The aftermath of selling a post-nerf lvl.519 OML and what it taught me.

Options

Comments

• Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Jonny. Very well said in your post - I did spend money on this game but can't compare to the amount that you invested. I am glad I didn't as I would not be able to imagine my regret and disappointment if I did after all these nerfs and changes. I will close my wallet.

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I said the same thing about the compensation, "50 cents on the dollar" isn't even accurate.  It should have been a 1:1 NMG token OR half as many CHOSEN 5* covers to even start to come close to a fair compensation.

Sorry Jonny.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Absolutely agree
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And another titan falls. Sorry to hear of your experience, J1P. It's really sad that the devs are prioritizing only a portion of the playing/paying base right now with changes/decisions that are having those that have played the longest to stop supporting it.

It does make me worry that we're beyond the player base death spiral that has devs monetizing what they can before the end.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agreed orbitalint, At this point it feels like the game is circling the drain and dying a slow death..... meanwhile the devs trying to grab some quick cash from us before they shut it down.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is brutal to read.  Yuck. 

Complete side note:  Thanos is unlikely to get to that 10% status because you have to realize a couple things:
    a) It includes PvE
    b) It includes low level users.

OML became ubiquitous because with 1 yellow he could basically eat damage all day and save health packs.  Thanos does the opposite really, he eats your roster.   So it's quite unlikely he becomes so rampant as to get on the radar, at least on this metric.

Yes, high end PvP he's going to (or already has) moved to the forefront, but the rest of the game he's not, and that'll be enough to save him, I think.

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    J1P. I too have felt your pain albeit to a lesser degree. My point of quitting spending was when Green Goblin came out and they changed the way certain skills worked do to the reinforced tile. I had highly invested in King Pin and Deadpool and the game tweak left King Pin's black from interacting with Deadpool's purple because it now removed from game instead of destroying. At that point I finally figured it out. It's all about trying to milk as much money from players as possible. The only reason to buff older characters is so newer players don't get frustrated. This game is all about the new shiny carrot. Had they gone a different route like Riot games and sold bonus content like skins or icons instead of just making characters so rare they would have been a top 50 game forever. Who wouldn't have forked over $ if they could have an X-Force skinned wolverine over the yellow/blue, it would have made things unique. Alas they have gone the standard freemium game route which is limit resources and keep creating new carrots. A toilet game you call it, you are correct on two levels and where I am typing this now. Best of luck J1P you deserved better 
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Man, it's like the forums from a few years ago with all the vet names coming out of the woodwork but for not great reasons. Wish you all the best as this game has been getting less and less of my time lately. 
  • Slarow
    Slarow Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Personally, I think the real mistake you made was opening them all at the same time. If it were me, I would have sold OML, but not opened any covers until I had enough ISO to level any character that I already had at 13 covers. You said you opened 9 unusable banner covers, which I presume means you already had him at 13 covers. You shouldn't have opened any covers until after you had him champed, that way you wouldn't be losing out on any new ones of his that you pulled.
  • Swingmonalisa
    Swingmonalisa Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm a long-time player as well (Day 1192) that has a champed OML at 457. Johny's write up is so spot on it hurts :-(. The confusing thing to me was the rationale for why they chose to nerf OML. They had said that 10% of people use him every match. Until a month and a half ago he was my ONLY champed 5*, so why WOULDN'T I use him every match? It really gets down to the fact that lots players that didn't have him champed would use him all the time. I know even before I champed him I was guilty of that because a 0/1/0 OML is already better than almost any 4* in PVE alone. This, to me, was what they were trying to avoid - having those without him champed using him in every match to save on health packs. The way they COULD have nerfed him while not screwing the players who champed him would be to change his yellow to burst heal every turn until it was a 5 yellow covers or something. As far as nerfing Thanos, I don't know if they'd actually do that because he's a health pack draining machine (he's now my highest 5* at 458) and I've had to use a TON more health packs now since OML was nerfed. It also makes Bolt impossible to face without using a health pack each time now as well. 

I've only spent about $250 on the game over these 2.5 years (mostly on VIP) and that's stopping now that they screwed such a large portion of their customer base. 
  • boostedseo
    boostedseo Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Well stated old friend. 
  • chitown021
    chitown021 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am nowhere near your level but find reading threads like this useful for what's to come. I've been playing for about a year and a half & am basically just starting my 4* run.

• Syleye
    Syleye Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I tried to use my OML once and was so disappointed I haven't touched him since. I have kept him more for nostalgia. While he hasn't been my strongest choice for a long time he helped me through my earlier months ( yes I was that new person who got excited when they got a LT and used it) without him tanking I probably would have given up. Still bitter about the obvious money grab and still not spending a cent on this game until they apologize and fix their issues, all of them.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I came to the same conclusion after they nerfed 4* shethor and Xforce -

I play more casually now- did not spend anything for the longest time after that. No more getting up in the middle of the night - no more shield hop stress, guess what? It's still fun to play maybe more fun without the stress and the constant LINE check ins

I did start spending again with VIP, weird but it is mostly because of the faster healing rate, at my leisurely pace of play my characters are healed when I feel like playing.

Don't invest yourself so much , it's just a damn game

**Removed profanity - Ducky
This discussion has been closed.