Is MPQ ready for the fall IOS update? And is there a 64bit transition roadmap?

2»

Comments

• Slothkins
    Slothkins Posts: 58 Match Maker
    I'm very much aware of this issue. My iPhone is a 4C, which I believe will no longer be supported by apple or anything else. It still works just fine, but I'm going to be forced to upgrade. 
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    This thread is making me think I should give up on my Ipad 2's MPQ and just play on steam.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    This thread is making me think I should give up on my Ipad 2's MPQ and just play on steam.
    if you don't mind starting over as they won't move steam to mobile nor mobile to steam.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    zulux21 said:
    if you don't mind starting over as they won't move steam to mobile nor mobile to steam.
    Actually, I currently play on both and my Steam account is more advanced.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    iOS 11 is being released on 19th September. Can the devs comment on whether or not the next release (R135) will address this? Or will 32-bit devices be left in the cold next week?
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Presumably older devices that don't support 64-bit apps won't be able to upgrade to iOS 11. So unless I'm missing something, I don't think this particular app-ocalypse would necessarily affect people on older devices.

I guess Apple could require that new app submissions/updates not include 32-bit support along with the required 64-bit support, but that would break tons of modern apps that currently support both unless they were specifically updated to pull the older compatibility. That's the part that seems unlikely to me. 
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    The devs should have been aware of this as per this Dev update - https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=06282017b

64-bit Apps on iOS 11
    June 28, 2017
    As a reminder, new iOS apps and updates submitted to the App Store must support 64-bit. Support for 32-bit apps is not available in iOS 11 and all 32-bit apps previously installed on a user’s device will not launch. If you haven’t updated your app on the App Store to support 64-bit, we recommend submitting an update so your users can continue to run your apps on iOS 11, which will be in the hands of hundreds of millions of customers this fall.

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    halirin said:
    Presumably older devices that don't support 64-bit apps won't be able to upgrade to iOS 11. So unless I'm missing something, I don't think this particular app-ocalypse would necessarily affect people on older devices.

I guess Apple could require that new app submissions/updates not include 32-bit support along with the required 64-bit support, but that would break tons of modern apps that currently support both unless they were specifically updated to pull the older compatibility. That's the part that seems unlikely to me. 
    THe issue is the game won't let you play if you're behind the latest release by more than x revisions. You will get the prompt to download the latest and won't be able to
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Mattjimf said:
    The devs should have been aware of this as per this Dev update - https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=06282017b

64-bit Apps on iOS 11
    June 28, 2017
    As a reminder, new iOS apps and updates submitted to the App Store must support 64-bit. Support for 32-bit apps is not available in iOS 11 and all 32-bit apps previously installed on a user’s device will not launch. If you haven’t updated your app on the App Store to support 64-bit, we recommend submitting an update so your users can continue to run your apps on iOS 11, which will be in the hands of hundreds of millions of customers this fall.

From Anthony in Discord today responding to someone asking about ios11/ipad mini 1 and the coming update in rather short terms:

I assume there is a more specific reason than "OMG! iOS 11! Let's get rid of MPQ!" (trolling aside, you are probably talking about the 32-bit vs 64-bit thingy)

We create 32 and 64 bit .ipas and deliver them to Apple. It's on Apple to stop delivering them to people at that point

We are doing everything we can. It's in apple's court [Oni: this was following comments about the timing on stopping updates to 32bit apps on ios < 11 and devices that won't support ios 11] and we don't have any insight into what they are doing [Oni: beyond what's publicly announced because that's, well, public].

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll wait to upgrade to iOS11 after people confirm the game still works

halirin said:
    IOS11 support goes back as far as iPhone 5s which released in September of 2013. So unless someone's running a phone that is more than 4 years old they will be eligible (and suggested by Apple) to upgrade. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I installed iOs 11 golden master yesterday in my iPad Pro, and MPQ worked just fine. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares said:
    I installed iOs 11 golden master yesterday in my iPad Pro, and MPQ worked just fine. 
    Do you have access to an G1 ipad mini to test?

@Polares