Training Grounds

Options
2»

Comments

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If anyone wants a challenge, they could play the original 5 planeswalkers using the beginner level decks.
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    So a question.... when I am matched up, I'm being paired up against players almost 10 levels a above me.... every. Single. Time.  I'm level 51 and my opponents have all been level 60. I've decent decks and had a 93% W/L ratio in QB and was paired with players no higher than 3 or 4 levels above me. But this???  against these guys it is almost a bloodbath... I enjoy the challenge but beginning to be a little annoyed that I'm getting my **** handed to me by players with all the good mythics. Meh.... I'm venting,  don't mind me.  But I am curious as to why the level gap during pairing is now considerably higher.  

I noticed this too, I played with a mid-level PW, and another in the low 50s, and each time there was a gap of around 10 levels.

I also played a few decks that were all mythics. I didn't mind, there's no penalty for losing and one of the matches was pretty fun, but those decks were noticeable more jacked than the typical QB deck. Though could always just be coincidence.

Sadly, I didn't see any copies of Caustic Caterpillar played, and he was the previous mainstay of QB. So maybe the matching code was changed a bit.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    If anyone wants a challenge, they could play the original 5 planeswalkers using the beginner level decks.
    Well, I guess that true? There's the question of whether one of these decks suddenly running up against Drowner TSN is challenging, or just impossible? But yes, I guess I'll randomly get thrown up against some decks which are challenging to play against every so often.

But, um, that's not what I actually want, and if you don't ask, you don't get! I want to play my most powerful decks, and be matched up against powerful decks! Of course, I don't want EVERYONE to have to play top tier decks... I'd like to see everyone playing decks that are around their appropriate power levels.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it picks opponents at random for the level of the planeswalker you last used to play a match. Some of my matches have been pushovers, some less so. Pretty sure completely random opponent was the same as quick battle.

My only issue is that at least in quick battle if I changed planeswalkers between matches, my next opponent was appropriate to my level. Not so here. Wanna try out that Ajani you just got? Better throw the first match if you were using your level 60 Koth for the previous matches...
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You only have to win 4 games, and you have an infinite number of chances to do it.  So, if you're testing out a new walker who is underpowered, maybe play them game 5 or something.

Heck, they even give you 50 runes for losing the game.  Think of all those precious, precious runes.
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    LOL The difference between winning and losing after game 4 is just 50 runes
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,943 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it would encourage more game play if you got extra progression rewards per planeswalker used. Doesn't have to be anything amazing, but what if you got 5 crystals for every 4 battles you won per planeswalker. As it stands now, I can just use the same Nahiri qb deck and collect my 15 crystal prize like a daily reward with not that much more effort. There's no incentive to play beyond that. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    You only have to win 4 games, and you have an infinite number of chances to do it.  So, if you're testing out a new walker who is underpowered, maybe play them game 5 or something.

Heck, they even give you 50 runes for losing the game.  Think of all those precious, precious runes.
    I'm not talking about for rewards. Quick Battle was always my go-to place to learn how a new planeswalker worked and try out deck ideas. Now if I want to do that, I have to throw the first match then use a healing potion to revive the new, now dead, planeswalker.

if I change which planeswalker I'm using, it should reset my opponent if the one previously selected is no longer level appropriate.