When will shield rank expand past 125?

13»

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    This really needs to be addressed @Brigby. Can you please ask someone behind the scenes to update us on this? I have been stuck at this wall for months. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards

Daiches said:
    @Brigby,

It's been 3 months now and no comment.  Can we please get an update on this?  Why is their a rank cap?  When is it going to be expanded?  What are the devs waiting on?

If, as last time, the ISO rewards and levels are accruing behind the scenes anyway, why is the cap there?  If the thought is that when the cap expands new things will be available or given away, why can't THOSE things be retroactively provided while the ISO and level increases be made available immediately?
    It's not like the Cap even means anything. The highest required rank to get something new is 51 or so. A lot of us already started higher than that when scl were introduced. 
    He wants the iso.
  • Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Brigby, I second. Could we at least get a "This will be addressed in the future." statement? Thanks!

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross said:
    +1 for the wall, allowing other to catch-up
    Yeah, that is my take too.  I'll hit that wall soon enough and so will people behind me.  Let them (and me) get their 100K reward before moving the goalposts.  
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm halfway through 120 myself, definitely getting concerned too. Please don't take my iso away! 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    sh81 said:
    I wouldnt worry to much.  I think when they do open up past 125 itll be like when they first introduced levels - youll get a back dated iso-dump.

I went in at 62 (I think) and got 400k in one hit.  It was enough to champ all my 3s (where I was completely starved) and then build a bank of over 3million for when I moved onto 4*s.

Im down to 500k now, but also at a natural impasse to hoarding so its worked out very well - thanks to that initial pay off.

Any of you guys at 125 now, youll be getting a big boost Im willing to bet.

And I think we'd all be ok with that, whenever it happens, but D3's silence on the matter makes no sense. Why not just tell us yes it's coming and all of your gameplay will be rewarded? The silence is deafening and frankly, a little disheartening. You stop gaining XP altogether for doing anything in the game and it feels like you're not progressing.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    I wouldnt worry to much.  I think when they do open up past 125 itll be like when they first introduced levels - youll get a back dated iso-dump.

I went in at 62 (I think) and got 400k in one hit.  It was enough to champ all my 3s (where I was completely starved) and then build a bank of over 3million for when I moved onto 4*s.

Im down to 500k now, but also at a natural impasse to hoarding so its worked out very well - thanks to that initial pay off.

Yeah that's what we're hoping for, been stuck for two weeks now.
    However, continued silence from the Reds on the matter isn't an encouraging sign, neither is the removal of the XP gain sign once you hit 125.

Back when the max was 100, this still showed so you knew there was tracking going on behind the scenes.
    Now we don't, which is why we'd like confirmation.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    sh81 said:

In my opinion, that's quite unlikely. Certainly what happened at the introduction isn't applicable to the current situation.

Back when they introduced Shield Rank, they took your roster and awarded you an equivalent amount of XP. (so a lvl 285 IMHB would be worth 13*10xp for the covers and 25*20xp for the champ levels)

That was a fairly straightforward process and worked for everyone.

Now, unless there's a hidden xp counter in the background, and the value you see in-game is always converted from that number (i.e. 65321 xp = shield rank 83 with 373 xp towards the next level), they have no reasonable way to track how much xp you got since you hit the 125-wall.

I think it's far more likely that all the xp gathered now is just discarded.
  • Starfury
    edited July 2017
    sh81 said:
    I disagree.  

They must have data on your token pulls, roster development and match results, and could extrapolate xp from that.

Key word is could. (and even that's not certain)
    They could - at a considerable effort. Which wouldn't be in any relation to the amount of players this affects.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    sh81 said:
    I disagree.  

They must have data on your token pulls, roster development and match results, and could extrapolate xp from that.

Key word is could. (and even that's not certain)
    They could - at a considerable effort. Which wouldn't be in any relation to the amount of players this affects.
    As the person above me stated, as long as the data is there, it wouldn't take much effort at all.
  • Starfury
    edited July 2017
    Even if the data exists, getting the information you want from it isn't straightforward. Especially if it's audit data like who opened what token when with what outcome. Generally that's designed to be written once and never read.

You're free to hold out hope. I wouldn't.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    The silver lining to this is, on the vacation PVEs, you don't even have to green check
  • Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    I agree with the feeling that it feels like I'm not progressing any more at all. It's frustrating. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Starfury said:
    sh81 said:

In my opinion, that's quite unlikely. Certainly what happened at the introduction isn't applicable to the current situation.

Back when they introduced Shield Rank, they took your roster and awarded you an equivalent amount of XP. (so a lvl 285 IMHB would be worth 13*10xp for the covers and 25*20xp for the champ levels)

That was a fairly straightforward process and worked for everyone.

Now, unless there's a hidden xp counter in the background, and the value you see in-game is always converted from that number (i.e. 65321 xp = shield rank 83 with 373 xp towards the next level), they have no reasonable way to track how much xp you got since you hit the 125-wall.

I think it's far more likely that all the xp gathered now is just discarded.

I would be inclined the same and was coming to say the same thing.  If you are expecting this you're setting yourself up for failure because none of the facts we have available make this outcome likely:

Facts:

- Once you hit 125 you no longer see XP gains (Occam's razor would tell us that's because you've stopped getting them, not it's hidden)

- The only time they've ever done a one-time increase in level (when introduced) it used different critea that couldn’t be re-used in this case (total roster development)

- The devs track record (take that as you will)

Also what would the point of capping just to later bump people to what they would have gotten without the cap anyway?  The only reasons I can think for having a cap are:

1.  Actively work on getting the highest players into some sort of range and prevent the likely sprawl across vet accounts.

2.  Slow ISO gains for highest accounts (prevent hackers cheaters from exploiting this too far) 

3.  Short-sightedness / laziness in coding (by not allowing it to just go up infinitely or at least ludicrously high)

4.  it’s a coding limitation of some kind.

Immediately providing levels and ISO missed without the cap would invalidate number 1 & 2 completely.  If #3 is the reason then why on earth would they be short-sited enough to have a low cap, but fore-sited enough to plan for giving levels later through secret XP gain mechanics??  Similarly with #4 if it's a coding limitation it's probably to do with the size of the XP value, which would invalidate any secretly keeping track of XP.

(Off topic: I usually use Chrome but am using IE today; apparently the icons for editing your posts are white on white in IE?  Was there intentional effort made to make the new forum this bad??)

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    When they expanded from 100 to 125 *after introduction*, retro-AP was applied.

Contrary to above statements, a time series extract of logged events would be *easy* to construct on a "XpUpdaterJob" that walked a players event stream, all of which events are pushed to the servers already.

5: having it unbounded makes it just a chase into infinity. Having it bounded means there's a goalpost for players to feel like they're getting closer to and thus makes it more desirable to make choices based on "finishing" - this can encourage spending, especially if you put a cookie on the goal line. (100K iso isn't terrible as a cookie...)

I wasn't aware of that.  Yeah that does change if it there is a historical precedence. 

Insightful post.  You could be right and I hope for the sake of those at the level it is.  For my level 93 it's all a pipe dream right now anyway.