How important is the integrity of the game?

alphabeta
alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
Genuine question where I'm interested in views.

We've had major unpopular nerf's.
We've had Bonus hero exploits going unpunished despite blatant cheating on a near industrial scale.
and we've now got a well known Uber account being used by someone else rampaging through PVP

and yet the buy clubs keep rolling and I myself just reupped VIP

So I'm genuinely asking despite all I profess to hate it I'm still playing still spending - has anyone had the courage of their convictions that failed me and if you are like me and haven't what is a bridge to far if not this?

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sure, lots of people have quit, and lots of new people have started playing.  Churn is inevitable.  But I think we can make some guesses that the player base is not as happy as demi/d3 would like.  There have been some small indications that they see a potential problem on the horizon. 

(1) They gave out the unannounced no more heroes tokens to some players after the OML nerf
    (2) They introduced vintage heroic tokens (which suck, but also show demi knew it needed to do something)
    (3) the lead game designer posted answers to questions here on the forums and expressly said that enough player outrage would end vaulting (compare that to demi's response to Boss Rush, when they said "we have nothing else to say" and then shut down all discussion of the issue even AFTER asking for feedback).

Demi is sensitive to player feedback.  But it takes an awful lot of outrage here (and on reddit and other feedback channels), and probably some slippage in their sales numbers. 

And while there are definitely still buy clubs rolling along, the pace does seem to have slowed a bit (at least in the buy clubs that I follow).  Not too much, but 1-stark buys used to happen every 24-36 hours, but now happen every 2-3 days based on my unscientific observations. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    In terms of sales, my alliance is spending much less than before.  5 months ago, someone was buying a Stark every few days, now no one is buying Starks.  There are some $50 purchases once every week or so.

On a side note, they said that people who exploited the token bug would be punished.  I'm disappointed if that's not happening.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I'd say the integrity of the game is 'fine'.  I don't play many games hardcore enough to understand or learn about that side of the game but this sort of garbage seems commonplace.

One of the MAJOR issues here is the player base. 

Maybe I'm pointing the finger in the wrong place but IMO, if players were INFORMED of problems they'd be more vocal about them and put more pressure on the devs to actually act/punish offenders.

The fact of the matter is that many of these issues don't even surface on the forums until SEVERAL MONTHS after the fact.  Players should be reporting this stuff ASAP and making forum threads about its existence for mass awareness.

For the record, I don't consider character balancing an integrity issue.  Especially when nerfs are supported by buffs and lately buffs are far more common.  These things are done with best intentions to improve the game as a whole.  Its a patch feature, not an integrity issue.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    There's been some sandboxing maybe even some rollbacks but it would be nice to hear about it officially.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    That isn't true for everyone, Myst.  Some people are genuinely addicted to this game and it's hurting them, financially or socially.  And like all addictions, many of them don't even necessarily realize it.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Yes but addiction isn't about game integrity or courage of convictions.

We just quit Game of War.   The cost/benefit just wasn't there.   I still have to turn my alliance over to someone.  Someone being addicted to a game isn't on the game developers. 
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I do not know why anybody would give money to a company who only cares about their bottom dollar and certainly not the players. 
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do not know why anybody would give money to a company who only cares about their bottom dollar and certainly not the players. 
    because the game, at its core, is still fun?

i have cut back on my spending, simply because i reach a stage of progress which is acceptable to me. 

2 months ago, i purchased a few starks to chase that final dr Strange cover. Barely got it, and it became a 5* i was excited to use. 

I have refrained from buying starks, though i have been supporting the VIP.  Still feeling happy about my progress (like i manage to get my thanos fully covered!)
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Well most videogame companies really don't care. I'd actually say we don't have it bad here at all. We are listened to quite closely even if it seems like we are ignored. You can tell because when we put forward suggestions that wouldn't hurt longevity of the game or fundamentally change things they are sometimes incorporated or acted upon. Carnage rework one month later for example.

Generally we spend money though because for all the complaints we still find this game fun.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    It is quite discouraging.

Look at the vaulting. Massive amount of characters vaulted. People have lost tons of progress. Despite numerous suggestions to add a new "classic" token, nothing changes. Instead we get two new stores.

Obvious cashgrab.

I'm not sure if the game is dying, but devs are sure trying to squeeze every single penny out of it, no mattter the consequences.
  • Echoseis
    Echoseis Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    As long as people play and spend, there are no consequences. If they can do something as egregious as nerf a 5* for "reasons", and it barely slows anyone's gaming, then they know they have you hooked and can do whatever they please, hence the obvious cash grabs. I haven't played since the nerf, and it didn't really even affect me that much, I quit on principle. I am quite amused at all the complaining online by people whom probably just left a buy club, finished a grind, or took heavy losses in pvp. Your words mean a lot less than your money, and the time you invest in the game, and until those change nothing else really will. You'll get a small token here and there, "thanks for sticking with us token, that could have pulled you a dupe that CS wouldn't exchange". 

Do I miss the game? I give it a thought sometimes, but I don't see the purpose in playing anymore if the characters will be nerfed at any time for "reasons". These forums are pure comedy gold for the blind leading the blind though. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    At this point I have to ask what integrity?
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    All integrity,trust and goodwill was gone as soon the 5* oml nerf hit. The devs showed complete disregard for our trust, energy, money and time. A completely self-serving decision that was made without any of our input being taken into consideration. To me personally it marked the beginning of the end for this game. No amount of money or time you put into any character will ever be safe again.

Many have quit and many just stopped spending. Regardless I can't wait to see the whining and moaning that erupts when thanos is inevitably nerfed.

Thanos is next. Get ready for it. You'll probably get some **** tokens if you sell him and a courtesy 200 ISO for " sticking with us through the thanos rebalance".
  • Echoseis
    Echoseis Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Borstock said:

An integrity issue would be if they were using data gathering information to hack my phone. An integrity issue would be if they simply started charging me for VIP Access without telling me and it showed up on my Verizon bill without explanation. An integrity issue would be if they knew that one of the animations in the game was causing life-threatening seizures but left it in because it would cost them money to remove it. Stuff like that.
    No, those are legal issues. Integrity is more along the lines of making changes for one reason, but saying it's for another.  
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Integrity issues is more like having an EULA/TOS that only applies to people beneath a certain spending level.

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Subscription and sales numbers should be the driver, integrity matters only in how it impacts them.  I want a fun and fair game as a free player, but it would be absurd for me to stand on a soapbox and say they're somehow morally obligated to provide me that.