The aftermath of selling a post-nerf lvl.519 OML and what it taught me.

Options

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't think the devs are as reliant on whales and vets these days. When you are a start up you need those whales because they are the best source of income as microtransactions don't help much at that stage. Once you're hitting the audience that MPQ does you no longer need whales as thousands of micro transactions is a safer business model than whales.

I don't agree with it but that's the truth of business for many companies.

• Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    OML was nerfed for one reason....D3 want's to increase health pack purchases from mid tier players.  He sure as heck is not very scary or powerful (unless you see a champed boosted cloak and dagger with him).  Using thanos on the other hand actually increases your need to use health packs, which is why he will not be nerfed. And if he did get nerfed, expect even more whales to abandon ship.

Take care Jonny, find your next game and next year MPQ will be a distant memory. 
  • RogueZeroOne
    RogueZeroOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Jonny, 
    that was well said and it echoes the thoughts of many of us, whether we are F2P or whether we spend.  The OML nerf did not affect me personally, because I started later and was unable to acquire a significant number of covers from Classics (a rant for another time).  But I have spent significant resources in time and $ acquiring Black Bolt and Thanos and leveling both of them. How will I feel when the nerf is applied to them with similar "compensation"?  I'll be finished, and you will have lost a player who has displayed considerable loyalty in terms of both time and hard resources. Please listen, D3. Take note of the angst, think carefully about long term solutions, and don't alienate some of your most loyal player base. 
    Thanks,
    RogueZeroOne
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Disagree on whales. The vast majority of money always comes from whales in these games. And I think they took them for granted.

For so long, they kept making changes, and the whales always stuck around. But this change is destroying people's confidence in 5* investments. So if whales stop buying and buy clubs dry up, it's going to be the end of the game. And it's fully the devs fault.

After reading this thread, I realized my glacial slow progress with OML (gained one cover from 7 to 8 since last summer) wasn't worth it, so you inspired me to sell him. Got four 5* covers that were decently usable. An extra Phoenix level and a BB cover, though he's only at 8.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The fact that my trust and investment into MPQ was violated by significantly weakening an already mid-tier/struggling 5* when we were told this would never happen was the nail in the coffin for me.

Source?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been looking around the forums and can't really find any sort of promise like that.  Certainly, there was a lot of sentiment a year ago that 5*s ought to be nerfed, and no one at the time mentioned a promise to not nerf anyone.  And when they made the announcement that they were going to start changing characters back when Vision and Quicksilver got buffed, everyone seemed dead certain that 5*s were getting nerfed.

Possibly there was something said on Discord or LINE or something?
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Remember when they first nerfed Silver Surfer after the test drive level 450 loaner node version was trouncing top 3 tier maxxed 4*s? Yeah, I don't believe they ever promised not to nerf 5*s. That's just forum urban legend that supports all these OML nerf whine threads. 
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Remember when they first nerfed Silver Surfer after the test drive level 450 loaner node version was trouncing top 3 tier maxxed 4*s? Yeah, I don't believe they ever promised not to nerf 5*s. That's just forum urban legend that supports all these OML nerf whine threads. 
    It was a dev response/comment in one of the community videos or posts they did somewhere soon after OML release.

Someone cited it actually during the OML nerf stuff but, go figure, it's really hard to search "OML" and any combination of phrases with any accuracy.

I'll see if I can turn it up again.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It was a dev response/comment in one of the community videos or posts they did somewhere soon after OML release.

Someone cited it actually during the OML nerf stuff but, go figure, it's really hard to search "OML" and any combination of phrases with any accuracy.

If that is the case, I apologize as I did not see that video. Thank you for your effort to find this.

To the OP, I sympathize with your plight; however, I'm sure you curb stomped many players with inferior rosters with your uber OML before you sold him. I'm still sorry if I seemed harsh earlier. Here's my take: if you invested in developing your 5*s (time and $) then you've held an advantage over many of your peers in PVP (climb to 1200 at will bc no one wants to take on 450+ 5* due to insufficient roster or too much time to beat when time is of the essence at end of pvp enemy)  but you have had it rough in PVE due to scaling (probably still good enough for top 25 finish, but top 5 and top 10 denied to you by faster 4* rosters). You've made the choice along which path to progress but should have been expecting that a correction would be coming. You can still have fun and enjoy MPQ but if dominating with OML was your only way to play, then those days are gone for now unless D3 decides to revisit their decision. Good luck and I hope you keep playing and posting. Thank you for your service as an LEO. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree with every word but can you really spend 1000s of dollars on mpq?
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options

Sadly yes.

Brigby you moved this back to general discussion but its been closed? Why and what's the reasoning for this?

• Prawnquistador
    Prawnquistador Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options

Sadly yes.

Brigby you moved this back to general discussion but its been closed? Why and what's the reasoning for this?

It's a redirect, as he explained in the other thread. 
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options

The first thing I thought of was a post from Whitecat titled "Can we trust Demiurge and some other questions," which includes some quotes from devs about OML, but I don't think that's what you're talking about because I didn't see anything in there about promising not to nerf 5*s (unless I missed it).
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with every word but can you really spend 1000s of dollars on mpq?
    The, uh, "King" whale who's posted here in the past, despite never actually revealing what he's spent, is probably deep into five figures by now given the state of his roster. Anyone who's got level 500+ 5* characters didn't get them solely by playing 12 hours a day, that's for sure.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    OP, I sympathize with your plight; however, I'm sure you curb stomped many players with inferior rosters with your uber OML before you sold him. I'm still sorry if I seemed harsh earlier. Here's my take: if you invested in developing your 5*s (time and $) then you've held an advantage over many of your peers in PVP (climb to 1200 at will bc no one wants to take on 450+ 5* due to insufficient roster or too much time to beat when time is of the essence at end of pvp enemy)  but you have had it rough in PVE due to scaling (probably still good enough for top 25 finish, but top 5 and top 10 denied to you by faster 4* rosters). You've made the choice along which path to progress but should have been expecting that a correction would be coming. You can still have fun and enjoy MPQ but if dominating with OML was your only way to play, then those days are gone for now unless D3 decides to revisit their decision. Good luck and I hope you keep playing and posting. Thank you for your service as an LEO. 
    I think their point has more to do with motivation than fairness. Which is good because the devs actually care about motivation. 
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options

He J1P, I feel much like you do.  I've spend about $2k on this game in ~1000 days, not as much as some (yourself, perhaps), but a lot.  I didn't specifically chase OML covers, but because I was buying tokens, I did "luckily" get many OML covers along the way.  He's 4/4/4, and at one point I soft capped him at 405.  I never got around to raising him further because he did just fine there.  I got lots of OMLs, but my other 5* had few covers (until very recently).  So, mostly, I concentrated on 4*.

Now they go and nerf my one good 5*, OML.  I should have learned before when 4* X-Force Wolvie was my top dog and they nerfed him (and I did spend money specifically chasing/improving him, because at the time you could spend HP on covers).  But I didn't learn, then.  Fool me once, but not twice.

The nerfing and disrespect for that which I've worked for/spent on, combined with Vaulting, all the recent bugs, and general bad treatment of their customers... I'm done giving them my money.  I'd've dropped a Stark trying to chase Cloak and Dagger, but not this time.  Until if/when things shape up around here, no more cash for HP.  I liked supporting the game, but I can't anymore. 

Further, I'm *just* starting to use decently covered BPCW and Thano5, but I'm uncomfortable leaving 4*-land to 5* because it's so difficult to get 5* covers (especially without spending money), and I'm afraid of wasting ISO in them only to get them Nerfed like OML or Vaulted or otherwise taken way/reduced.

Sigh.  I'll keep playing as a Freemium player for now... I can't quite quit yet, but if they keep pushing, they'll make it easier to bail.

Anyway, again, sorry about your situation J1P. 

This discussion has been closed.