Countdown to disaster!

Redrobot30
Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So I just started playing the Venom Bomb event, fully aware of the countdown tile problem, and this event is completely unplayable. COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE. I'm about halfway through the first round of nodes right now and I am getting destroyed by these Symbiote goons. I'm getting hit for 4k+ damage for each of their countdown tiles that are going off. Some of you are probably getting hit for worse damage. I don't even want to play the later subnodes, they are going to get even nastier. Talk about a healthpack drain.

I usually don't mind playing Venom Bomb because it seems like alot of people don't play it, thus I get high placement rewards, but I'm not going to participate in this debacle anymore. I've been playing this game for a long time and this is the worst bug combined with the worst possible event to play aaaand its for a character release?!? Just crazy. Complete disaster. Not worth my time. Quickest event drop out ever. Just had to get this frustration out, see you guys/gals in the next event brackets....

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you saying the event will improve when Venom and Carnage show up?
  • Redrobot30
    Quebbster wrote:
    Are you saying the event will improve when Venom and Carnage show up?

icon_e_biggrin.gif it might be the first time in MPQ history that people are happy to get to face Carnage and his feeder goons node. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carnage has no Red in this and venom's black makes your attack tiles stronger
    of Course it also weakens C4ge's protect tiles
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I just did a 6/6 clear grind and used a grand total of 1 health pack. Jean probably didn't even need it either. Just don't like when toons get under half health.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I forgot about the countdown bug when I was playing. Now it makes sense why I burned a few more health packs than I normally would.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    gravel wrote:
    I forgot about the countdown bug when I was playing. Now it makes sense why I burned a few more health packs than I normally would.

Argh I have lost count of how many bugs this game has (did you see what I did there icon_e_biggrin.gif)

No seriously, which is this one? I guess it is not the Medusa countdown bug.

I checked the Bugs section and I guess it is the bug about all countdown when they resolve they do 1 damage?

Seriously, this game is a mess icon_e_sad.gif
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I've actually been using a modestly-covered (maybe 6-7 covers each) 4* Luke Cage and Wasp team and have been impressed with how well they counter symbiotes, countdown bug and all. I won't say that I escape untouched, but it's been enough to do full clears with the standard health pack allotment.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    None of my 4-stars are champed and my scaling is the same (final node is 321 after 4th clear) and didn't have a problem the first day (6/6 clears) and today in my first 4 clears. I'm not sure where the countdowns doing 1 damage makes a difference at all since all of their countdowns do damage upon completion except maybe some of the HAMMER commanders.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    None of my 4-stars are champed and my scaling is the same (final node is 321 after 4th clear) and didn't have a problem the first day (6/6 clears) and today in my first 4 clears. I'm not sure where the countdowns doing 1 damage makes a difference at all since all of their countdowns do damage upon completion except maybe some of the HAMMER commanders.

The strike.png tiles DO effect those extra 1's.

So higher scaling, with strike.png tiles that get boosted every turn, those 1's are no longer 1's and do make a difference.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I had a match against Thugs and their overscaled strike tiles in Thick as Thieves where the countdowns were doing 10k+ dmg when they went off. Not looking forward to more of that in Venom Bomb.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    GurlBYE wrote:

So higher scaling, with strike.png tiles that get boosted every turn, those 1's are no longer 1's and do make a difference.

Right, understood. I meant that almost all of the symbiote countdown tiles do damage when they expire either way.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    GurlBYE wrote:

Right, understood. I meant that almost all of the symbiote countdown tiles do damage when they expire either way.
    And now they do additional damage. Where they didn't.

I don't think it's that hard to connect the dots here.

Not worth quitting over, but a slight annoyance.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't seen any countdowns doing damage twice, I have to say. I've seen countdowns doing a minimum of one damage, but I have not seen a countdown do 1200 damage, and one additional damage (then double-dipped with strike tiles).

It was definitely much worse against the Maggia Muscle.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    That was weird. Move a long, no double post to see here.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    More people should agree with the OP and abandon this event. Help make my placement easier.

I never have an issue with this event, didn't for 6 clears in the first sub and didn't for 4 in the 2nd. I'm bang average at this game and the powers but I never get the hate for VB. I find it fairly light on health packs. 3 is a bad run for 4 clears. I didn't even notice the countdown issue.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    The first day was super easy. I do not think I have used that few of health packs before while running the same characters. I expect it to get tougher but not too much tougher. I have never been afraid of Carnage. I always welcomed him since he does make matches go faster. But, with the countdown bug, who knows? Good thing Strange's stun also attacks.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just did all my clears of first sub back to back with 4 clears of second sub (joined late in first sub) with C4ge/Mr F/3trange and did not use a single health pack and nobody died...once.

By the time their CD tiles expired cage was negating 3 or 4k of damage with his spammed protect tiles, plus the ones mr F spat out even a level 323 venom was only doing 3 damage against me with his powers. Piece of cake. Only downside is...soo many...ani-mations.

side note: Cage and Mr F go together really well. Only overlap is on 2 passives and Mr F creates fortified tiles with his 2 actives to beef up cage yellow. In addition to that while collecting red for cage you can hit with imaginaut. Really like this pair.

EDIT: I usually skip this event (really not a fan) but boosted cage has made it really easy
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    JackTenrec wrote:
    I've actually been using a modestly-covered (maybe 6-7 covers each) 4* Luke Cage and Wasp team and have been impressed with how well they counter symbiotes, countdown bug and all. I won't say that I escape untouched, but it's been enough to do full clears with the standard health pack allotment.

I've been using this, too. Wasp/Cage/Old Man Logan for the harder nodes, Cage set to 5 black and Wasp to 5 yellow. For the easier nodes - or the goon-only nodes - I was using Wasp/Cage/Kingpin, which is a lot of fun as Wasp makes countdowns for Kingpin to poke away and Kingpin makes more yellow AP for Wasp to buff the special tiles.

BUT -- the last node with Venom and two feeders is a nightmare. Using Cage got me through pretty unscathed, but each match was like 8 whole minutes. Venom was firing a power every single turn, and causing cascade after cascade. So not fun.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    In Slice 5 scl 8: Been using 3Blade, Flapcap, and 3Strange vs symbiotes and cruised through my 4x clear with no health pack use; switched out 3Strange for Mr F vs tile movers and was bascially healed every turn bc they'd match Blade's strike tiles or Flapcap's shields. However, I'm probably doing something wrong bc i'm in 39th place with a 1hr 18 min pace after the initial 4x clear. Maybe it's just the norm for new releases.
  • Redrobot30
    Tony Foot wrote:
    More people should agree with the OP and abandon this event. Help make my placement easier.

I never have an issue with this event, didn't for 6 clears in the first sub and didn't for 4 in the 2nd. I'm bang average at this game and the powers but I never get the hate for VB. I find it fairly light on health packs. 3 is a bad run for 4 clears. I didn't even notice the countdown issue.

Hopefully you were in my bracket then, you'd be one spot higher in the rankings by now. icon_e_biggrin.gif