Sweeping "Bad publicity" threads under the rug unfairly?

Jonny1Punch
Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
I spent a lot of time and energy writing a very appropriate article for general discussion early today. It included a very healthy insight into the recent nerf of oml and many other trending and popular topics going on right now . It received relatively high acclaim and invoked a positive and healthy general discussion. However it was definitely not favorable to the current state of MPQ. This article I wrote can be found here:

http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/63502/the-aftermath-of-selling-a-post-nerf-lvl-519-oml-and-what-it-taught-me#latest

This was moved quickly within 12 hours of me posting it to " suggestions and feedback " in what I'm guessing is an effort to hide something that exposed many cracks and flaws in the games current state. Many other topics exist in general discussion that are way more off-topic and inappropriate to general discussion then mine.

So why was it moved and why no official response from any Dev/red name on the issue? Feels cheap to hide everything that could potentially turn away money and hurt your bottom line even though it's totally appropriate.

Comments

• Jonny1Punch
    Exactly my point oldboy : )

They are free to engage the community in a healthy debate anytime. Running and hiding is always a great option too.......  much easier and safer!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've noticed an increase in this recently too. 
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Ah I was wondering where your post had gone!
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Brigby, you are the best. Thank you.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I thought it was more testimony than feedback and a great read, "Come here to talk about any game related topics", seems an appropriate  place.  Looking forward to the conversation.
  • Jonny1Punch
    But the topic appears closed....... why?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    It's a weird thing with the new forums.  It's open in Suggestions and Feedback, but closed in General Discussion, and shows differently in each forum accordingly.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Standard procedure, before real censorship kicks in. Move important threads into sub-forum that nobody reads.
    Right now I'm expecting a bunch of new accounts, that start posting about "how the game is great and vaultink rocks".
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I complained in a thread about the brutality of the constant animations in the Cloak and Dagger PvP and it was promptly whisked away as well. Overmoderation does no one any favors and if this is where we want to discuss a topic we should be able to do that. This is where everybody is. Moving a topic to suggestions and feedback is about the same as a deletion.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    New McG said:
    snlf25 said:
    I complained in a thread about the brutality of the constant animations in the Cloak and Dagger PvP and it was promptly whisked away as well. Overmoderation does no one any favors and if this is where we want to discuss a topic we should be able to do that. This is where everybody is. Moving a topic to suggestions and feedback is about the same as a deletion.
    Except when you make a complaint about something like extensive animations, the idea is that you're directing it at the devs, I assume with the intent of making it known that you dislike it? (You know, since they are the ones who can actually do something about it.) If so, then it definitely belongs in the "suggestions and feedback". "Everyone" (meaning other players) may be here, but you know who presumably follows those suggestion and feedback threads pretty closely? The devs or their intermediaries.

Do you seriously believe that?

Or is your point that they read the feedback and deliberately ignore it?
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    The suspicion has always been there.  The boss rush complaint thread was originally stickied to the front page.  Lots of time (weeks?) went by without resolving any of our issues, and it eventually got unstickied and would need to be bumped to keep it in the front page.  The problem with this was that we were warned against bumping and only to post relevant discussion, under threat of locking that thread. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @Jonny1Punch

The redirect link is the thread that has the Closed tag on it, because clicking on it causes you to go to the new discussion in Suggestions & Feedback. Your original thread that was moved to that section is still open for commenting.

@Magic

When it comes to sparking discussion, I would say that almost every single thread on the forum accomplishes that. The difference is in the direction the topic is presented in. While Jonny's post does definitely spark discussion as well, I would argue that it was formatted in a way that presents his feedback and reaction to the changes to OML. Him saying "This is my personal reaction to the changes" is different than saying "What do you guys think about the OML changes?"

Having said that though, it is ultimately Jonny's post, so it's his decision if he would like to dispute its location or not. 
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Magic said:
     As high flying as it may sound it start on the grass-root level like here. 
    I like the idea of the fractional percentage of total players who utilize the forums being a "grass roots" campaign. That's like a grass roots political movement being founded at the WEF in Davos.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Magic said:
    I think there is a big difference with an attempt to give feedback or provide suggestion and the in depth topic that sparks a.... general discussion. The topic created by Jonny was exactly that - he shared his thoughts and sparked a discussion. Hence it's place is General Discussion (where we discuss the current state of the game - and while doing that some people provide feedback, some suggestion and some just their thoughts and emotions). 

I think the police on the forum needs to tone back as this seems like a harsh reaction, borderline blocking the freedom of speech. As high flying as it may sound it start on the grass-root level like here. You don't like the criticism? Improve. Don't try to hide it in an obscure forum that seems like a joke (have a look how many improvements were done in the game based on the suggestions there).

I know Moderators are not hired by D3/Demi but by running the official forum they kind of are working for the team behind the game. In most cases they do a good job. In some they are over-eager. We all know when the over-eagerness is leading in the big scheme of things. 

I agree with this 100% and truly stand by my post as completely appropriate for general discussion. Freedom of speech is being selectively allowed and denied based on what I consider the "hostile or harmless" factor of how it may hurt MPQs reputation on the forum. The fact that my topic was moved back to general discussion but is now closed means it will quickly get buried to the bottom of the heap visibility-wise. Reading through the topics that survived general discussion I can say that many of them could qualify for the "suggestions and feedback" purgatory much more so then mine. This feels biased against me and like I was being targeted. Brigby denied doing it and agreed it wasn't right especially without informing me/giving a reason. Normally wont a mod write what they are doing and why they did it?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's the same old heavy-handed modding aka "I'm a mod and i have the power to move and lock threads so I'm just gonna do it" again. I thought the problem had gone away, but apparently not
This discussion has been closed.