Training Grounds

Options
wereotter
wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
So..... here's an immediate issue I'm seeing/encountering with regards to this as opposed to Quick Battle.

Let's assume I did a match with a level 60 planeswalker, and I now feel like I want to swap to a newer or different planeswalker, and that one is only level 35. When I swap, my opponent is still the randomly selected level 60 opponent, meaning I'm obliged to forfeit a match or take on an outsized challenge in order to reset my opponent to one appropriate to my level. Additionally this works in reverse. If I initially select an opponent with a level 5 planeswalker, I can then swap to a level 60 one and still have the low level planeswalker as my opponent.

It seems as though if you switch what deck you're going to use, your opponent should be re-selected

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Being able to see your opponent is certainly a new aspect for the Training Grounds. I imagine some players may relish the opportunity to sideboard against specific opponents.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do like that, for sure, though in a Quick-Battle-esqe type of scenario, it's not really that mandatory.
  • shteev
    Options
    I will say that seeing my opponent and being able to choose a foil for them is going to make larger win streaks much more easy and therefore less of an achievement, especially as (I'm guessing that) opponents in the Training Grounds will be completely random, without even being selected by Tier (?)
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's not like streaks were much of an achievement anyway, except maybe as a personal goal to chase after.
  • shteev
    Options
    julianus said:
    It's not like streaks were much of an achievement anyway, except maybe as a personal goal to chase after.
    Streaks were always the things I cared most about on old QB :)
  • shteev
    Options
    And of course Training Grounds is going to put an announcement in your inbox every time it ends. Why wouldn't it.
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    But a new one should come out immediately, shouldn't it?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But a new one should come out immediately, shouldn't it?
    I was just saying this in chat. Why isn't there a new one right away? Why do we have to wait?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @AngelForge @Matthew

That's a good question! I'll pass it along to the developers, since to my knowledge you're supposed to be able to play that game mode at any time.
  • voodoo_gremlin
    voodoo_gremlin Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Silly question...where is the training ground? I haven't seen it on the ui. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Silly question...where is the training ground? I haven't seen it on the ui. 
    Not a silly question. It disappeared entirely after the timer ran out. In the post right before you, Brigby is saying that he'll talk to the development team to see why it has disappeared without restarting another round.
  • shteev
    Options
    New Training Grounds is now available. Yey!

Win % has been wiped. Boo!
  • shteev
    Options
    I have to say: The Training Grounds are not challenging enough. I've just taken my Favorite DB Deploy angels deck in, and my first game faced me up against Hound of the Farbogs, Ghoulsteed, and Baloth Null. It was something of a walkover, as you can imagine. 

Can I please not be pitted against decks that are absolutely no challenge to me? I mean, we have this Tier system for a reason, don't we?
  • damonsteine
    damonsteine Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Tier in training grounds?

I was informed I was in bronze tier, anyone else experienced that.  on other events I'm platinum.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can't believe the win counter resets.  Please tell me this is a glitch.

Yippee.  Four game win streak.  Woo hoo.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:
    I have to say: The Training Grounds are not challenging enough. I've just taken my Favorite DB Deploy angels deck in, and my first game faced me up against Hound of the Farbogs, Ghoulsteed, and Baloth Null. It was something of a walkover, as you can imagine. 

Can I please not be pitted against decks that are absolutely no challenge to me? I mean, we have this Tier system for a reason, don't we?

Conversely, I took a new Saheeli deck to try and build out a deck with the new Baral.  I have never seen so many highly optimized decks in QB in my entire life.  I felt like I was in FIRF trying to spam vehicles against a Merciside deck.

QB used to be casual.  Sometimes you run into a brick wall, but you just quit / restart.  This Training Grounds feels like anything but casual.  It actually feels like I'm in a PVP tournament.  Isn't that the exact opposite of their intent?

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,943 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme said:
    shteev said:

Conversely, I took a new Saheeli deck to try and build out a deck with the new Baral.  I have never seen so many highly optimized decks in QB in my entire life.  I felt like I was in FIRF trying to spam vehicles against a Merciside deck.

QB used to be casual.  Sometimes you run into a brick wall, but you just quit / restart.  This Training Grounds feels like anything but casual.  It actually feels like I'm in a PVP tournament.  Isn't that the exact opposite of their intent?

I played to progression (because why would I go any further anymore?) and I saw no difference in difficulty between this new event and QB. 
  • wolfger
    wolfger Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    shteev said:
    New Training Grounds is now available. Yey!

Win % has been wiped. Boo!
    Now what would be awesome is if this is just step one to some actual decent stats, on a per-deck basis or per-PW basis, rather than just an overall win% that lumps your **** test decks in with your established good decks...
  • Razrbck89
    Razrbck89 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Steeme said:
    It actually feels like I'm in a PVP tournament.  Isn't that the exact opposite of their intent?
    Welcome to the last several patches, this is just par for the course for these people apparently. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,439 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So a question.... when I am matched up, I'm being paired up against players almost 10 levels a above me.... every. Single. Time.  I'm level 51 and my opponents have all been level 60. I've decent decks and had a 93% W/L ratio in QB and was paired with players no higher than 3 or 4 levels above me. But this???  against these guys it is almost a bloodbath... I enjoy the challenge but beginning to be a little annoyed that I'm getting my **** handed to me by players with all the good mythics. Meh.... I'm venting,  don't mind me.  But I am curious as to why the level gap during pairing is now considerably higher.