More fuel for the confirmation-bias fire... *sigh*

CNash
CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
Every time a new character is added to the general token pool, I end up getting one of their covers almost immediately, which either makes me very "lucky" (confirmation bias) or suggests that the odds on brand new characters aren't the same as other 4*s.

Now I have to scrounge up another 1000 HP for a roster slot for Cloak & Dagger. Gee, thanks! I'd much rather have had a cover for a 4* that was closer to 13 covers than for another new character that I won't use for months (as the rate at which I obtain LTs and CP is decidedly not optimal).

Comments

• Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    CNash said:
    or suggests that the odds on brand new characters aren't the same as other 4*s.

I have noticed that as well, also when 2/3* are featured (or about to be featured) characters the draw rate seems to increase tenfold.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    So sell it.  You'll have months to roster C&D so why worry about it now?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash said:
    (as the rate at which I obtain LTs and CP is decidedly not optimal).
    Why is that? Getting CP isn't overly difficult, I usually get about 100 in a little over a week. I stopped using legendary tokens a month ago and I have 12 now.

25 CP for each PvE and at least 10CP from PvP every few days.

Not to mention vaulting has really sped up my rate of new 4* accumulation.

What's your roster like? Is it simply a case of not being able to compete in PvP for the 10CP?
  • CNash
    I simply don't have the time or energy to fully clear PVEs any more - and sometimes I don't even play a PVE if I'm feeling burned out or just can't take yet another run of Thick as Thieves. I take what I can get while playing at my own pace. On a good week I'd say I get maybe 40 CP. With LTs and random 4* pulls from tokens, I'm not doing too badly on the 4* front any more, but my above statement still applies: I'd rather have another cover contribute to one I've rostered than have to pony up more HP.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    CNash said:
    Why is that? Getting CP isn't overly difficult, I usually get about 100 in a little over a week. I stopped using legendary tokens a month ago and I have 12 now.

What's your roster like? Is it simply a case of not being able to compete in PvP for the 10CP?
    You do realise that for those of us who have something called "life" hitting progression in each PvE (which means rougly 1hr played/day) isn't that easy, right?
  • CNash
    ... And then being ok with falling further behind because you can't play Behemoth Burrito or Clash when that 4* comes up, or it being that much harder to score well in PVE when they're featured. I'd like to roster them, and will be trying hard to get my hands on that HP, because then I won't have this problem again with that particular character. I can collect their covers without being caught in the monetisation trap. That's really why I like getting covers for characters I've already rostered, after all.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    revskip said:  Casual play is fine as long as you are okay with casual rewards. 
    This should be stickied at the top of every thread complaining about rewards structure and frequency. Some posters seem to think that casual play (logging in daily to play DDQ or knock out a few easy pve nodes) should be enough to get you 5* covers. Casual play IS fine, but if you want the best rewards AS WELL then you're gonna have to pony up some serious bank to compensate for all that time you're not grinding to earn progression or high placement. As soon as this basic concept is accepted, half the frivolus complaints around here should disappear. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
     As soon as this basic concept is accepted, half the frivolus complaints around here should disappear. 
    Sometime in 2048, I expect.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir said:
    CNash said:

You do realise that for those of us who have something called "life" hitting progression in each PvE (which means rougly 1hr played/day) isn't that easy, right?
    What is this "life" of which you speak?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    It's fine to play however much you want to play, but when someone says "I don't get close to optimal CP" and the response is "well, 100 CP per week is easy", there's a clear disconnect in understanding that has nothing to do with entitlement.  Doing full clears of PvE in an hour a day is also nowhere near realistic for undeveloped rosters.

In any case, dilution is and will always be a problem with this game, even post-vaulting.  It's just one of those things you have to get used to if you're going to play.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    This should be stickied at the top of every thread complaining about rewards structure and frequency. Some posters seem to think that casual play (logging in daily to play DDQ or knock out a few easy pve nodes) should be enough to get you 5* covers. Casual play IS fine, but if you want the best rewards AS WELL then you're gonna have to pony up some serious bank to compensate for all that time you're not grinding to earn progression or high placement. As soon as this basic concept is accepted, half the frivolus complaints around here should disappear. 
    The youth of today are lazy. They expect all the good things for little effort. 
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the problems with vaulting for newcomers is the relative ease to get a 4* covered. But without the developed roster there is no way to get ISO fast enough and they are not prepared for the brutality of scaling and update MMR after they champion one of the 4*. And if I would join now, with the ingame information provided, I would uninstall the game after couple of weeks. And vaulting didn't do any good in this regard. The only thing that would help if the developers increase the iso stream and hp stream. That way the newcomers can roster every toon they draw from packs, level them and enjoy a bit of play (before the nightmare called scaling kicks in).  
  • Alsmir
    That would make sense if casual players weren't forced to compete against hardcore players both in PvE and PvP.

You know that in CL6 PvP progression rewards are only 3* covers? Not only I'm loosing points to 4* champed boosted teams, but even in my CL 6 bracket the top player is a guy with multiple 5* champions.

You might want to re0think your argument.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir said:
    That would make sense if casual players weren't forced to compete against hardcore players both in PvE and PvP.

You know that in CL6 PvP progression rewards are only 3* covers? Not only I'm loosing points to 4* champed boosted teams, but even in my CL 6 bracket the top player is a guy with multiple 5* champions.

Is it me? I admit I dropped down to SCL 6 for Hooked on a Feeling since I wanted two Star-Lord covers more than a Hulkbuster cover. I figured if I was able to champion Star-Lord that would give me a LT now while Thanos is still in the Latest Legends pool. Ordinarily I wouldn't leave the SCLs where you can get fourstar progression rewards though.
  • Alsmir
    mexus said:
    Alsmir said:

How is it, 
    does CL affect how strong opponents you face? Some people say no, some people say yeah.
    I'm with you, I think PVP is so damn rough and frustrating.
    Afaik, outside of noob brackets, just your points matter. When I start climbing late I might crush some 2* teams on the way, 300+ points usually means 3* rosters, after I hit 500-600 it's mostly 4* enemies. If I stay unshielded at 575, I'm getting hit by a bunch of boosted 4* champs regularly and every now and then by 5* players.

CLs only dictate what rewards you are fighting for. Similarly, you compete for placement against people in your bracket/CL/time slice.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Games are supposed to be fun. Playing the same story line over and over again is not fun. Competing against PVP is only fun if your team is about as strong as their's, but when your best team is made of championed 3* and you fight against those with championed 5*, it's annoying- no matter how good your strategy is, you just can't win. And you can't play too much either if you don't already have a great rooster, because PVP will get all your decent characters injured in no time. And "if you don't like it just don't play it" is not a great answer either. Because if too many drop out of the game, it will just be shut down and all your awesome roosters will worth nothing.
  • CNash
    edited May 2017
    mexus said:
    Prepare to cough up 1000 more for Rocket & Groot, 1000 more for Drax, 1000 more for Gamora, 1000 more for Star Lord. :)
    If you want them rostered, that is. You don't have to, now, or later. It's a choice. 

I'm more worried about the ISO-8 income, I think the forum will explode soon when everyone has like 4 new characters to ISO-feed.
    I don't mind paying for roster slots, but I'd like not to have to do it at such a breakneck pace. The original point of this topic was that I seem to be "lucky" enough to always pick up a new character within a day or two of them being released into the token pool. If I could grab the newbies a few weeks after their debut, that might give me some time to build up a reserve of HP...
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    mexus said:

Pro-tip: 
    Don't read or follow the story, just match tiles. Matching tiles is fun.
    :smile:

Yes, yes it is. But even that gets boring after a while. The boss battles are a breath of fresh air. But they're too rare imo.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Prepare to cough up 1000 more for Rocket & Groot, 1000 more for Drax, 1000 more for Gamora, 1000 more for Star Lord. :)

This movie event is straining my resources.  I usually have enough positive HP flow to easily roster the new releases buy dailies, and shield appropriately to earn the 4* without spending.  Here we got 3* Starlord, I "lucked" into 5* Starlord, got a couple covers of 5* Hawkeye which I'd previously not rostered, and then 4* Grocket.  I'm back down below 1k with Gamora coming up.  And Drax is coming, too?

Luckily the early season PVP hasn't been quite as punishing as the end of last season on me.  I've gotten away without having to spend quite so much shielding.  Time to stop spending on the lotto draws, though.