Upcoming characters

DrDevilDinosaur
DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

Given the imminent arrival of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, it's a reasonable assumption that we should expect some cross-media promotion. That is, a Guardians character released in MPQ to coincide with the movie. This next release will be ending the "extended break" in the standard release schedule, so I think it's worth considering that it may not follow any particular pattern to which we've become accustomed. Also consider that, relatively recently, Demiurge has released some new 5* characters with a 3* companion.

However, there are quite a few Guardians who already have 3* variants - and I don't think either Star-Lord or Drax need 3 total forms in the game. There are also a few new characters (Mantis, Ego) and some returning cast members with increased screen time (Yondu, Nebula). I think there's a good chance that we'll actually get 3 characters at once (which is crazy, I know).

Civil War release event, with two new 4*'s split between factions - either Gamora and Nebula (focusing on the step-sister rivalry) or Yondu and Nebula (focusing on the two new "team members"); and a new 5* accessible via limited event vault - maybe Star-Lord or Rocket&Groot.

Comments

• jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Knowing D3 despite the potential 3 new characters (Mantis, Youndu and Nebula) we'll probably get variants for everyone. I can see SL 5/3* versions, and 4* Gamora and R&G. 
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    That's 4 characters though in a span of how many days?
    If this is indeed the case of what is to happen I just hope that it won't be with grind-fest pves but with a fun boss-mission situation
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually wouldn't mind a 4 star Gamora. I like her.
  • ComatoseJackal
    ComatoseJackal Posts: 50 Match Maker
    With you jvreal. I will grind slightly I fall towards laziness more now cuz this game is continuing towards worth nothing
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa said:
    That's 4 characters though in a span of how many days?
    If this is indeed the case of what is to happen I just hope that it won't be with grind-fest pves but with a fun boss-mission situation
    It took them nearly a year to release all the 5* from Civil War, why wouldn't they take their time releasing these GotG characters? I doubt they go the all-5* route like they did with the avengers, but I would expect at least a couple 5* and a couple 4* over the next 2-3 months just from the Guardians. Maybe Marvel pulls the strings on who gets which star level treatment? I don't even know popularity-wise who *should* get 5* versions vs. who should only get 4* versions. Star-lord and Drax already have 4* so they either don't get new versions or maybe they get the 5*/3* treatment we've seen in the past. Drax came out last though, which makes me think he's less popular. He's only really a 4 cause at that point everyone was a 4. Like I said, who knows what they'll do, but I do expect them to drag out the releases and not just drop them all at once.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    @JVReal - You have a valid point but as we have seen D3/Demi are very liberal in interpreting data (see the 10% on OML usage - did that include seed fights in PvP and Lighting rounds - we have no clue). So whatever we do - they will see what they want to see.

Anyway - I like the GotG franchise so I don't mind the new characters. I expect 5* Star-Lord, 4* Rocket-Groot, 4* Gamora, 3 Yandu and maybe 3* Nebula (if they decide to make another 5*). And I will roster them. And I will not grind for them (top 100 for new release PvE is my norm with vaulting - no more fighting like mad man - the covers will fall soon enough). 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* was a nice novelty as a one off, maybe 6 monthly or yearly but to keep releasing 3* with a 5, come on that's just a HP grab.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    HP grab (or as I prefer to call it : money grab) is the reality of the game. It seems each and every move done in recent month is a money grab. I am now waiting to see when our lives will be improved for once (be it Cl9-10 or the mysterious changes in the scaling of PvE). 
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    mohio said:
    Skrofa said:
    ....snip....
    ....snip....
    I don't even know popularity-wise who *should* get 5* versions vs. who should only get 4* versions. 
    ....snip....
    I hate the formatting on this new forum.

Anyway, if you're looking at it like a popularity contest, then it's hard to imagine Rocket and/or Baby Groot aren't at or near the top of the list.  Quill may get 5* treatment by virtue of being the team's leader, but the popularity of Rocket & Groot is insane.  Not sure if they'd stay as one like their 3* version, or if they'd separate them out into two solo entities.  Wasn't there a poll a while back asking what people's favorite GotG character was?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's only going to get worse, I'm a casual 575-800/900 player. Casual alliance doing pve progression or to the 4*. Yet I have just about every 4* in the tokens done. Last in Hobo fist, I'm one blue from 13 cover (in the sim). AV at 13, Carol champed, 4Cage champed, Medusa 8, Wasp 12, Blade 11, Riri 9, Coulson 8, Spider 8 Mordo 7 Gwen 8.

Now if I can get that many done and I have only had one 4* BH since it started that means most of the player base from casual up can easily have these covered. I have stopped drawing because I don't want anymore AV or Riri, it's not going to be a very varied game when every one has the latest champed.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they release four characters at once, I hope they make it easier than normal for us to get 4000 HP to roster them all.

I have been spending HP like crazy to set up my 3* champion farm. But hopefully in a month or two, I can start selling some of the max-championed versions of lesser used 3*s, and then I won't need to keep buying new roster slots for the 3* champ clones any more.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    They skipped a release cycle, expect a double release in the coming days/weeks at minimum 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Magic said:
     I am now waiting to see when our lives will be improved for once (be it Cl9-10 or the mysterious changes in the scaling of PvE). 
    You'll be waiting for a long time.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    We've already seen a double 5 and a double 4 release in the previous Civil Wars.  And that was a year ago before this rapid pace became the norm. 

I think a 5* Star Lord is inevitable; Nebula or Yondu is bound to get a 4*.  it's only a matter of GotG2 plot to see which of Gamorra or Drax or Baby Groot gets the other 5*(s).  The movie's gonna put the spotlight on one or two of these guys, and then the game will follow suit. 
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    I'm totally hoping for a two star baby Groot.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    My thoughts are either a 4* or 5* Rocket and a separate Baby Groot with some sort of mechanic built in a la C4ge and 4ist.

*edit*
    My thoughts on what to expect regarding power level of new releases is this:

2 new 4*
    1 (maybe 2) 5* with 3* clones.

And I don't anticipate a Civil War event, but I do anticipate a new boss event that will be run twice where you win one in progression on the first run and the other in progression on the second run with a special 5* store. The one you win first will be required for the 2nd run.
  • Mordee
    Mordee Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Well, you all know that 5* Thor will make it eventually.  Thor movie is going to be out.  He is the only 5 star missing from the original Avengers roster.  
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

@DrDevilDinosaur, I have heard rumors of what characters are incoming, but regardless of which toons specifically, I am certain we'll get SOMETHING for the GotG release.  I expect more variants before we ever get actual new additions like Yondu or Nebula, though.  Which is disappointing, because I'd love to see them in-game.

@JVReal I will continue to play the game, including playing what I consider an "enjoyable" amount which has so far provided me T100 on new releases, and that's good enough. I will also continue to boycott buying HP until at least they provide an acceptable/fair resolution to Vaulting, fix the egregious bugs, and generally start showing some love to their customers.  It sucks too, because I sorely wanted to whale Cloak and Dagger (favorites from my childhood), but I resisted.  I get what you're saying, if we go back to business as usual, there's no reason for them to change the current paradigm, and it becomes the new Usual.