2.0 First Impressions

Options
THEMAGICkMAN
THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
So! Lets talk about update 2.0, and what I thought of it from the time its been around.

1. Event Decks. I'm still not 100% sure about how this will work, only time will tell. After we've had a PvP event I'll be sure to edit in my thoughts.

2. Deck Slots! Firstly, they're finally here!!!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, are they the godsend we all hoped and dreamed of? I don't think so, not quite. However they are still really, really nice. The costs on them are a bit obnoxious, but their functionality should be worth it. Definitely great, but I know I'd use them waaaaaay more if they cost less.

3. Theme Decks. These are... Interesting, obviously not aimed at the portion of the player base I fit into, but I'd love to hear a new players perspective on them. To me they're nothing to work towards, just some free runes/jewels here and there. Not much to say here.

4. Autofill. Same as above.

5. Training Grounds. Ehhhhhh. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. I miss Quick Battle, can we have quick battle back but with the "event structure" and the progression rewards? Training grounds is nice, and I like the UI for it, personally, but I miss the races and the grind of QB. Its not for everyone, that's for sure. But the people who did like it, really liked it. #bringbackquickbattle

6. Updated UI. All around pretty great. I can't fault much here, it really does look more professional, more crisp. I like the new UI, overall. Did it need a change? Probably. Am I happy with the change? Definitely.

7. Baral. YESSSSSS No more troll decks. Yes, I feel bad that a bunch of you payed cash for him, and he got changed, but I am not at all unhappy with the change. Is he a worse card? Yeah. (And for those of you that argue that he's better now - you really can't get much better than consistent 3rd turn wins. Its basically the pinnacle of OPness. He was OP, now he's not. Nuff said as far as I'm concerned. There are other topics to continue this debate though)

8. Other bug fixes and improvements. Clues are colourless and don't prioritise white gems any more, meh, doesn't change much to be honest. (although they trigger sram now). Apparently Sigardas been fixed. Haven't been able to see for sure though. A bunch of other minor bug fixes. Cool. Apparently we can view objectives before choosing planeswalkers, which is great. The double-tap-supports-to-view-them bug was fixed, I think. Haven't tested yet. Evergreen ability icons should no longer show when viewing opponents hands. Guess what. It hasn't been fixed, at all. Really guys? Cmon. Apparently they did something about a prompt for hitting the top of platinum mastery, have to wait and see on that one. Some other small stuff.

Overall, pretty damn good I'd say. They didn't massively screw over their entire playerbase this time, which is a plus. Quick Battle leaving sucks, it really sucks. But other than that, not bad guys. I would still have to give this update a 1/10 because you removed QB, but if you didn't it'd be a solid 7/10. Maybe 8. we'll see.

What do you think of update 2.0? Lemme know! 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm actually pretty happy with the update. Im just glad that it's easier to select a Planeswalker now without spending ages scrolling.

Edit: it also feels like combat animations are faster, which is definitely nice.

Edit 2: ...wait -wheres Quick Battle gone?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Things I really liked:

1) faster loading
    2) reduction in trials games
    3) ability to edit decks in events tab itself. 
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

Event + Deck slots basically tripled my productivity in this game.  I can start with my standard deck, then modify it specifically for an encounter.  I wasn't doing this before, so I was basically gimping myself in all events, but that won't be the case anymore.  Tested it out in the Gatewatch II event and it makes a huge difference.

Training Ground event is perfect for what it is.  A daily event where you simply need to win 4 matches to complete it.  You get some runes and crystals on a consistent basis if you play it consistently.  I like this is much better than a login bonus.  Unfortunately the Training Ground will get a bad rap because it is seen as a replacement for QB.

Theme decks.  Some of them require Lightning Runner / Dynavolt Tower.  How am I expected to ever complete these decks?  There is no feasible way in this game to obtain all cards in a set.  It is practically unattainable and obtaining specific cards is based purely on luck combined with the law of large numbers.

There could be a whole lot more done with theme decks though.  My thoughts were that you could play with those decks for bonus Runes or something.  Like take the "Beginner" theme deck and win 5 matches with it in the training ground in order to get some type of bonus.

Game is much faster now!  When I play BTB it feels like I'm in turbo mode.  Saheeli's third brought out my Boomships faster, although it would be even faster with a vehicle that didn't have an on entry mechanic.  Haven't tried any fabricates yet, I'm at work right now so only played for a bit.

Baral is absolutely superb.  It's going to take a while to find the sweet spot but he is literally the Blue creature I was looking for.  Once you drop him you can focus on filling mana in creatures while your spells casually fill 4 mana per turn for free.  It actually makes Scatter + Coastal Discovery much more powerful, because you can put them at the bottom of your hand to build the awaken cost.

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Like:
     it's faster,
    Nahiri background,
    deck slots.
    Pw grid

Don't like:
    qb removal,
    bugged cards (seems that some images are not working correctly - harnessed lightning,  Rashmi). Constant info which I cannot turn off - that defender block, that's event deck is separated from custom.
     Also in events like oath - choosing pw for each fight separately is unnecessary clicking. It should be prechoosed the previous one.
    Training ground "cheat" - select 1 lvl pw, after first fight switch to 18 lvl (you'll be paired with low level, then to 30-40, then 60). For training grounds it doesn't matter but in pvp if there is a event you can switch pw....

Suggestion: add option to copy decks do different purchased slot
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Missing QB.  Means I will be spending less time in game and more time in RL.  Bonus for wife. Not so great for me. I loved grinding for reward and leader boards
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Training Stats win loose ratio resets after a day FYI
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    seems ok so far small issues and while game seems to run better, is nice to get the extra crystals from training grounds but still the **** packs just makes it about what you took away it seems. barals nerf while it seems that way personally i am in favor of how he works now i can afford better spells a lot higher ones if i can time when i need them so they can be full just in time for delivery ;-)
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With every new update this game is less free to play and more pay to win.The last update improves the user interface but it is not enough. Removing quick battle is a wrong movement, new training event rewards are poor very, very, very poor. In quick battle you could get boosters , cards, runes and crystals, now only runes and much less crystals.

Con cada actualización este juego es menos gratis para jugar y mas paga para ganar. Se ha mejorado la interfaz de usuario,  pero no es suficiente. Quitar la batalla rápida es un error,  el nuevo evento de entrenamiento tiene recompensas muy, muy, muy pobres. En las batallas rápidas podías obtener sobres, cartas, runas y cristales, ahora sólo runas y muchos menos cristales.
  • Copioso
    Copioso Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I absolutely love being reminded that an event deck only lasts during the event and can be modified without modifying my custom decks EVERY SINGLE TIME I assign a deck to an event node. Ok, got it.

That being said, overall the game really feels smoother now. Much appreciated.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In training grounds for each battle you win you just get 100 runes instead of the 300 you got in a quick battle match, ridiculous.

D3go DID NOT LISTEN what players said about rewards in the last update, but they have made the rewards even worse.

Good luck
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme said:
    Game is much faster now!  When I play BTB it feels like I'm in turbo mode. 
    It's on Turbo mode if you constantly tap away at the screen like a madman with no concern for his RSI. If you just leave the game alone it's still pretty slow.

I've suggested before a feature where leaving your finger on the screen would speed everything up as if you were tapping it manically. It'd really, really help me out. Thanks :)
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's probably just the long waiting time and anticipation, but at first glance the update seems a bit underwhelming. But there actually no changes I really dislike. I love the fast animation (finally Tez2 is even more fun!), the better look. The deck slots seem fine but I'm waiting for an event where that matters (OftG is just too annoying by now for me to really care to make finely tuned decks). I don't miss QB as I found it too exhausting to actually get something out of it, but I will miss an easy way to get runes. I like the idea of the Training Grounds as a little mini event each day. The theme decks seem a bit odd at the moment because you look at those missing super amazing cards and think "Thanks for reminding me that I really want those cards!" But I guess it will make it even more gratifying if you get any of the cards and a deck is completed.

Overall, well done, but it doesn't really help the fatigue at the moment. We'll have to see what the next set does it that and if after its release the same routine starts to wear us down (another member of my coalition quit yesterday).
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    UI changes are generally great, although if I had to make one suggestion, could we have the old PW portraits back, and just a stripe with the relevant colours at the bottom?  I liked the artwork there.

The added features are all nice, but unfortunately the underlying problems still remain, so I've only gone from pessimistic to having mixed feelings.

• Razrbck89
    Razrbck89 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
     I'm still struggling to level up my planeswalkers and they've only made it even harder for those of us who didn't play a ton when you could earn millions of runes easily. I don't understand why they hate new players so much. Mana runes only had one use for the longest time so I just don't understand continuing to nerf them into the ground.  
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Razrbck89 said:
     I'm still struggling to level up my planeswalkers and they've only made it even harder for those of us who didn't play a ton when you could earn millions of runes easily. I don't understand why they hate new players so much. Mana runes only had one use for the longest time so I just don't understand continuing to nerf them into the ground.  

For this you can thank the people here for complaining about having too much runes. 

And they say devs don't listen. 
  • Razrbck89
    Razrbck89 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Razrbck89 said:

For this you can thank the people here for complaining about having too much runes. 

And they say devs don't listen. 
    Yea, honestly they should've left QBs alone and just added the deck slot that costs 45000 runes for the people who have way too many runes. Now I will probably never get even half of my planeswalkers to max level and I don't see any reason to even bother trying anymore.
    I'm pretty sure they wanted people to level their PWs to 60 but it's gong to have the opposite effect for FtP and those of us who would spend money if we felt they actually cared.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Why make two different PW select menus that work totally differently? There's one for selecting your PWs for an event with a nice horizontal scrolly action, and one in the main PW screen which scrolls vertically.

[edit] I like the horizontal one best. Although, I'd like to be able to select my decks for an event without necessarily having to load the card list from them first, although i'd still like that option.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The Event Deck slots are "good enough" and I probably don't need to actually purchase any extra deck slots, at least not in the same yearning I had when I had to have three PW's stuck on vehicles for two days out of every week...