Plainswalker at lower Health when match ends [Devs Aware]

Options
sutoLkcalB
sutoLkcalB Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
Wenn playing "Eid der Wächter" (Oath of the gatewatch?) my PW had a life count of 48 left. When selecting another duel of this event it has only a life count of 3! Unfortunately it does not change back to 48 when then selecting another duel.

May be the game had a hick up. Because beside that bug I can now also not select my Deck for a duel. It says "do you really want to create a new event deck? Your deck will be overwritten."

Administrator Note: Changed the title slightly to help avoid from having duplicate threads created.

Comments

• Rough Tonality
    Rough Tonality Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I just got done with what was my 10th to 15th attempt to get the "win with 10 or less life" against Tyrant of Valakut in the Gatewatch 2 event. I finished with six life, but when it got to the rewards screen, I somehow mysteriously had 34 life and didn't get the extra 2 points. What gives? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease fix this! It shouldn't be to hard to fix!
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, it is a known bug/issue. You'd think it would be an easy fix.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the meantime, start the match at full life. That way, the life gain from the timer won't trigger if the match goes on long enough.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or you could just skip the optional. The last progression reward is a KLD Rare dupe which you might as well just skip. Why torture yourself?
  • Mainloop25
    edited January 2017
    Options
    *apologies for this comment, it was needlessly negative and typed in frustration *
  • Steeme
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Because it might be hard to believe, but not everyone is super jaded yet.

This has nothing to do with "being jaded". This is strictly economical. The amount of effort required to get the last progression reward is not worth it.

In addition, torturing yourself by repeating the Tyrant match over and over and over again while you roll the dice hoping for double-sixes on the river is actually detrimental to the player, as the experience of the game diminishes very steeply. If the player manages to eventually get the prize, only to find out it is a duplicate (not to mention weak card), that compounds the issue even further to the point that everyone would have been better off not bothering in the first place.

There are battles that are worth fighting for, then there are quote-unquote "challenges" that are just plain sadistic due to the effects of randomization and of course technical issues (like getting healed by the timer and having your victory robbed from you).

If you have fun repeating the match over and over again until you get lucky, by all means continue. The minute you start losing enjoyment, stop.

My recommendation is to just cruise through to the second last progression, then if you really want to go for it, start with the Tyrant match. If you can't get the second objective, you can't win the prize, so don't waste your time with the objectives of the other matches. To me this is really poor design, as it basically invalidates all of the other objectives if you can't make the Tyrant objective.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    All valid points, but I feel it's more constructive overall to actually share strategies on how to achieve a very difficult objective than to basically encourage people to give up.

I got those 2 points on my second try this go-round, and I gave one hint already as to how. Even though my rare was a dupe, yes, it wasn't that much effort for a decent shot at new rare.
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please, there's no need to tell the OP whether they should try to hit that secondary or not - they weren't asking if that makes sense, they were asking about an issue they've experienced with that objective. There's also no need to call players who choose to skip that objective 'jaded'. Thanks!

As a side note, Tyrant's secondaries should probably be swapped, as the first one seems much more difficult than the second - especially with all the lifelink we now have at our disposal.

Moving this thread to Bugs and Technical Issues
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Alve wrote:
    Please, there's no need to tell the OP whether they should try to hit that secondary or not - they weren't asking if that makes sense, they were asking about an issue they've experienced with that objective. There's also no need to call players who choose to skip that objective 'jaded'. Thanks!

As a side note, Tyrant's secondaries should probably be swapped, as the first one seems much more difficult than the second - especially with all the lifelink we now have at our disposal.

I apologize for my "jaded" comment, but I'll stand by the notion that it's more helpful to offer suggestions to work around the OP's issue, rather than encourage them to give up.
  • Alve
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Alve wrote:

I apologize for my "jaded" comment, but I'll stand by the notion that it's more helpful to offer suggestions to work around the OP's issue, rather than encourage them to give up.

I totally agree. If someone asks how to achieve an objective, telling them to just give up trying to hit secondaries or get progression rewards is not very helpful :)
  • Ironwolf
    Ironwolf Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. I had Kozilek out as the only creature with Nahiri, activated the 4x reinforce with all my cards in my hand deativated so they wouldn't cast for the final blow to win. I had 9 hit points and was psyched to win this finally, only to win with 19 hit points. I quadruple checked before I did a match of loyalty only. All cards turned off for no casts.

Another time I should have ended with about 14 and ended up at 21.

Very irritating and agree that the effort for a rare is not worth the aggravation. Especially when the game is either programmed to not allow it, bugged (not surprising because this game is still full of bugs) or cheats.
  • Steeme
    Options
    Alve wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Alve wrote:

I totally agree. If someone asks how to achieve an objective, telling them to just give up trying to hit secondaries or get progression rewards is not very helpful icon_e_smile.gif

You missed the point. I'm sharing my experience beforehand in order to declare what's necessary to get the final prize. You have to win the second objective of Tyrant in order to win the last progression, so if you can't get it, don't bother perfecting the other objectives because there is no reward for it.

Human beings can make their own decisions. If I recommend skipping the objective, then what I'm doing is giving everyone a "heads up" so they know what they're getting into. Some people will still go for it, good on them, but for others they might have something more rewarding to do with their time. Since I myself made the mistake the last time the event ran, the least I can do is warn others ahead of time.

This was originally posted in the General forums, where we discuss things. Some things you think are "positive" and others you may think are "negative", but you need the perspective from both sides in order to get a clear view. Contrary to what you think, both arguments are actually helpful.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Alve wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Alve wrote:

I totally agree. If someone asks how to achieve an objective, telling them to just give up trying to hit secondaries or get progression rewards is not very helpful icon_e_smile.gif

You missed the point. I'm sharing my experience beforehand in order to declare what's necessary to get the final prize. You have to win the second objective of Tyrant in order to win the last progression, so if you can't get it, don't bother perfecting the other objectives because there is no reward for it.

Human beings can make their own decisions. If I recommend skipping the objective, then what I'm doing is giving everyone a "heads up" so they know what they're getting into. Some people will still go for it, good on them, but for others they might have something more rewarding to do with their time. Since I myself made the mistake the last time the event ran, the least I can do is warn others ahead of time.

This was originally posted in the General forums, where we discuss things. Some things you think are "positive" and others you may think are "negative", but you need the perspective from both sides in order to get a clear view. Contrary to what you think, both arguments are actually helpful.

No I got your point. But some people don't find it as difficult to hit that objective as you did. I did it twice with my Ajani deck in 4 tries. And sorry, but I don't think telling someone to not to bother trying to hit that objective is "giving them a head's up."
  • Steeme
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    No I got your point. But some people don't find it as difficult to hit that objective as you did. I did it twice with my Ajani deck in 4 tries. And sorry, but I don't think telling someone to not to bother trying to hit that objective is "giving them a head's up."

I was stating that Alve missed my point, because it was declared that I wasn't being helpful.

And with regards to your "success rate", I think you're forgetting the OP. He clearly stated that he finally got the objective after "his 10th or 15th try" only to have it robbed from him.

When you take my post and put it back in the proper context, ie. as a response to the OP, it may suddenly seem more like a "hey man, don't stress yourself about it, it can be skipped" which is quite compassionate to his experience. If you can't read it that way, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about it.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    If you had simply put it that way, you might have a better case. However, your first and second responses to the OP tell us that you believe the objective is basically a **** shoot, and that it's not worth the effort to figure out how to achieve it. It's not a **** shoot. It's difficult, yes, but not as hard as everyone thinks it is. There are a few things that you can do to make it easier.

1. Start the match at full health, with full potions. I am not 100% sure that will make sure the life gain at the end doesn't trigger, but it seems to mitigate the chances for me.

2. Use a planeswalker that you have a good mix of fat creatures, plenty of kill spells, and disabling capabilities. I choose Ajani for this purpose.

3. Use Orbs of Warding. This gives you a small but significant ability in controlling how much damage you take, especially if you get near the end and a hasty bird + tyrant's ability doesn't suddenly kill you.

I just uploaded a video of this in action on my YouTube page if you want to check it out.

Hope this helps you and the OP. Let me know if this strategy works for you, if you try it next time the event comes around.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    1. Start the match at full health, with full potions. I am not 100% sure that will make sure the life gain at the end doesn't trigger, but it seems to mitigate the chances for me.
    For clarity: you just need full health at start. If your regen timer is ticking during the match, you'll gain life @ the end and may fail the objective, depending on a) how much life you had and b) how much you gained.
  • Alve
    Options
    I also find it easier if you don't have any lifelink at all in your deck. Or any lifegain in general. Even Underhanded Designs sometimes seem to make me randomly gain some life.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Yeah, i thought so, Octal9. I just put that in there to be absolutely safe but it's probably not necessary.

Oh yeah i should add the lifelink thing too. I neglected to add that, because I have taken it for granted. But yes, something about lifegain screws with it too.
  • Blorbleflorp
    Blorbleflorp Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This just happened to me, except my Planeswalker was fully dead after a match in the Training Grounds. I ended with something 50-60 life, but was presumed dead after returning to fight again.