Is MPQ ready for the fall IOS update? And is there a 64bit transition roadmap?

Phumade
Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm seeing a lot of articles now saying that apple will be banning 32 bit apps in the fall ios update.  I'm assuming that ios devices with A6X processors will no longer be supported.  

Can we get an official statement from Demi, on whether this means that you have to have an A7 ios device to run the game after the update?  Is there a transition plan to keep the game working on 64bit platforms?

What will happen to users of older devices?  Will we be able to still update in the future?

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/04/what-the-death-of-32-bit-ios-could-mean-for-apples-hardware-and-software/

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    All Apple App Store submissions, including updates, have required 64-bit support since July of 2016, so the app is definitely already 64-bit compatible.  If it was not, current versions of iOS would give a warning when launching the app.

As far as compatibility with older devices that do not support 64-bit apps, it's a pretty old set of devices.  A small subset of people might be affected but they're probably already experiencing a lot of instability.
  • Phumade
    No my 1st gen Ipad mini is actually quite stable.  That is why I want to keep using the device soley for mpq.  I just worry that why would you have a 64bit version on ios devices but a 32 bit version for amazon and android.  It just seems like this is exactly how codebase fragmentation occurs.

I'm sure they know what percentage of users are on legacy hardware.  I just want to know what the techincal roadmap is so that I can make transition at the appropriate time and take advantage of hardware sales as appropriate
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Are you asking if they are on top of the technical side of things?...

lol
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm assuming that older devices will simply won't be able to update the 64bit only app when that is releases. Now, typically this just means running at that old client. However mpq has a pop up that will force you to update after a short period of time. It is this pop up that will prevent you from playing in older devices. Should be easy enough to code around the pop up but I doubt they would do it. They want everyone on the latest version
  • Dayv
    Phumade said:
    No my 1st gen Ipad mini is actually quite stable.
    Maybe it's the apps I was running on it, but I eventually stopped using my first gen Mini because it was so slow and frustrating.
  • Dayv
    A couple of places I'm seeing are saying that Apple may drop support for 32-bit devices with the next iOS version.  If so, the developers really shouldn't be expected to code for those obsoleted devices.

The first-generation iPad Mini falls into a weird place here though, because it was a full year out-of-date to the full-sized iPad when it was released, and they kept that aged version on sale for far longer than they should have, IMO. That one's on Apple
  • Phumade
    I bought my ipad at release, so I've gotten full value out of my ipad.  I'm also not complaining about lifecycle, I've gotten close to 4-5 years of use out of the device, and at this point,  I only use that ipad for drawing apps, ebooks and MPQ.

Knowing the right time to transition will actually save me quite of bit of cash on the new $329 ipad.  I have access to an .edu discount and in the fall, tax free back to school shopping.

So knowing when MPQ is officially sunset-ted on my device will save around 20% of retail of a new ipad and allow me to budget so I don't  have to make a significant unplanned purchase that could have been avoided.  I already had to skip a 10% sale from staples on the new ipad because I anticipated a better discount during back to school.

Ultimately personal issues drive people's spending habits and I would never presume to tell anyone when its the appropriate time to spend their money.

If you can make your statement with your MOD voice on behalf of demi.  I will accept it at face value and make the appropriate financial decision on my part.

I don't think its unreasonable for the company to support or not support apple devices.  but that announcement should come from somebody with the agency to speak on behalf of the company.  

Its just rumor mongering when the community speculates on these types of issues.

I don't think its that hard for the developers to say:

"We anticipate that all ios devices before A7 processors will no longer receive MPQ game updates after the fall iOS update.  This specifically means that the app won't have access to new artwork and events that are included in our release candidates.  We also know from prior testing that the app will begin to operate in unpredictable and erratic ways when the app is not properly updated with artwork and new events.  We strongly urge all ios platform users to check their hardware for compatibility for the fall ios update.  Once apple releases their fall update,  we anticipate that our next release cycle will require compatibility with that update"

Just tell us the approximate date when MPQ will stop working on my device and I'll make the appropriate purchasing decisions on my own.

• Pongie
    The old Samsung smart view app (remote for D series TV) is in the same boat. When I launch it, there's a pop up saying this app won't be compatible with the next iOS update. Developer needs to release a compatible version 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @Phumade

Thanks for posting that information! I've already relayed the news to the developers. If there are any changes regarding 32-bit devices that need to be communicated in the future, then I will be sure to let everyone know.
  • Phumade
    Thanks.  Can you just ensure that the community gets as much lead time as possible about when devices will no longer be supported.

I've gotten tremendous value out of my ipad mini and I have no problem with being told its no longer supported.  I just want enough notice so that I can make a orderly purchase vs. speeding to the apple store at 5pm to get the game running so I can finish a midnight pvp event.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm also still playing on my ipad mini. I always forget whether it's a 1 or 2, sorry, but it's old. But I didnt update the OS after 7.x or so, because I heard performance was lacking for older devices after that.

Having MPQ abandon such devices would certainly be an excuse to finally upgrade it to a newer model :mrgreen:
  • Phumade
    I'm on the latest version of iOS.  The game runs surprisingly well.  you might want to update your ios.  Apple does a fantastic job of supporting older hardware.  A 4-5 year lifespan would be considered absurd in the android world
  • Brigby
    Hi Everyone. You can rest assured that the development team strives to support as many versions of the game as possible. If there are any changes planned for the future, we will do our best to provide that news ahead of time.
  • Pongie
    I just updated my devices. iPhone 5 > iPhone SE and iPad mini 2 > iPad mini 4. Haven't really noticed any speed improvements but at least I'm being offer shield intercepts again. Been months since I last saw any
  • Megdar
    Megdar Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Phumade said:
    I just worry that why would you have a 64bit version on ios devices but a 32 bit version for amazon and android.  It just seems like this is exactly how codebase fragmentation occurs.
    If you are not already aware, ios is an Objective C based OS and Android (Amazon is a modified android) is Java based OS.

Yes the two also support C++ on a different layer, but you still need to talk to the OS with the base language. Just to say that fragmentation already occurs. And for most of it, if you code correctly, there is no difference between 64bit and 32bit. Only C++ have some corner case if you don't use proper default lib define.
  • Pongie
    iOS 11 beta is out and seem to indicate 32bit apps are no longer supported

@Brigby, you may want to remind the developers so it's in the roadmap for a release note in time with the release of iOS 11
  • Brigby
    @Pongie
    Thanks for the heads up about the iOS 11 beta indicating 32bit apps are no longer supported. I'll be sure to pass along this information to the developers so they're aware.
  • Pongie
    Less than a month left before iPhone 8 is released (and along with it, probably iOS 11). Hope the devs have not forgotten about this
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since I'm not getting the "this app may slow down your phone" message, I assume that MPQ is 64 bit ready.
  • Phumade
    I just hope that they tell us what Ios hardware will NOT run mpq after Ios 11 is released.

The whole point of this thread was to tell ios users who's Hardware will still run MPQ after ios 11 is released.

Is anyone running the Ios beta's on older hardware and can you tell if MPQ is still supported?