What will happen first? Next 5* nerf or Sheild Clearance Level 9

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Since the nerf bat is still hanging around the office at Demi, just curious on what will happen next. The fabled SL9 release, dare I even say SL 10, or the nerf bat taken to the next 5*. 

What will happen first? Next 5* nerf or Sheild Clearance Level 9 162 votes

Next 5* nerf
73%
BaineeFoxInSoxWobbyPolaresYasurufirethornengoniLegallyUndeadStonykillercoolJonny1PunchxKOBALTxseshomaamarreroslaxer723aargyleChrono_TataAidoniskillerkoalaAngjo 119 votes
Shield Clearance Level 9
26%
EddiemonGuntherBlobelDragon_NexusKolencesinnerjflColognoisseurPhumadeGritsNGravyMagicd1amonddawgJoritjackstar0udonomefooNepenthepabasa130rdvargas1Punisher5784Virus_Type_VCosmicWolfOneLastGambit 43 votes

Comments

• DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Next 5* nerf
    Considering what they claimed were the reasons it took so long to get SCL8, it won't be until 4th Anniversary at earliest that we get SCL9. And it'll just be +250 for each placement reward. As for more 5* nerfs, well... next couple of patches will nerf more healers, and then the next 5* nerf.
  • FetidOubliette
    FetidOubliette Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Shield Clearance Level 9
    That all depends, really.  Which option will generate more short-term revenue?  Demi/D3 have proven that they're more than willing to scorch the earth under the feet of their long-term players (which is the group that would most benefit from CL9) in the interest of a (modest) short-term boost in profits.  Is there a 5* that can be nerfed in such a way that it will force players to spend more money?  I don't really see one offhand (though a rebalance/buff for a classic token-residing hero could boost sales a marginal amount, I suppose).  Given that, I'll say that CL9 will come first, but that it'll be a while before we see it.  Evidence would suggest that's simply not their priority.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Next 5* nerf
    It all depends on when they realize how much Bolt is over powered now that OML is nerfed! 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some things are unknowable until they happen. Is some other 5* going to jump up and garner 10% usage 'warranting' a nerf? Will there ever be SCL 9? Will the Hulk do it with Black Widow in Avengers 3? Stay tuned!
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

The 5* tier is actually doing pretty well - none of them need nerfing (including OML, but that's another story) and I suspect only Bruce really needs a good buff (maybe the Surfer could use another one, but I do see him fairly frequently. Maaaaaybe BSSM, since he was basically designed as a soft counter to OML, but I see a fair bit of him too...)  Nerfing is incredibly unpopular, so I suspect they'll only do it if a character really stands out as over-used, particularly when the players have other options.  OML was not over-powered, but he was definitely over-used.  Pity, that.

I hear tell that Hawkeye is broken when combined with other particular characters, so he's a maybe, but considering how long it takes them to nerf characters maybe not.  It will be some time before he's in the hands of more than a few players.

I am continuously surprised by the malice ascribed to the game developers.

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    My hope is they delayed SCL9 because they plan on opening Scl9 / scl10 / scl11 all at once. Ideally next season.

OML was unique because he was so good with fewer covers and made 4* (or 3*!) rosters punch above their level, others around 405 (for example) don't do the same, and I don't believe another nerf will be coming soon.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Next 5* nerf
    Neat.  Voting is no longer anonymous.  Or is there a toggle for anonymity ?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    Neat.  Voting is no longer anonymous.  Or is there a toggle for anonymity ?
    You can set it up that way.  This was the first poll I ever did so it is kinda neat. 
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Next 5* nerf
    If I had to choose, I'd go for worse case scenario, hence 5* nerf. 
    If I'm allowed to speculate, and I'm a bit late given the 'new' vault named heroes for hire, I'd say that they will do something worse, like nerfing what 10k hp can get you, increase Cp cost for the same bad chances, and introduce exciting new bugs. 

Tl;dr: I don't expect anything good from devs anymore, I keep playing for the out of game communication I have with people that suffer in this game the same. Always the optimist ;) 
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Shield Clearance Level 9
    I'm optimistic.  SCL 9.

Feels weird being in the top tier of SCL when I don't even have a champion 4*, so I keep wondering when that will change.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Next 5* nerf
    Should be 9, but will probably be nerf.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shield Clearance Level 9
    Given their history:  they will nerf scl's 6-8 then release 9 which will then be exactly the same as 8 used to be.  
  • CosmicWolf
    CosmicWolf Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Shield Clearance Level 9
    I'm thinking nerf.  They had an interview with the Puzzle Warriors podcast a couple of months ago and SCL 9 was essentially said to not be particularly close.  I wouldn't get my hopes up anytime soon for it.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Next 5* nerf
    You know, all CLs could be buffed without needing CL9....
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Next 5* nerf
    I think they will take the nerf bat to 5 Thanos or BlackBolt next. We don't have enough players levelled enough for SCLs 9 & 10
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Next 5* nerf
    Probably Bolt next. OML was one of the few soft counters to Bolt. They've significantly unbalanced the 5* meta by nerfing OML, so Bolt is even more dominant than before.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    morph3us said:
    Probably Bolt next. OML was one of the few soft counters to Bolt. They've significantly unbalanced the 5* meta by nerfing OML, so Bolt is even more dominant than before.
    I feel like they are getting ready to set a course of ill advised funbalances in 5* land because there will always be a top dog in this type of game, they don't understand that or this type of game, and they want you to feel like you have to use every character because new characters are the only thing new thing they give us that they can directly tie a dollar value to. Nevermind that people quit because they are tired of same bat time same bat channel Dark Avenger programming staleness.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Next 5* nerf
    snlf25 said:
    morph3us said:
    I feel like they are getting ready to set a course of ill advised funbalances in 5* land because there will always be a top dog in this type of game, they don't understand that or this type of game, and they want you to feel like you have to use every character because new characters are the only thing new thing they give us that they can directly tie a dollar value to. Nevermind that people quit because they are tired of same bat time same bat channel Dark Avenger programming staleness.
    That's exactly what's going to happen.  The apparent "overuse" of OML was actually masking the fact that the top tier 5*s are Bolt and Thanos. The proportion of OML users is going to go down, because of how much weaker he is in PvP.  Their metrics will then start to show them that Bolt, and Thanos are overrepresented in high level PvP play, and are also overrepresented in the number of PvP wins.  Both will get depowered accordingly.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Shield Clearance Level 9
    OML was 10% of all victories. Bolt and Thanos are great and obviously better than OML was but the majority of players were not using the rest of their roster. Whilst the nerfs hit the top tier players poorly (and I think his powers should have remained the same at 5 covers)) those 3 and 4* players who had even one cover were using them in all matches. I've really enjoyed playing PvP this season because I've seen one or two OML some phoenix but mainly 3 and 4 star characters. Players with bolt and Thanos (not super covered) simply aren't using them in every match.

OML was the dark avengers of PvP and now he isn't. Happy days I fight other characters. Yes there are amazing 4 stars that are used frequently such as Peggy and rulk etc but now there are so many good four stars I don't see the same character in every line up unless they are boosted.

I think the 5* tier will therefore not see a nerf now for a long time and I'm hopeful we will see a full revamp of shield clearance tied to node difficulty with the addition of 9 and 10 before any nerfs come (although Carnage happened so hell I could be wrong)