Where did the LOL button go?

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    The new normal Internet culture, everything is sunshine and lollipops. 

Barely a week and two features that "harm" other posters are removed, did they need tissues and therapy after the vicious assaults of lol and off topic?
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    I can't wait until all of our posts get free random bonus "Insightful" and "Like" votes, so no one feels badly that no one liked their votes.

Not liking is the new griefing.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    D3 Nerfs everything! Even the Forum! 
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I miss adding comments to your like or upvote from the original forums.  a Like or Insightful vote is so vague... and I LOL when something actually made me laugh.

I did use off-topic as a dislike button on occassion... maybe 3 times?  but no where near 10% to warrant a nerf... (see what I did there?)
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I guess now if you wan't to dislike or lol a post you have to quote it in your own comment and actually write out "dislike" or "LOL"
  • liminal_lad
    Can I just ask why people in general are so against the idea of actually being nice to one another?
    It really does baffle me when people try to make things nice to live in, someone has to go "Oh yes, we have to cater to the snowflakes. Meanwhile, I'm trying to be a horrible person and find myself unable to do so!"

Can't there be a happy medium? Like a place between "I hate your opinion and you and want to ruin your offline life" and "Let's all love each other and hug all day?" I feel like disagreement has to be able to have a place in civil discourse and trying to remove all of it is impossible and doesn't help anyone.
  • liminal_lad
    You remove downvotes, and people use "off topic." You remove "off topic" and people will find other avenues. You remove those other avenues and people will find other forums. Shutting down civil dialogs allows conflict to fester, instead of allowing people to learn from each other, grow through interaction, and resolve their issues.

But I guess at this point, I'm talking more about society and less about MPQ.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Can I just ask why people in general are so against the idea of actually being nice to one another?
    It really does baffle me when people try to make things nice to live in, someone has to go "Oh yes, we have to cater to the snowflakes. Meanwhile, I'm trying to be a horrible person and find myself unable to do so!"

Like...seriously? Is it so weird that the devs and mods want to make this forum a friendly, welcomming and enjoyable place to discuss topics and such?
    I agree, the advent of trolling as an art form has really grown in the last decade. I blame YouTube. 

On a more serious note, I can get behind the idea in principle, but not in action.  Especially for the LOL button. Since we cannot add comments to our votes anymore, how did they determine that it was being used sarcastically?  

Secondly, when browsing on desktop (I haven't figured out how to do this on mobile yet) you can see the names of people who voted on your post.  Can't the mods make the distinction of someone going through another person's post history and down voting everything versus a random forum visitor disagreeing with a single post?

I guess what I'm trying to say is why punish the many for the sins of the few?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

Can't there be a happy medium? Like a place between "I hate your opinion and you and want to ruin your offline life" and "Let's all love each other and hug all day?" I feel like disagreement has to be able to have a place in civil discourse and trying to remove all of it is impossible and doesn't help anyone.
    Absolutely, discussion is something that absolutely should be promoted on these boards.
    But how does clicking a "LOL" or "Off Topic" button lead to discussion? If anything it silences it or renders it irrelevent.

Likewise I'm unsure why some consider discussion necessitates hostility. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, by the way, not at all. I'm simply saying that it's possible to have discussion on a message board without resorting to ad hominem attacks and aggression.
  • liminal_lad
    How does clicking an LOL or Off Topic button silence discussion? If anything it seems infinitely nicer than quote posting someone and saying "this post is tinypuppy useless." But I get how some people would prefer that we all shout out opinions into the void and only interact when we agree. 

I think more sites are going away from comment sections and more forums are headed to aggressive moderation because of people who agree with you, or who are scared of the negative consequences of unfettered communication. 
  • liminal_lad
    BTW: I'm not seeing these logical fallacies you're railing against showing up here. Can you provide some examples?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards

Absolutely, discussion is something that absolutely should be promoted on these boards.
    But how does clicking a "LOL" or "Off Topic" button lead to discussion? If anything it silences it or renders it irrelevent.

Likewise I'm unsure why some consider discussion necessitates hostility. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, by the way, not at all. I'm simply saying that it's possible to have discussion on a message board without resorting to ad hominem attacks and aggression.
    I think the thing is that there is an overwhelming atmosphere that discussion isn't wanted here. So things like the lol or off topic are seen as the only Avenue of being able to express  a different opinion without getting warning. Even mildly combative speech is heavily model and take doesn't produce  an atmosphere for honest and open discussion.
  • Ayasugi-san
    Ayasugi-san Posts: 116 Tile Toppler

Don't we already have that? By quoting someone's comment and replying with disagreement?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin

Don't we already have that? By quoting someone's comment and replying with disagreement?
    Yes. That is what we would ideally like for players to do if they disagree with someone's opinion: reply back with a civil response that explains why they disagree.

The 'Off Topic' button was never meant to be used as a 'Disagree / Dislike' button, otherwise we would've added that exact button to the forum. We want to foster debate and conversation, so long as it is constructive, friendly, and informative. Simply 'Disliking' a post does not offer any further insight. As mentioned previously, the 'Off Topic' button was to allow the community to collaboratively identify comments that were being disruptive and irrelevant to the topic, so the moderators and I can swiftly remove it.

In addition, I am aware of a time prior to my joining D3 when players would target individuals they didn't like, and use the 'Dislike' button to remove / hide that individual's comments, regardless of its content. We wanted to avoid that from occurring again.
  • liminal_lad
    Going forward I am going to aim to use 'Insightful' only in a sarcastic manner. ;)
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I just received my "5 insightfuls" badge and now feel very insecure about it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about there be a poll to see what the players want before just randomly removing forum features. I wish we still had the old forum