The worrying direction of MPQ and the community as I approach 2 years...

TheChaoGoesMu
TheChaoGoesMu Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
I'm approaching my second anniversary on MPQ, I've been a VIP since day one of that feature, and before that I would buy hero points during sales, so I feel like I'm a valuable, consistent customer. 

I play for a few hours a day, depending on what's in game and what's going on in life, circumstances right now mean I'm hitting t20 on PvE, but I only ever play PvP to the season 10-pack, and often not even that. But if I'm on a long contract of difficult work outside the house i might just do DDQ for a week or so. I've never missed a day of play yet! I don't consider myself competitive at all, I consider the rewards I get for each match the rewards I get for playing, anything from placement is just gravy. 

I am a huge nerd and keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my progress and since vaulting and bonus heroes there's something that needs talking about: I feel like I'm both having more fun and progressing faster, and progressing faster because I'm having more fun. Champ rewards, vault tokens, bonus heroes, daily rewards mean I'm about to champ my 4th "Oh no will never be seen again" 4* since they were destroyed forever by evil devs.

I'm a collector,  not a competer, and i have all 4*s bar Mr fantastic at 3 powers, so the increased speed at which I can cover new characters is nice. 

Iso deficit: eh, I get what I'm given knowing full well what I'm going to get for doing what and what things cost to level up, maybe, just maybe, it's functioning as intended and resource management you have to think about and plan, with the possibility of wastage(!), is a designed part of the game???

In general I honestly can't think of a change the devs have implemented that hasn't on balance improved the game (for me) and (my) enjoyment of it. 

I lurk the forums to keep up with news and this is the saddest place on the internet I've ever been. 

I've seen far less bitter resentment in years of AA meetings. This is like an endless meeting were no-one actually wants to get sober... 

Stop spending money on things you don't like, stop playing a game you don't enjoy, sunk costs are a fallacy, especially in a digital economy, I've stopped playing games I've spent money on when I've stopped enjoying them and I don't miss them, regret stopping, our regret spending what i did. 

Just stop. If not stop playing, stop being competitive. It doesn't matter. Being competitive sounds like it turns the world into a terrifying hellscape. 

The forums do not equal the player base, a consensus here does not equal a consensus there. 

I have thoughts about games design, but I am not a games designer, have never been one, and have no knowledge or experience of the reality of corporate games design. Odds are you don't either. 

I'm actually well into conspiracy theories (that term is a CIA psyop, i prefer to use "parapolitics", but for ease of access let's use the standard), i believe we're being ruled by a cackling, cartoonishly evil cabal of reptilian hybrids, but some of the motives and plans you people ascribe to the devs here have even me rolling my eyes. 

Sorry if this has been disjointed and rambling, and it's honestly not intended as a troll. Maybe I am stupid and wrong about everything, and my army of strawmen is kindling for the flames of your righteous indignation, I just felt it needed saying that there are people with positive opinions on even your most hated changes. Maybe I am wrong and stupid, and all who think like me are too, but I bet another wrong and stupid longtime lurker reads this and is less sad about this place. 

I genuinely worry about some of you people. Take a break. Think about things. Figure out why you're playing, and if it's the right way. 

Shouts out to the devs and @Brigby for working in one of the most toxic environments I've ever seen :p

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Most of us vets on the forum play more than is healthy. :)

A lot of changes have been made over the past year since before the third anniversary, and on the whole I feel that the changes have been positive for the game. 

But there remain certain niggling issues that concern me greatly, as a lazily competitive collector and a friend who likes the segments of the mpq community I hang with on line. 

The biggest, longest-standing issue among which is how we are all at the mercy of RNGesus. I can't rightly complain and be taken seriously because I am the tinykitty favoured child of this giant tinykitty that is RNG progression but seriously.

Tinykitty this, devs. Tinykitty the 5*s and stop releasing them until you can think up a logical way for people to get them that doesn't involve playing slot machines at MPQVegas and throwing away 4 hard-earned 5* covers in one week because they are 6th and 7th and 8th covers of a colour on an unchamped and unchampable 5*.
  • TheChaoGoesMu
    TheChaoGoesMu Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Alsmir said:
    I'm approaching my second anniversary on MPQ, I've been a VIP since day one of that feature, and before that I would buy hero points during sales, so I feel like I'm a valuable, consistent customer. 

I play for a few hours a day, depending on what's in game and what's going on in life, circumstances right now mean I'm hitting t20 on PvE, but I only ever play PvP to the season 10-pack, and often not even that. But if I'm on a long contract of difficult work outside the house i might just do DDQ for a week or so. I've never missed a day of play yet! I don't consider myself competitive at all, I consider the rewards I get for each match the rewards I get for playing, anything from placement is just gravy. 

I genuinely worry about some of you people. Take a break. Think about things. Figure out why you're playing, and if it's the right way. 

Well, I kinda worry about you right now, you're in denial and that's not healthy.
    There is not a single contradiction there, and I can take you through it point by point if you like, but I think it's better for us both if you do the legwork on that one :)
  • LLohm
    LLohm Posts: 84 Match Maker
    I'm with OP.

Stop asking for more of this and more of that without putting some cash or time.

This only escalates into 6* faster and we all know that everybody's progression will be set back even more now.

I want only bug fixes which can be annoying in game play since the character may not work as intended.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    Here's a good example. The last cover I need to champ Wasp is the Hero for Hire today. The offer I'm getting is 3600 for her 10k ISO, 8 elite tokens, and 3 command points. I would almost have considered this if I didn't know other people were getting a deal with the same cover for 2500 and less additional resources. I'm voting with my dollar to show this is not the deal we want.
  • liminal_lad
    edited April 2017
    I also wanted to say that this forum is one of the LEAST toxic places I can think of on the Internet. I'd like to say it's because of the good people here, but the moderation probably also helps, as much as I want to imagine we'd be ok without it.
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Hardly the worst place on the web, but definitely the most "sky is falling" of any place I see discussing MPQ.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    JablesMc said:
    Hardly the worst place on the web, but definitely the most "sky is falling" of any place I see discussing MPQ.

Agreed. I visit other forums on the web dedicated to MPQ and the difference is night and day. Yes, these are complaints about vaulting and other features, but they are not nearly as prevalent, shrill, emotional, or hyperbolic and the general tone is much less toxic. Not sure why. Maybe it's because the mods on those forums try to foster such an atmosphere. Maybe there's an echo chamber effect here where a handful of more vocal posters set the tone (though I doubt that's the case).
  • liminal_lad
    I think this is also the "easiest" forum for people to end up in so that may influence the comments here vs discord or line or even Reddit which attract more hardcore players. The comments on the Facebook page get pretty negative too.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    astrp3 said:
    Maybe there's an echo chamber effect here where a handful of more vocal posters set the tone (though I doubt that's the case).
    I've actually found this forum to be pretty diverse in terms of perspectives. I've had a ton of lively discussions over the years and actually came around to the other side on a couple of things because of the discussions. Old skool winfinite (mystique, 2* mags and someone else, can't remember. Maybe Switch?) was broken and it took me a few months and this forum to realize it.

But I'd agree. I think the tone was set long ago by mods and early forumites and, thankfully, it has remained. I mean, we do have a ton more analytics from the players (trackers, drop rate distribution testing, etc.) than I've seen anywhere else on a game. So, I think many are looking for deeper conversations about this games meta than a typical game.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    astrp3 said:
    Maybe there's an echo chamber effect here where a handful of more vocal posters set the tone (though I doubt that's the case).
    Maybe there's less complaints there because there's even less of a chance of the complaints being heard by the devs.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not that I go to these others "forums" but I doubt any of them are nearly as active or dedicated as this one. This is THE place to go for the game and therefore it is naturally THE place where customers are.going to be the most passionate about the game. 
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy said:
    Not that I go to these others "forums" but I doubt any of them are nearly as active or dedicated as this one. This is THE place to go for the game and therefore it is naturally THE place where customers are.going to be the most passionate about the game. 

You're probably right. Though I'd prefer that people voice their complaints in a more constructive manner that's more likely to get results and less likely to be ignored. Many of the posts I read here seem counterproductive, if not deliberately crafted NOT to get results - calling developers liars (which, if true, is pointless, and if not tends to put them on the defensive), asking the devs questions which are only a step removed from "Have you stopped beating your wife?,"  making exaggerated claims that give devs reason to dismiss them, etc.