Who is well served by daily resupply covers?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
Setting aside the absurdity of offering 250 iso or a standard token to day 1200+ player, i wanted to discuss the covers available to player from the daily resupply.

I am just about to hit day 1000.  I have probably missed 30-60 days since i started and am about 300 days behind the leaders, but still much further along than the majority of players.  I will soon receive a blue BSS cover.  

Exactly what purpose does that cover serve for anyone moving forward?  BSS has not been in latest legends tokens for about a year.  He is currently available at a 0.45% drop rate in classic tokens (with an additional 0.75% rate if set as the only 5* favorite).  

What good does it do for newer player to recieve a single 5* cover for a character that will be so incredibly hard to cover moving forward?  

And since 5*s are coming out every 6-8 weeks, but only drop in the daily rewards every 12 weeks, this problem is just getting worse.  And a similar problem exists with 4*s (although to a lesser extent since even vaulted 4*s can be acquired via other avenues).

Now, before everyone calls me a whiny, "entitled" millenial, and reminds me that demi doesn't have to give me anything, so i should just like it and move on: that is not really the point of this thread.

Some covers are generally better than no covers, for sure.  But i think it's worth considering what purpose the daily rewards should serve, and evaluating whether they meet that goal.  If the purpose of daily covers is to mitigate the vagaries of RNG and offer relevant covers to players, then i think there is a pretty clear problem.  1 cover for a year-old 5* does very little for anything but the pokemon urge to have 1 of each.  

Is there a way to improve resupply covers to (1) make them more relevent, (2) keep players happy and avoid class warfare, and (3) avoid giving out too much stuff for demi's bottom line?

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I feel like they don't touch resupply because they don't want to deal with the inevitable outrage from people who are already past day X and could've used whatever cover now arrives on that day.

In this one case, I can't say I blame them.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I just got my 13th Moon Knight cover from daily resupply, so happy about that. 

They could always add a daily play bonus, where if you play for 30 days straight, you get a token reward daily, then on days 15 and 30 you get a 3* and a 4* cover or LT, respectively. That would reset every month. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    I feel like they don't touch resupply because they don't want to deal with the inevitable outrage from people who are already past day X and could've used whatever cover now arrives on that day.

They
     did that once when the second OML cover (around day 1200?) was changed from black to yellow. Many players who already got the black cover were upset. I can see why they are not eager to repeat that.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said: 

Is there a way to improve resupply covers to (1) make them more relevent, (2) keep players happy and avoid class warfare, and (3) avoid giving out too much stuff for demi's bottom line?

Changing the rewards from static covers to either tokens for a resupply-specific store or just straight HP, ISO and CP, in larger amounts than we currently receive, seems to be the best solution to me. Enough of a trickle that it won't dramatically affect gameplay, and eliminates the disparity in reward value that we currently have (Active veteran players find Standard tokens useless, casual vets find their scaling wrecked by 5* covers, etc).
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) my roster is ahead of the Daily Resupply List, which means that by the time it starts rewarding 4* covers regularly instead of 3*, I no longer need them.  For example, I'm almost at day 700, which rewards a Star Lord cover, but my Star Lord is already champed.  Looking at the future covers I could get, those 4*s will also probably be champed by then too. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Just hit day 700 too, and appreciated my champ level star lord, but then I'll be receiving a 3star luke cage later on, which I'm pretty meh about. Though Im really looking forward to my two year anni resupply.of black silver surfer even that will only take him to 3/0/3. 

Really wish that once you hit a tier of resupply rewards that would not fluctuate so much in regards to worth. After day 700, most don't need more 3 stars, they 4 and 5s.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I just got XFDP purple cover... The first one!! He's been 5/5/0 for over a year!! 

While specific covers may not be needed for all players, it can still help alot of them. I would rather see the random daily rewarda updated to reflect days played (tokens, ISO, HP)
  • Lytes420
    Lytes420 Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Day 1249 today which is a legendary token.day 1270 is a red 5 star iron man.my 4/3/5 is looking forward to finally being champed.it's been well over a year at that level.days like these are what makes re-supply worthwhiled.i could still do without the mysterious standard tokens that continue to drop though.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    They could also just make it give you a cover from your bonus hero of the appropriate star rating. 
    [AIRHORNS]
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lytes420 said:
    Day 1249 today which is a legendary token.day 1270 is a red 5 star iron man.my 4/3/5 is looking forward to finally being champed.it's been well over a year at that level.days like these are what makes re-supply worthwhiled.i could still do without the mysterious standard tokens that continue to drop though.
    What if it were an im46 yellow?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:

Suggesting they've not done that before =B
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Here is my perspective.   Covers are simply an alternate form of ISO. 

There is no such thing as an unusable cover.   It adds to a character directly or it is converted to ISO where it adds to a character indirectly. 

When I get a cover I need it is lovely.   When I don't it is simply another ISO donation for leveling my current focus. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Jarvind said:

I can't say I won't blame them for just throwing their hands in the air and doing nothing.

As it is, the 4* and 5* covers are essentially useless for players who didn't already get a significant amount of covers in the pre-vaulting era. And all the other rewards are a complete afterthought for anyone after 100 days.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards

As it is, the 4* and 5* covers are essentially useless for players who didn't already get a significant amount of covers in the pre-vaulting era. And all the other rewards are a complete afterthought for anyone after 100 days.
    Here's the argument for change:  they did not start with the lineup they have now.  It has evolved with added character covers as they were introduced.  Now, these vaulted characters are simultaneously more and less valuable.  More because they are hard to acquire and therefore helpful for essentials etc.  Less helpful because it is extremely hard to make any vaulted character useable unless you had them well covered pre-vaulting.
    The real question is whether the daily reward was ever truly meant to help players along, or just another dangled carrot that is ultimately meaningless.  If A, then they need to revisit somehow.  I say this as a player who is 4 days from 820, so OML black is in my future.  Which will be my second cover for him to go with a red.  Ummm...how about some iso instead?
  • DubbaHuss
    DubbaHuss Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    I'll see day 1300 this week and I got a standard token yesterday. Not that I turn up my nose at free stuff, but this guy does have a point, especially on the 5 star front and iso. I have fully built 5s and a whole slew which I consider abandoned since there is almost no point in pulling those super diluted classics. And the iso needed to max 4s and 5s is prohibitive and should fairly reflect more regular interval increases as time served increases. And by far, every 90 days for a 5 is a bit extreme. 5s are great, but by day 1300 I'll have 5 rolling, 2 almost done, and the rest mostly languishing in classics hell. It would be nice to start seeing them get more normalized in how they're distributed at this point so the teams we can employ start to offer the sense of variety in game play we've come to expect after making it this far. 
  • ejm04
    ejm04 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    bluewolf said:
    OML black is in my future.  Which will be my second cover for him to go with a red.  Ummm...how about some iso instead?
    You realize you are allowed to convert that cover into 2k iso if you choose to, right? If 2k iso is better for you than a black OML cover, nobody is stopping you from making that choice.
  • Megdar
    Megdar Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    They changed it many time. When they introduced CP, they added them retro active in the daily resuply. So they could do it again. And seriously, progression is way faster now, so the more time pass the more the daily is out of line. I'm at day 5xx and still receive mostly 3* cover, and I'm at 16 4* champ, so go figure if the daily supply is usefull.

I like when I receive some iso and HP or CP.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Day 574 here.  Today marks my 3rd standard token in a row (which is basically 100 ISO).  At some point much sooner than day 574 the Standard tokens should be eliminated as potential rewards.