression/placement in PVE, behemoth burrito every day). Until they stop treating 4 stars as precious commodities, this problem will always persist (or if they just take our feedback to heart, just this one time, and unvault/split up legendaries).

If you are going to sell off vaulted 4's that are undercovered, a practice I suggest against, then at least start one-at-a-time and sell the worst ones first. Other than boss fights, I find Ghost Rider to be pointless... and only is he OK with a bunch of black covers. I also find Fury to be sorta garbage. Elektra is better with her remake, but I am still unsure of her worth.

Again, I recommend you don't sell any, but if you must, sell the bad characters before the likes of Thoress, Hulk Buster, etc.
    The other thing to consider too is that we are talking mostly about vaulted 4s with just 1 or 2 covers.  As you mentioned a Ghost Rider without Black is useless, and the same can be said of many of the vaulted 4s.  Even many of the top tier vaulted characters have garbage abilities that you shouldn't feel bad about selling off - IMHB blue, Iceman purple, Cyke yellow, Rulk red, etc., etc., etc.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I vote keep them unless you absolutely cannot get the HP to roster a latest before it expires.  The reasons have all been discussed:

1.  PVE Essential nodes
    2.  Behemoth Burrito
    3.  Developers may reopen/open paths to progress older characters again.

There is an obvious disconnect in the developers' logic.
    a) Rostering every character is important (BB, CoT, boosted toons, essentials, champs, etc.).
    b) We are limiting access to 75% of the characters (vaulting, making the latest 12 prizes more often than not).

Something has to give here.  Either they have to open up avenues to progress older 4's (i.e. create the vintage legendary that everyone has been asking for since forever) or they need to make the vaulted 75% much less necessary to progress (notice those most in favor of this system have already champed most of the old 4s and are not at all hindered in the same way you or I are).  I can't see them doing the latter because it would mean a change to many game modes (see: above) so I'm holding out hope they eventually do the former.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    **As the OP is essentially asking for help regarding his roster, I'm moving the thread to Roster and Level Help.**