Mana Motes?

TheDragonHermit
TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I've seen this idea done elsewhere, cannot immediately recall where. Duplicate cards could be rendered down to Mana Motes, fragments of cards with different properties, and then recombined to form new cards. The cost of the new cards would vary based on rarity and require different combinations of motes of the various properties. The rendering could even be at a loss to balance out the opertunity of selecting cards.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    so essentially crafting cards? sorry i think as it stands now there is enough to chase in the game and this would be another unattainable goal for new players to complain about because they couldnt get xxx component they need for yyy card that is way too OP
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Why would it be another unobtainable goal for new players? Of course new players wouldn't have materials to craft cards immediately but they also wouldn't need to because they aren't getting dupes as frequently...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Many players have asked for this before, and I would like to see it happen. However, since it means less money for the developers since we get so many free cards (and ultimately so many duplicates). Why buy packs when you can just make the cards you want?

I'm certain Wizards of the Coast is charging them a pretty fair amount to license the game, so they can't afford to give people too much of an opportunity to get exactly what they want.  However as a way of getting some of the more common "chase" cards, cycle cards that were event rewards or previously purchasable through the shop for money. Let people who weren't playing at the time Mirrorpool was a reward or Olivia was purchasable the opportunity to get the same card as people who have been playing longer. They can still sell the cards for the $30 price tag, and I suspect it'll make them more money than people trying to pull them from packs, especially since Innistrad and Zendikar aren't permanently in the store.
  • TheDragonHermit
    As I suggested, this would be done at a heavy loss per card, this would mean a lot more cards going into the motes with a chance you won't get that one you need. This would still encourage trying to get more cards, either to pull that one card you need (a feeling I know too well) or grind the inevitable dupes down for a chance at that mote. Seems like a system to make all those dupes worth something if a player doesn't need runes and D3 won't allow us to trade, as we would with cards we have no use for in paper MtG .
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Maybe another option is to change the cash out currency...  One way might be on mastery with the current Runes at Bronze and Silver, Crystals at Gold, and Unobtanium at Platinum...  Another might be to trade out runes for common/uncommon dupes, crystals for rare dupes, and unobtanium for mythic or masterpiece dupes...
  • TheDragonHermit
    Might be a nice option depending on how much is doled out per card. Players are already upset about how often they get dupes, giving crystals out seems like cycling in more frustrating duplicate cards. Though it could be posed as a way to get plainswalkers easier after making crystals more difficult to obtain from events.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread appears to be predicated on the assumption that the reason that D3 aren't going to give us cards or runes or crystals any more is that they can't think of any good ways of doing it.

I'm not altogether sure that that's the case.
  • TheDragonHermit
    I seem to recall @Brigby mentioning in a few threads that there were plans in the works for a new way of handling duplicates, in the next few months though. Not sure if they meant by eliminating dupes from the draw list (how I might solve the issue if I made a game like this) or by converting drawn dupes to a means to gain new cards (which opens an option to manipulate the value of the exchange for balance/requiring more cards thus more packs to open.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    apparently its something like being able to use dupes to help you aquire cards you don't have
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    @TheDragonHermit

http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/659805/#Comment_659805

Brigby said:
    The team is currently developing a system that addresses duplicates, in order to give them more value than just converting into runes. You can expect this to be implemented within the next couple of months. (Sorry I don't have more info. Still too early in development for me to receive any announceable information)
  • TheDragonHermit
    Thanks @shteev