The Unexpected Consequences of OML's Demise

ZeroKarma
ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
I wanted to start this thread, because I was playing Dr. Strange's PvE and wondering about that lovely boss node. You know the one? Where you have a hyper-scaled boss, with scaling based on your OML that doesn't heal quite so much anymore? The one who does 3k damage per match 3 of purple, but ramps up with strength 1600 strike tiles EVERY TURN?

Yeah, that guy is a LITTLE more difficult without a tank. Especially considering that the only characters that are useful against him exist in lower tiers and they aren't buffed this event.

Wait until Boss Rush. It will get worse. And then we will see many of the design flaws in this game, that were survivable due to OML healing, come shining through.

Please, share your other unexpected consequences! There will be positive ones as well, I'm sure.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess that will be 3500 less ISO per day I'll be winning. PVE Scaling was already pretty bonkers. Now that OML no longer works well, scaling should be lowered if he's your best character.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Removing the solo heal has shortened matches a few turns, can't complain about that (on offense).
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I found him manageable with OML and boosted Jessica Drew. OML definitely can't keep up for long, but throwing out her black power when she's boosted is essentially four turns of invincibility - she completely absorbs any attack that deals less than 10k. So juggling between OML face-tanking and Jessica going all dodge-copter worked well. #3 is Elektra for taking away ouch-strikes and replacing them with garbage-strikes.

I will say that when there isn't a convenient boost like this, though, this fight is going to be really not fun.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I'm pretty sure I expected those consequences.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    So I'm running OML with Cloak & Dagger and popping claws every other match for 20k+ AoE and a quick finish.  That was rather unexpected.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Agreed.  I remember being very excited for the event before the details arrived, and it made it even more disappointing.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    GrimSkald said:
    Speaking or myself, I hope we never see "Boss Rush" again.  I didn't like it conceptually, and in play it was absolutely horrible.  They made a lot of neat new bosses - I hope they use them in events where they can be the focus, but taking on three in succession was hot garbage.
    I mean, I have to assume if they ever run Boss Rush again, it'll be tweaked a bit. The initial run of Galactus was an absolute abortion and they fixed him to be reasonable after all the backlash - and that was a few days later. I'd like to think that if they run Boss Rush a second time after several months they'll have the wherewithal to make Phoenix and Banner beatable instead of slot-machine pulls that mostly result in HAHAHAHA U DIE.

*removed profanity acronym - Ducky
    *also made the sentence sound weird so I had to edit it again. Jesus dude, just add it to the filter if it's such a problem. - Jarvind
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boss Rush was hard, but still beatable with a winfinite team.  I do agree that it should be scaled back for next time though.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Boss Rush was hard, but still beatable with a winfinite team.  I do agree that it should be scaled back for next time though.
    Boss rush matches with a winfinite team took like 20 minutes each! My phone would crash when I switched apps, and thus I would lose the match! It was a nightmare.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma said:
    I wanted to start this thread, because I was playing Dr. Strange's PvE and wondering about that lovely boss node. You know the one? Where you have a hyper-scaled boss, with scaling based on your OML that doesn't heal quite so much anymore? The one who does 3k damage per match 3 of purple, but ramps up with strength 1600 strike tiles EVERY TURN?
       I play that node with 5* Spidey, Patch, and Loki.  Or at least I did last time, when I didn't even have a usable OML. :D
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 said:
    bbigler said:
    Boss rush matches with a winfinite team took like 20 minutes each! My phone would crash when I switched apps, and thus I would lose the match! It was a nightmare.
    SS Mohawk KK took me 40 minutes to win... 1 in 7 tries. I like the idea, but they're gonna need to nerf it hardcore to even make it playable by old OML standards, and even more so to make it playable with nerfed OML.

PvE scaling has definitely hurt my OML a lot. I used to be able to eat 10k headbutts and 20k sniper rifles and shrug them off, now they cost health packs every time. When I have to eat them multiple times in a row because it takes so much time to chew through 50+k enemies that I can't stop every skill, it becomes a drag.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    bbigler said:
    True, winning with a winfinite team took a long time, but it was fun for me because I discovered a new winfinite team: XFW, Magneto, Loki - their tile destruction/shake powers cycle endlessly, thus endless damage.  And I beat boss rush over and over even though XFW wasn't even champed.  The game is about having fun right?  Well, that was fun for me to find a way to beat them. 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    MojoWild said:
    People managed these events before without a viable OML and will do so again. Adapt.

I never used OML for this event.....but mine isn't champed. For the people that have him champed, their scaling pretty much requires them to use him.  
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Qubort said:
    MojoWild said:
    People managed these events before without a viable OML and will do so again. Adapt.

I never used OML for this event.....but mine isn't champed. For the people that have him champed, their scaling pretty much requires them to use him.  
    But... But... But... you can always just sell him for a disproportionately small number of lottery tickets that won't give you a chance of rebuilding an equivalent 5* character.  That makes up for it, right?
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    OML is my highest character, and I still use him almost as much as before the change.  I beat Kaecilius on my first try, although it was tougher than I remember in the past.

The biggest change I've noticed is that using him in PVP makes me a bigger target.  575 is no problem, but 900 will be tougher now.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    OML is my highest.
    Beaten Kaecilius without him before nerf. Will beat him again after nerf still without OML.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    dayv said:
    ZeroKarma said:
       I play that node with 5* Spidey, Patch, and Loki.  Or at least I did last time, when I didn't even have a usable OML. :D
    Patch and Medusa made short work of Kaecilius