Heroics & Unlimited Rosters

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
We've had a few heroic PvE events now since the change from limited rosters to unrestricted rosters. I'm curious how people feel now that they've had time to play and digest them.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Limited rosters made Heroics interesting. Good or bad, at least they stood out. Now they're the same as all of the other story events. Variety is a good thing.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    If the change was for new players or undeveloped rosters they should remove restriction from SCL 1-4 (or 5). I like the limit roster aspect, makes heroics a unique concept and trying out new combos is always interesting.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    While I know it sucks for those in the 5* scaling, I prefer the unrestricted rosters system. I always hated having my 100+ roster handicapped. This way the event goes faster and saves me health packs. If you miss the challenge of the older Heroics, just don't use anyone who isn't boosted.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58291&p=642034&hilit=exploring+options#p641964
    Brigby wrote:

Update: While character restrictions for Heroics is by no means permanent, the Venom: Heroic event will not have character restrictions. The developers are currently exploring other options on what to do with Heroics. Hope that helps!
    This was not supposed to be a permanent feature. I hope they return to limited rosters soon. The draw back is with character vaulting it would severely handicap anyone with out a complete roster
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The unlimited characters is the only reason I do them.

It's a slog enough doing a node 4 times.

i know it sucks for 5 rosters, but maybe ask them to lock out 5's?

It's not challenging at all to be handed a team that not everyone even has a cover of. It's a roster check.

If the teams were provided for each node and were just difficult fights that only needed to be cleared twice and had progression only awards?

count me in. until then. I much prefer this.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's the absolute worst. Give us back our game mode!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted no but its actually tough to consider now.

The positives of Restricted rosters:

Restricted rosters is great for 5* players - and since eventually we will all be in the 5* retirement home we should really be voting for things that make it a more positive experience.

The challenge is interesting and often times you have to be real creative with your team composition

It encourages people to roster everyone - this is really a positive for devs rather than us.

It is different than every other pve because of the restriction

The Positives of Un-Restricted rosters

New players will no longer feel 'locked out' of heroics. I remember being a 2* player and thinking these events sucked massive amounts of unwashed ****.

Easier on health packs meaning you can play more
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    The problem I had with limited rosters was just one, but man! It sucked!!!

It was the hardest thing to find characters within those limitations that actually worked well together! Undercovered and underdeveloped roster made heroics an absolute nightmare for me.

Now that the restriction is gone, however, heroics are just another pve...

Maybe some middle solution can be found but I cannot think of ine at the moment
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Heroics were always an opportunity to use some unique character combos that were otherwise forgotten. Sometimes that was a big hit, sometimes it was a huge miss. But at least we got some relief from 5* scaling for an event. Not so much anymore.

Just this weekend I was playing and had shielded in PvP, finished my PvE grind, and wanted to play with some of my new 4* toys. All I can q in Sim is 5*s so I played a couple fights with my 270s against 450s and that just didn't work out very well. I'd really enjoy more events where I'm not forced to use only my 5*s.
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    I think with the new vaulting it is even more important that the heroics be open to all characters, yes, it sucks for those in 5* land, but that is a small minority of the overall player base.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Especially in case of the current Heroic I'm enjoying the part that my roster is unlimited. Jean Grey is my only boosted 4* champion for this week and since her abilities are relatively expensive I need at least one battery (SW or IM40) to make her faster & more effective.

Without these supporting characters I would be left stranded in this PVE.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it, but I get the problems for high level 5* players.

That said, I see that as a incredible condemnation of the scaling they've implemented for 5*. If it is so unpleasant to use the characters that represent the ultimate end goal of this, then why the *expletive* is getting them the ultimate end goal of the game?
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Taking away a unique gameplay mode is the opposite direction the game should be going after 3+yrs....
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    If it is so unpleasant to use the characters that represent the ultimate end goal of this, then why the *expletive* is getting them the ultimate end goal of the game?
    Amen, brother. As the game currently stands, I have no intention of ever leveling a 5-star higher than 270. There's absolutely no benefit. 4-star land is the sweet spot between scaling and roster variety.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I would be ok with it going back to limited rosters, but I don't think it makes the game better. I don't think it promotes variety since I would find the one or two full rainbow combinations that played ok together and use that the whole event. I try to play around with different teams in pve already, thats a lot more fun with a full roster than a limited one.

I wonder what the reaction would be if heroics didn't exist before but were just introduced now. Wouldn't the main sentiment be something like, "why?, no one asked for this" with some people saying "they just want us to spend money to roster everyone" and "why do this when they still haven't fixed xyz?" Unless they gave the reason that their band-aid for scaling was to just freeze out 5*s, I don't see the point.

The pros are all about it how it feels, the cons are all about how it actually affects gameplay.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    If it is so unpleasant to use the characters that represent the ultimate end goal of this, then why the *expletive* is getting them the ultimate end goal of the game?
    Amen, brother. As the game currently stands, I have no intention of ever leveling a 5-star higher than 270. There's absolutely no benefit. 4-star land is the sweet spot between scaling and roster variety.

Seconded^^^
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Every single node is surfer, Phoenix, boosted 4*. I enjoyed the break heroics provided. Maybe in this most recent run I would have used c4ge, Mordo, fantastic. Who knows.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't really care that much. I liked when the rosters were limited since it made me use characters I'd otherwise probably bench, but it also suuuuucked when there were no good synergies available and you had to just brute force it with tons of health packs.

I will say that they should probably remove the "heroic" label since there is nothing separating them from regular events now.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    firethorne wrote:

As one of the first and most vocal users to complain of 5* scaling I will say that it's not exactly unpleasant to play at the 5* tier, but it is definitely broken. I still enjoy the game, and I like finding new combos for my growing 5* roster....I just wish the scaling weren't so lopsided so that 5* players could be rewarded for their efforts as much as 3* and 4* players are.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I begrudgingly participated in heroic events before the change. Having to trudge through the story event with what limited unconnected champions I was allowed to use was not fun. Since the change I get to use the champions I have worked hard to champion and I now enjoy heroics.

I understand that there is little to no difference between heroics and normal events, but I don't have a problem with that. If I'm board with story events I'll play versus.

Thank you D3 for opening heroics and giving me another event to enjoy.