Thank you for releasing a unique classic character

2»

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    RoboDuck said:It's a Sony movie.  BUT, Marvel & Sony made it together, so good odds there will be a MPQ tie-in.
    More than that, it's part of the MCU. So Marvel will definitely be promoting it.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Cloak and Dagger are really good too.  They'd be top tier if they were a 4*.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    The rumor I heard is that D3 pays more to Marvel for brand new characters than for an alternate version of a character already in-game.  If that is true, don't waste the energy getting upset about alternate versions.  The financial realities are what they are.

That's a bit weird in the sense that Marvel would charge different rates for characters that share the same name.  The only reason to do that is to incentivize the licensee to keep using similar characters (usually the most popular ones like Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Hulk).
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    byc said:
    Cloak and Dagger are really good too.  They'd be top tier if they were a 4*.
    ...? 

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    byc said:
    The rumor I heard is that D3 pays more to Marvel for brand new characters than for an alternate version of a character already in-game.  If that is true, don't waste the energy getting upset about alternate versions.  The financial realities are what they are.

That's a bit weird in the sense that Marvel would charge different rates for characters that share the same name.  The only reason to do that is to incentivize the licensee to keep using similar characters (usually the most popular ones like Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Hulk).
    I don't think Marvel charges differently for different new characters. Rather, I think adding in a variant doesn't incur a new expense.

There's probably an "A" fee for licensing, getting the legal documentation in order so they can use the character and both D3/Demi and Marvel are covered appropriately.

Then there's probably a "B" fee for getting Marvel's stamp of approval on the powers and artwork or whatever.

For a variant, they've already covered the A fee to get the character in the game, so they only have to pay new B fees for the variant.

Quick example, let's say they want to add someone for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Add in Yondu, that's an A and a B to pay. Add in a new Rocket & Groot (gotta love that Baby Groot craze, right?), well, they already paid the A fee to get the 3* into the game, so a new version only incurs B fees. It's not that Yondu costs more than Rocket & Groot, but that D3/Demi have already made the down payment to be allowed to use R&G in the first place.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I am glad to finally see these two in game. Every poll I ask to see them added. As the article stated they are classic characters people have been clamoring to see. I don't see them having any difficulty paying money for any character they wish to add in-game. What it boils down too is what players are asking for and it's def not more variants. I mean are we going to get another Spider-Man when Homecoming comes out? I hope and pray they don't. I can already assume as well that we will be getting various Guardians of the Galaxy variants in the very near future, which is lack luster since all of them are already in play. I can assume that were testing the switch feature with Cloak and Dagger and probably will do the same thing with the next Groot and Rocket variant I'm sure is already developed, since everyone love baby Groot.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually DO want a new Spider-Man, because it'd be nice to have a solid usable Peter Parker in the 4* tier. It stinks when one of your favorite characters is in the game four times, the first is only good for the tutorial stretch of the game, the second is garbage and hard to acquire to boot, the third is mediocre and has powers that don't logically represent the character in a good way, and the last is super rare and hard to acquire and use.

I don't think the game needs five Spideys, but somehow they've managed to put him in four times and make it feel like he isn't really in the game, and I'd like to see that fixed, you know? But I also lament that GotG 2 is coming out, and we're probably going to get a 5* Star Lord (since they seem to have a pattern now of taking MCU characters and giving us 5*s for them) and a new Rocket & Baby Groot pair, when Yondu/Nebula/Mantis would be more interesting for the sake of variety.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I agree with you, I could care less about the characters, never a big fan of them, but it is a very unique character build and introduces a new dynamic into the game which is always good.  I cannot comment yet if they are good or not in the game but they are fun and unique to play. The list of these unique character is too short (Nova, 4Thore, Iceman, Agent Venom, Green Goblin, 5Hulk, 5Jean Grey, Thanos) and I hope they continue trying out new builds even if they don't work well (Vision).  Now here is hoping for Rogue, Blob, Kitty Pride, Toad, Apocalypse, Blink, Magik etc.  I know I am a little X heavy but we are missing some major people in there and you could get some very unique game mechanics from them :)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    There will be no more X-characters in this game.  Not for a good long while, at least - enjoy the ones you have.  There obviously is some moratorium in place, even though the comics are going heavy again on X-books.  Marvel does not seem to want to help Fox succeed with their movies/TV shows.  People have posted about this before....toys and comics, OK.  Games and other merchandising, nope.  Deadpool is one X-ception apparently - he's too popular to not merchandise.  

RE:  C&D - there is a TV show that may begin filming in the near future.  I haven't seen any news (casting etc) so it's hard to say when.  But, I can believe that Marvel wants to build these characters' visibility and this game is one way....The more characters that are well-known, the better for Marvel.  Especially since they can't use X-characters in TV and movies.