Still waiting for answers on update 1.10.2

Options
toastie
toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
As you well know by now, the vast majority of us think update 1.10.2 was pretty terrible. It has been a few weeks now, and we still think it is pretty terrible, and still haven't gotten actual answers to some important questions. You have had time to gather feedback, have some meetings, and at least have some ideas of what (if anything) you are going to improve about this update, so it is past time to be giving us some answers.

1. What is going to be done to address duplicates, and when can we expect that to happen?

So far all we know is that there is some plan maybe, that we can expect some months from now. This is one of the single most frustrating and awful things about the game, and we want a better answer than that. What specifically is being considered? Is this a feature that is actively being worked on or is it still just planned?

2. Are changes to event rewards still being considered (especially Trial of the Planes)? If so, when can we expect more information / changes?

Rewards for events obviously got significantly worse, and the main culprit of that is mana jewels. Currently it takes an exceedingly long time to collect enough to get a single elite pack. You had said you were going to evaluate whether to adjust rewards, can we get any sort of update on this? Additionally, TotP 100% isn't worth it unless you are in platinum, and even then it is debatable. I personally would love to have more events to play, but the cost of that is prohibitive considering what you get from it. Are there any plans to adjust this specifically?

3. Are elite packs going to stay as is? Are there going to be changes to elite packs giving duplicates?

Elite packs are pretty terrible for the cost currently, with an approximately 5% chance at getting a masterpiece, and the possibility of getting duplicate mythics. These were advertised as a means of chasing specific mythics, and I don't know of anyone who actually feels like they deliver on this promise. Some quick math puts them at a valuation of $24, how do you justify a duplicate worth 1000 runes (15 minutes of QB) for that cost? Considering it would likely take the average player several years to get a masterpiece out of an elite pack, are the drop rates going to stay the same?

4. Are drop rates / packs going to be reevaluated?

We did the math, and the changes to packs do result in more rares on average, but they also result in fewer mythics, due to getting fewer packs for your crystals, and the guaranteed rare not being able to be a mythic. Additionally, this change nerfed monthly and QB rewards. Overall the consensus is that this was a bad change for the players. Do you have any plans to address this?

5. What are you going to do in the future to improve your communication with the community?

This is probably the most important question. There is absolutely no excuse for how bad communication with the community has been, especially regarding this update. None. I have been playing games for close to 20 years and can't recall a many development teams that have struggled this badly to communicate. The way this patch was advertised was, at best, extremely misleading, almost no response was given other than "well we thought it was good" for days, and here we are, weeks out with no real answers to important questions. There needs to be changes when it comes to your communication to us, what are you going to do to make that happen?

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,242 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nice summary, but raise your hand if you thought they were just going to ignore us and hope the problem goes away.

/raise
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ya'll need to talk to us. We do all the talking and it doesn't seem to get us anywhere when it seems as if no one is listening.

Would a weekly digest of internal plans and goings-on be that big of a deal? A sort of MtgPQ newsletter or AMA?

Just once a week, a dev and Brigby get together and put something out there, maybe answer a few questions in a forum thread containing this? We don't want trade secrets and iron-clad promises- just a decent line of communication to you guys. Answer some questions and give us a reason to look forward to new content! Otherwise we just sit here, thinking about whether or not to blow an hour plus on another lame Fate is Rarely Fair for a dupe rare and a few crystals.

You guys say you want feedback and ideas for improvement. How about let's put an easy one into action. Put your money where your mouth is.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,943 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crickets...
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phase wrote:
    Ya'll need to talk to us. We do all the talking and it doesn't seem to get us anywhere when it seems as if no one is listening.

Would a weekly digest of internal plans and goings-on be that big of a deal? A sort of MtgPQ newsletter or AMA?

Just once a week, a dev and Brigby get together and put something out there, maybe answer a few questions in a forum thread containing this? We don't want trade secrets and iron-clad promises- just a decent line of communication to you guys. Answer some questions and give us a reason to look forward to new content! Otherwise we just sit here, thinking about whether or not to blow an hour plus on another lame Fate is Rarely Fair for a dupe rare and a few crystals.

The newsletter would be a great idea. I'm guessing they would worry about the language and having to translate it to multiple languages, but then again, most of the languages are "Roman-friendly" and could Google-translate (as far as I know, anyway), but yeah, if it keeps people interested in what's coming up, what's going on...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    (Disclaimer: We will be having our first meeting of the week tomorrow, so this information may be subject to change. I will try to keep it all as updated as possible)

1. System Addressing Duplicates
    As of right now, all the information I currently possess is simply high-level details. The specific details, for example whether it's a conversion process or crafting system, etc, are still in development. I will say though, that I'll make sure to inquire about what will happen to all the cards some players have been hoarding once this system has been implemented, and update the community once I find out.

2. Event Reward Changes (Trial of the Planes)
    While I don't have any news about definitive changes, I can say for certain that the team has not let up its evaluation and monitoring of the results from the past week or two since Trial of the Planes went live. We will be discussing these results further this week, and should there be any update I can announce, then I will be sure to let the community know immediately.

In addition, we've requested a confirmation button be added to the event to prevent further accidental entries.

3 & 4. Elite Packs and Drop Rates
    I do not currently possess any information regarding the status of changes to Elite Packs and/or their drop rates. Having said that though, we currently do have a policy for duplicate Masterpieces.

CS Policy: If you have received a duplicate Masterpiece, please leave it in your inventory! Send a support ticket in, and Customer Support will credit you a second Elite Pack as a one-time exception. Should you receive yet another duplicate from that Elite Pack compensation, reach out to Customer Support in that same or other ticket, and they will credit you Elite Packs until you no longer receive a duplicate.

5. Future Communication
    From a personal stance, I will do my best to provide as much information as I can ahead of time, so players don't feel like they're being left in the dark. To aid in this process, I have created a Bug Status List in the Bugs & Technical Issues thread that will allow players to keep track of certain issues the development team is working on at any given time.

You can find that list here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=61987

In addition, I will be working on a Development Feature Status List that will accomplish the same goal. This one might take me a little longer to organize though, compared to the Bugs Status List, so please be patient when it comes to its implementation.
  • toastie
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    (Disclaimer: We will be having our first meeting of the week tomorrow, so this information may be subject to change. I will try to keep it all as updated as possible)

Thank you for the prompt response Brigby. It would be greatly appreciated if you could voice some of these concerns in the meeting and try to get us some answers. We definitely understand that information about future patches can change, we are not expecting nothing you tell us to change, we just want increased transparency in the development process, especially when it comes to polarizing updates like this.

The bug status and development feature status lists are excellent ideas, and will be much appreciated.
  • Copioso
    Copioso Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    toastie wrote:
    4. Are drop rates / packs going to be reevaluated?

We did the math, and the changes to packs do result in more rares on average, but they also result in fewer mythics, due to getting fewer packs for your crystals, and the guaranteed rare not being able to be a mythic. Additionally, this change nerfed monthly and QB rewards. Overall the consensus is that this was a bad change for the players. Do you have any plans to address this?

I was surprised to find this out, but I'm quite sure that the guaranteed rare you get with premium packs still has a - ridiculously low, apparently - chance of being a mythic instead, despite the new description in the vault: a couple of days after the update I opened an origins premium pack, and the guaranteed rare (the one that comes in a booster containing only that card) was actually a mythic.
    Needless to say that, even after being blessed with that dupe Zendikar's incarnation, I still agree with everything OP said.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    5. Future Communication
    From a personal stance, I will do my best to provide as much information as I can ahead of time, so players don't feel like they're being left in the dark. To aid in this process, I have created a Bug Status List in the Bugs & Technical Issues thread that will allow players to keep track of certain issues the development team is working on at any given time.

You can find that list here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=61987

It's great to hear that there are only 6 bugs left in the game!
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    CS Policy: If you have received a duplicate Masterpiece, please leave it in your inventory! Send a support ticket in, and Customer Support will credit you a second Elite Pack as a one-time exception. Should you receive yet another duplicate from that Elite Pack compensation, reach out to Customer Support in that same or other ticket, and they will credit you Elite Packs until you no longer receive a duplicate.

This is grossly misleading. The reality of the situation is:

Send a support ticket in, and Customer Support will credit you a second Elite Pack as a one-time exception. It is highly probable that you will receive a duplicate mythic in this pack, it which point CS will send you a form letter and do nothing further.

This is not hyperbole.
  • toastie
    Options
    Copioso wrote:
    I was surprised to find this out, but I'm quite sure that the guaranteed rare you get with premium packs still has a - ridiculously low, apparently - chance of being a mythic instead, despite the new description in the vault: a couple of days after the update I opened an origins premium pack, and the guaranteed rare (the one that comes in a booster containing only that card) was actually a mythic.

This is the first I have heard of this happening, good to know. Anyone else have this happen?
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    toastie wrote:
    Copioso wrote:

This is the first I have heard of this happening, good to know. Anyone else have this happen?

I can also confirm that this happens. I opened bfz pack and the guaranteedrare was a mythic....actually got 3 mythics in that one purchase.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    toastie wrote:
    Thank you for the prompt response Brigby. It would be greatly appreciated if you could voice some of these concerns in the meeting and try to get us some answers. We definitely understand that information about future patches can change, we are not expecting nothing you tell us to change, we just want increased transparency in the development process, especially when it comes to polarizing updates like this.

The bug status and development feature status lists are excellent ideas, and will be much appreciated.
    Of course! I'll be sure to relay the community's current concerns to the developers, and see what their thoughts and/or plans to address them are.
    shteev wrote:
    It's great to hear that there are only 6 bugs left in the game!
    *ahem*

"I've created this list below to keep track of various issues that players have reported in the Bugs & Technical Issues thread ... PS. This list is currently incomplete, but I will gradually add all the current bug reports to it. (Takes a bit of time to search and add everything)"
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1. Why Event participation counters have been removed with the "controversial" update ?

2. Why Solo rewards have been nerfed (no more mythics for top 5)
  • Infested
    Options
    I believe that they no longer want mythics as a reward and want you to use the crystals as the reward because the players under top 5 had no chance at getting them.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Infested wrote:
    I believe that they no longer want mythics as a reward and want you to use the crystals as the reward because the players under top 5 had no chance at getting them.

So... now no one has the chance of getting them?

Honestly the problem was less that they wanted to stop giving mythics out to top coalitions like candy, and more in the way they nerfed the prizes. It made it so mid level players absolutely have no shot of getting decks that can compete with top tier players. In the past, you join a top 10 coalition, a set rotates in and you start getting some really solid gear.

Now, you might get 2-3 mythics per set if you are lucky.
  • Infested
    Options
    That is the biggest problem that I have with this update. They took the good cards from the top players because the lower tier of players couldnt get them. Now no one can get them and the higher tier still has their stockpile. The new player will still get dominated by those old mythics and has no chance of earning new ones.
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Infested wrote:

Also, it really upsets me and I know pretty much every member of a coalition in the top 100 or so, that the event rewards that according to cthula were supposed to be greatly improved were in fact nerfed to the point that no one gives a damn anymore about winning really. What's the point? For both personal rewards and team rewards the difference between coming 1st or 50th is almost non existent. You want anyone to spend money on this game you have to give them a reason to wish to be competitive. Why would anyone bother to spend real money on digital cards that only held worth in a competitive atmosphere when you removed any drive to he competitive?
    We have been waiting for an answer to this question now for weeks.
    We see this question posted over and over again. Posts are piece mealed for answers to always avoid this question. We aren't blind. We see the evasion. You want to see me and every other whale start spending money again? Then answer this question. When will the reward system be fixed to make it worthwhile to spend money again to be competitive? No evasions. No "we are compiling data" . No more cop out's. There is no data to compile. We have given you more than enough feedback on this.
    Until you fix the reward system and drop rates....Not!!!Another!!!Dime!!!!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 wrote:
    Infested wrote:

Honestly the problem was less that they wanted to stop giving mythics out to top coalitions like candy, and more in the way they nerfed the prizes. It made it so mid level players absolutely have no shot of getting decks that can compete with top tier players. In the past, you join a top 10 coalition, a set rotates in and you start getting some really solid gear.

OK for the last time. "all players can join a top 10 coalition for mythics when starting out" is not a valid solution.

There are 20k players in the game give or take. They cannot all squeeze into 15ish coalitions.

If you already know how to contact someone from a top coalition, you're not the average player. The vast majority of players never had the "shot" you're talking about.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,943 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:
    Infested wrote:

OK for the last time. "all players can join a top 10 coalition for mythics when starting out" is not a valid solution.

There are 20k players in the game give or take. They cannot all squeeze into 15ish coalitions.

If you already know how to contact someone from a top coalition, you're not the average player. The vast majority of players never had the "shot" you're talking about.

But there also isn't this big barrier to entry. If you are a motivated enough player, and have found your way to this forum, there are plenty of B and C teams to these top 15 coalitions, and they are usually actively recruiting for new players. There is a lot of turnover in these coalitions as well. Especially in the last few months.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Infested wrote:
    players below top 5 ended up with worse rewards because they didnt have enough points to end up higher. We can also talk about last "racing" round of the last revent for perfect scorers. Those players were rewarded with a chance of getting non dupe mythic

@Ohboy
    You cant say 20k players cant squeeze into top 15 coalitions Im pretty sure big chunk of them have made deliberate choice of playing more casually and are not chasing bigger rewards actively.