Time for In-Game Calculator

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm playing the Strange PvP. Hulkbuster is busted. Normally I would just lunch away but I need to calculate the damage for his red so I can one shot Dr. Strange without taking damage from his passive. Unfortunately as soon as I switched to my mobile calculator app and switched back to the battle, the game restarted. More often than not the game restarted if I use another app. I can't even text my wife if I'm in a battle, which is really annoying.

Regardless, it would be nice if the ability showed the actual within for abilities such as Hulkbuster red, Ares green, SLs red, etc. The guessing game or close estimate has sometimes cost me the battle on a few occasions. I love how Ghostriders black shows the true damage so I don't see why this cannot also apply to other similar abilities that damage increase based on AP, # of tiles, etc. 

Let's discuss. Would you like to see this? Have you lost a battle cause you estimated the damager to be higher than the result? Hate that the game restarts if you use another mobile app? Comment below.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like this as well. The calculations are very challenging to do in your head. Clearly the game knows what the damage will be. It would be nice if it would tell us, instead of making us try to figure out what it already knows.

Many moves would benefit... will pun's red kill or merely take away a few thousand hit points? Does iceman green take away 6000 or 14000 aoe? There should be a section at the bottom that states the exact damage of the move at that particular time.
  • genapp
    genapp Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I like this idea. It also gets trough trying to add up various value strike tiles. I really hate it when I tap one to see how much damage it does and accidentally swap it. 
  • Punisher5784
    genapp said:
    I like this idea. It also gets trough trying to add up various value strike tiles. I really hate it when I tap one to see how much damage it does and accidentally swap it. 

Ah that's a different issue. With all the special tiles generators, we definitely need an indicator at the top that shows how much Strike, Protect, Attack power we have for both sides. A couple years ago a player created a Battle UI that showed this. Despite all the positive feedback and likes, it still hasn't happened.. two years ago!
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Not to sound like a jerk, but 14k damage for 10 red ap (boosted) hardly seems that difficult. 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    also in character selection screen there should be a indicator with how colors will be tanked just symbols.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards

genapp said:
    I'll second this. It's super important when a goon CD is down to 1 or an enemy power is about to be fired and I'm trying to figure out if matching certain colors is enough to kill him or if I need to use my own power. Especially since there are 7 different matches all with different amounts of damage. WAY more times than I can count I've ended up leaving a someone with <10 hp and cursed loudly because of it.

also in character selection screen there should be a indicator with how colors will be tanked just symbols.
    I've asked for this exact thing in the Suggesting and Feedback section. Now with 4Carol we also need to see which enemy color is the strongest one so we know if we match for her passive damage. Right now it's a guessing game in PvP (in PvE you usually get multiple cracks at nodes so you can write it down but even that's annoying).

KGB
  • Punisher5784
    edited April 2017
    FokaiHI said:
    Not to sound like a jerk, but 14k damage for 10 red ap (boosted) hardly seems that difficult. 

Nah you don't sound like a jerk. I expected some players would say it's "not difficult". Sometimes it's not, but when I'm feeling the PvP pressure to quickly finish a match before I get beat down in pts, my mind shuts down in a frenzy. For instance I just used IMHBs red.. Strange had 35 HP left.. annoying.. but if his ability showed how much damage it would actually do then I would had waited one turn.

It's these small life quality changes that make us happy. Remember when they finally added the Strong Color indicator on the abilities (e.g. XFW black). Imagine trying to figure out how to use C4rols green ability without it.. it would be a nightmare.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Strong color I like. I think the player should take some fault into losing if he or she calculated wrong. It's happened to all of us. I just don't want a puzzle game taking out part of the puzzle. 
  • insound0
    insound0 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Yea puns 40% was always a wind up for me. If it was 50% itd be easier to work out. Ares green in the early days aswell
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    The problem for the devs would be the processing time needed to check and display the damage all the time. At this current state, the calculation is only done once a power is activated. To do what is asked, the game would have to do calculations for all powers present in that particular match, each turn. You can imagine how much more server time would be needed for that.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    The problem for the devs would be the processing time needed to check and display the damage all the time. At this current state, the calculation is only done once a power is activated. To do what is asked, the game would have to do calculations for all powers present in that particular match, each turn. You can imagine how much more server time would be needed for that.
    That would definitely be an issue but it would be local processing time, not server. Very early on, devs stated that no information is sent between client and server during a match. It's why you only need an internet connection before and after a match. It only sends win/loss and, if you won, health left on characters, from what I recall. 

It's why you have token exploits and pvp matches not awarding the stated number of points after a match. They wanted to keep server load down and did it at the cost of more real time information being sent between client and server.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    genapp said:

Ah that's a different issue. With all the special tiles generators, we definitely need an indicator at the top that shows how much Strike, Protect, Attack power we have for both sides. A couple years ago a player created a Battle UI that showed this. Despite all the positive feedback and likes, it still hasn't happened.. two years ago!
    I'm still not sure why this isnt a thing yet. It has been suggested many, many times. Personally, I think this example is a very good one.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    FokaiHI said:
    Does 13 ap at 1376 damage do more or less than 17643 damage?

What about Iceman green with quite a few blue tiles?

Definitely would be a welcome quality of life upgrade.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    As orbitalint said it would be local client time, also you only have to calculate it when someone opens the power description, and the calculation is extremely trivial. (Showing the power description is orders of magnitude more work than calculating the exact number)
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    I have often troublesome battles when I use Rocket and Groot. Match a yellow only to discover that I obviously wasn't below 25% health. 
    I approve your calculator idea..
    I just wait until their health bar pulsates to find a yellow match. It doesn't do that until 25% or less health. But not against the calculator idea at all.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be happy if they just listed it in the description like this:

Repulsor Punch - Cost: 9 Red AP
    Iron Man pours his energy reserves into his next punch, using repulsors in his elbow for extra force. Depletes his teams Red AP, dealing #### damage for each (##### total).

• Punisher5784
    I'd be happy if they just listed it in the description like this:

Repulsor Punch - Cost: 9 Red AP
    Iron Man pours his energy reserves into his next punch, using repulsors in his elbow for extra force. Depletes his teams Red AP, dealing #### damage for each (##### total).

Exactly. This should be the life quality change for 2017.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    This and the Transforming power chain power description updates in the character view.

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, the ones that always bothered me were R&G for healing, Punisher for one-shotting the enemy, Peggy for when her Yellow is no longer effective, and calculating the damage on attacks that are multipliers of board content.

Good thread, some great ideas.  I remember that UI layout, and it was pretty universally approved by the forum users.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal said:
    Yeah, the ones that always bothered me were R&G for healing, Punisher for one-shotting the enemy, Peggy for when her Yellow is no longer effective, and calculating the damage on attacks that are multipliers of board content.

Good thread, some great ideas.  I remember that UI layout, and it was pretty universally approved by the forum users.
    Everytime I go against Peggy, before I actually go into the battle I look at where her yellow is set (generally either 3 or 5 covers) and what the percent threshold is. Then I go to my calculator and figure out how far I need to take her down, again I do all this BEFORE going into the battle (don't want the game to restart if I go to my calculator in battle). An in game calculator would be a very welcome convienence!!