Masterpiece Collection Duplicates

Options
BLKDarkness7
BLKDarkness7 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I am writing this forum post because I opened two consecutive masterpiece collection packs and received the exact same (mythic) card twice.

As the only real way to have enough mana jewels to open a masterpiece collection pack at this point is through indirect purchase, accumulating 400 mana jewels (let alone enough to open two packs) is quite an expensive cost to bear.

Since I only had one of the cards in the entire pack, I kind of expected to receive two new cards (mythic or otherwise). However, what transpired was pulling the exact same mythic card back to back.

I can potentially understand how one might be capable of pulling a card that you previously had in your inventory, but I do not understand how you are able to pull duplicate cards on subsequent pack openings from such a small pool of cards.

As a suggestion to D3: consider eliminating the possibility to pull a duplicate card from the same masterpiece collection pack. Yes, I understand that increases the odds of obtaining a unique card on any subsequent openings, but these packs cost 400 mana jewels. Hypothetically, if someone is willing to spend real money to purchase 3200 mana jewels in order to get every card in a specific masterpiece collection pack (during a 14 day timeframe), then they should be able to get a unique card each time they open that pack.

I have submitted this issue to customer support, however I wanted to let the community know as well: You're not just spending your 400 mana jewels on Yahenni (read: that one card you don't want), you're spending those mana jewels to get 2 of them.

TL;DR: Masterpiece collection packs give duplicates on subsequent openings, which they shouldn't because they're exorbitantly expensive.

Comments

• Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just opened my very first masterpiece collection pack. Got marionette master... A dupe... A dupe of a pretty useless mythic... The ONLY card I already had the pool.

Thanks...
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just open my second one as there were 3 swords avaialble. Only 2 of the 8 were possible dups and I got one (Dynavault Tower). My 1st one only had 1 possible dup and I got that as well (Lightning Runner)
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As the only real way to have enough mana jewels to open a masterpiece collection pack at this point is through indirect purchase, accumulating 400 mana jewels (let alone enough to open two packs) is quite an expensive cost to bear.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61025&p=651121#p651121

Buyers remorse doesn't have to happen.
    Not. Another. Dime.
    Not. One. Dime.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Going to reiterate my suggestion:

Elite Packs should roll 3 cards, and let you choose 1 of them.

Without community support this will never get anywhere. Lots of complaints, very little support for change.

Yes please!!! and masterpiece packs should be guaranteed not to give duplicates. Simple as that

in the end more will be sold since people are well rewarded for their money
  • BLKDarkness7
    BLKDarkness7 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Sorin81 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61025&p=651121#p651121

Buyers remorse doesn't have to happen.
    Not. Another. Dime.
    Not. One. Dime.

For the record, I have stopped spending money. I just didn't spend the mana jewels that I had got from the previous purchases.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Shame on you D3 for using dishonest practices to deceive your player base. Most of the people were having fun playing this game now you've made it an expensive dupe factory that we all come to 9-5 instead of an exscape from our 9-5.
  • jetnoctis
    jetnoctis Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The elite packs should have 3 masterpieces in them. Nothing else. Any "watering down" (not that I think they are particularly powerful) with mythics is just insulting, considering how long it takes to accumulate 400 unobtainium. As the packs are, I won't be opening any elite packs even when (if?) I eventually get the requisite amount because the idea of a dupe mythic for all that effort would dishearten me too greatly.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jetnoctis wrote:
    As the packs are, I won't be opening any elite packs even when (if?) I eventually get the requisite amount because the idea of a dupe mythic for all that effort would dishearten me too greatly.

I've just hit 400j this weekend, and I can't bring myself to buy the current pack on the offchance of a new Cataclysmic Gearhulk or Aetherworks Marvel, or 3% chance of a Masterpiece. And this booster is much better than the last one, which only featured Lightning Runner that I cared about at Mythic.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    jetnoctis wrote:
    As the packs are, I won't be opening any elite packs even when (if?) I eventually get the requisite amount because the idea of a dupe mythic for all that effort would dishearten me too greatly.

I've just hit 400j this weekend, and I can't bring myself to buy the current pack on the offchance of a new Cataclysmic Gearhulk or Aetherworks Marvel, or 3% chance of a Masterpiece. And this booster is much better than the last one, which only featured Lightning Runner that I cared about at Mythic.

Yeah, I don't like this new Elite pack rotation nonsense. The only cards I don't have in this rotation are Dynavolt Tower and the Swords. There is no way in tinykitty tinykitty that I'm going to open that pack, which basically means "Oh well, I guess I'll have to sit on my jewels and wait for the next rotation".

I have a feeling that I will always have at least one or two cards in the packs already and as such the solution (as initially proposed by Ohboy) of waiting until the next rotation will just continue ad infinitum.

And suppose I actually want Dynavolt Tower (which I do). Since the elite pack is stuffed with a bunch of cards I don't want, I don't think it is any "easier" to "target specific cards" like they were intending to do.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I mean, let's be honest. The easiest way to make the community happy in this regard is to have 400J let you look at a sheet of every card available in the game, pick one, and get it. Then players can get to 400J and just get the card they want the most. You could have this option be one of two, the other being to buy a pack of masterpiece-only cards where players can try their luck to get the masterpiece they really want.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DumasAG wrote:
    I mean, let's be honest. The easiest way to make the community happy in this regard is to have 400J let you look at a sheet of every card available in the game, pick one, and get it. Then players can get to 400J and just get the card they want the most. You could have this option be one of two, the other being to buy a pack of masterpiece-only cards where players can try their luck to get the masterpiece they really want.

This would actually make me more likely to participate in those **** Trials of the Planes events. They're a complete waste of time and resources right now. But if I could be certain sure that I would get what I wanted at the end of all that grinding, then I would probably do them.
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DumasAG wrote:

Happy community, lousy business model.

As is demonstrated time and time again, people spend ridiculous amounts of money on this game chasing elusive cards. Any sort of trading system or card picking guarantee would undercut that significantly and D3H know it.

In the middle of Not Another Dime, many people are spending on bundles and Tezz. Nothing fundamental will ever change when this is the case.

At this point, as much sympathy as I should have, people should really know better by now than to expect positive results when spending money on this game. I would even go further and say I continue to hope the buying experience is as awful as possible, it's the only way people will stop spending money on a broken system.

Caveat Emptor
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Matthew wrote:
    DumasAG wrote:

This would actually make me more likely to participate in those tinykitty Trials of the Planes events. They're a complete waste of time and resources right now. But if I could be certain sure that I would get what I wanted at the end of all that grinding, then I would probably do them.

I agree. I really want Dynavolt Tower. Really do. But I have the hulks, and spending a scarce resource to get a duplicate card just isn't going to happen. I'll just wait for Amonkhet, or a set where there are 8 cards that are brand new to me.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smaller periods between rotation and a mythic pool that draws from every set. That's really all that's needed to keep it exciting.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am writing this forum post because I opened two consecutive masterpiece collection packs and received the exact same (mythic) card twice.

Since I only had one of the cards in the entire pack, I kind of expected to receive two new cards (mythic or otherwise). However, what transpired was pulling the exact same mythic card back to back.

I can potentially understand how one might be capable of pulling a card that you previously had in your inventory, but I do not understand how you are able to pull duplicate cards on subsequent pack openings from such a small pool of cards.

As a suggestion to D3: consider eliminating the possibility to pull a duplicate card from the same masterpiece collection pack. Yes, I understand that increases the odds of obtaining a unique card on any subsequent openings, but these packs cost 400 mana jewels. Hypothetically, if someone is willing to spend real money to purchase 3200 mana jewels in order to get every card in a specific masterpiece collection pack (during a 14 day timeframe), then they should be able to get a unique card each time they open that pack.

I have submitted this issue to customer support, however I wanted to let the community know as well: You're not just spending your 400 mana jewels on Yahenni (read: that one card you don't want), you're spending those mana jewels to get 2 of them.

TL;DR: Masterpiece collection packs give duplicates on subsequent openings, which they shouldn't because they're exorbitantly expensive.

I highly recommend you sign up for the "Not.Another.Dime" movement. Don't spend another penny on this game until they make some adjustments. Primarily to drop rates, duplicate issues, and the ridiculously nerfed event rewards.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    it's'simple: Elite packs shouldn't'give a masterpiece OR myhthic that you allready own.

NO DUPES IN ELITE PACKS, AT ALL!
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I would be surprised if they would listen to our feedbacks. They won't give a darn about it.
    You see, we have already been ranting since the start of the roll-out until now and we have yet to receive any sort of outcome from them.
    You think they really care? I think if this game goes down the drain, they will just make use of the money they have earned and move on to another one.
    I don't see how this game is going to be sustainable.
    There's a lack of communication from D3H to address issues ranging from bugs, duplicates, bad events, events rewards, matchmaking, imbalanced cards, cheating, etc.
    I haven't personally seen any effort made to appease the players, even during the anniversary, it wasn't fantastic.
    We are paying customers, and I believe many of us in the forum are. Yet, have we really gotten what we deserve? It's just a feeling of emptiness and sometimes anger, with a mix of regret here and there.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options

It seems the way they do this in Marvel Puzzle Quest might be an appropriate alternative: The "Vault" has a list of prizes that X off as they are acquired. Then again, in Marvel PQ, multiple covers is something you typically actually want...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hey Everyone. Just wanted to stop by to mention a couple of things:

1) The team is currently developing a system that addresses duplicates, in order to give them more value than just converting into runes. You can expect this to be implemented within the next couple of months. (Sorry I don't have more info. Still too early in development for me to receive any announceable information)

2) If you do happen to receive a duplicate Masterpiece, then please leave it in your inventory, and send in a support ticket. Customer Support will be able to credit you a one-time exception Elite Pack. If you find that you receive a duplicate even in the compensation Elite Pack, then please reach out to Customer Support again, and they will credit you Elite Packs until you no longer receive a duplicate.

Update: The policy has been changed to limit the amount of re-rolls available, prior to ticket escalation. This update was made to prevent players from exploiting the policy.