Which goons are worse?

Comments

• kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Sentries are a pain, but nothing says, "Here, have an unwinnable board," like a bunch of Muscles.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to hate Muscles. Then I got Strange. I used to hate Kishus. Then I got Strange. I used to hate Sentries. Strange does nothing against Sentries. I still hate Sentries.
    This, right here. I hate seeing Sentries first in DDQ, because, yeah, Strange can't touch them, and the damn things generate AP by the truckload and don't actually use any of it. So whomever follows them gets all kinds of free stuff the moment they appear on screen.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Probably sentries. There really aren't any usable strategies against them -- it's entirely luck-based due to the ridiculous amount of board shake, which acts as a simultaneous counter to collecting AP efficiently, placing special tiles, stealing sentry tiles, and using countdown powers. Muscle and Kishu don't even register any more thanks to Dr. Strange.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting that the one which is voted worst also happens to be the one which wastes the most time. Not the most difficult..but the one which wastes the most precious commodity of all - time.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Maggia Muscle as the rare goon that makes me lose a fight with it's strike and tommy gun combo easily makes it Maggia for me. Sentries are a pain in the a**, but I don't remember having to replay their levels much.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Felessa wrote:
    Puce Moose wrote:
    SWARM! *waits five minutes for board to settle*
    Definitely Sentries, specially the Fighter one... oh how I hate him! They should update his description power with "Sentry Fighters burst through walls and crush everything in their path. If at the start of the turn there are fewer than 5 friendly Attack, Strike or Protect tiles, then go tinykitty yourself" icon_cry.gif

I altered your text to increase the accuracy. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Seems there's an issue with the way the question was framed, but you couldn't have known that before you got all these responses. As a group, as the question was asked, I'd definitely go with the Sentries. While I don't recall ever losing to them because I only see them on DDQ and Avengers v. Ultron side nodes, they are incredibly annoying to put down quickly. You can reliably expect **** luck with where "swarm" hits if you use countdown tiles or special tiles, and having all passive abilities, they don't necessarily need the ap that they gather. Therefore, they can randomly deny you a color match that you really need, on top of the ridiculous free cascades. And obviously the impunity to Faltine's Flame.

As a single goon though, I'm definitely in agreement with the sentiments on Maggia Muscle. With this new bug God forbid a CD go off while those strikes are on the board, or even worse, that the cd tile causes a cascade upon resolving. And that's just if they are by themselves with other goons. If there's a tile mover on that team you can essentially kiss the match goodbye if threaten goes off even 1 time. You can try to focus on the tile mover so that you're not doomed as soon as it goes off, but then you're still open for a devastating Tommy Gun to the whole squad. You can focus on muscle, but with their insane health if you don't drop them quick enough then threaten still eventually works you over. Yes there's all kinds of measures to steal, destroy, flip (Loki), or even reduce the tile, but the opponent still gets a move before its your turn again.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I don't get all the Sentry hate. They're annoying for sure, but that's all it is for me - annoying. I rarely, if ever, lose to them.

Muscles, on the other hand, can wreck my entire team in 2 turns if the board is bad and the countdowns start resolving.

Symbiotes would be a close second.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Ultron Sentries by far, although they can't quite be considered "goons" because they also match tiles
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Sentries without question. I swear if they just changed War Machine to keep his green/red and changed his blue to be a passive swarm I think it'd be a lot of fun to see the other side of it.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind wrote:
    Yeah, I don't get all the Sentry hate. They're annoying for sure, but that's all it is for me - annoying. I rarely, if ever, lose to them.

Muscles, on the other hand, can wreck my entire team in 2 turns if the board is bad and the countdowns start resolving.

Symbiotes would be a close second.
    When going for a speed grind in PVE, I'd rather lose (or retreat) after a few turns rather than be stuck for 5-10 minutes in one fight... That's why I voted sentries.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    It depends. If we're talking full groups of characters then sentries are annoying as hell. But if there's only one, then the symbiotes are way more annoying to deal with with their AP production. Espeically when teamed with someone like Ares.

That said, I voted Ninjas. I hate them, I hate their design, and I don't enjoy playing against them.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Killians8 wrote:
    Maggia Muscle as the rare goon that makes me lose a fight with it's strike and tommy gun combo easily makes it Maggia for me. Sentries are a pain in the a**, but I don't remember having to replay their levels much.

Sentries make you think and strategize. Maggia Muscle make you lose.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Symbiotes. Hands down. Sure, Maggias have Muscles; Ultron Sentries have Fighters; and Ninjas have Kishus. But they are the odds in the pack. Any of then can be deadly in unfortunate boards, but the rest of their packs are not that dangerous.

Symbiotes, on the other hand, have all the tinnykitties in their pack. Every single one of them is dangerous. Both time and health-pack consuming. And the synergy between them is stunningly well designed.

Not helping is the fact that they are the stars of Venom Bomb. The single tinniest kitten among the Events.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Sentries can be really troublesome but nothing beats Muscles especially now that countdown tile problem is out. They make 3 turn Threaten tiles and when they keep resolving, without Ant-Man or such you are in a big trouble. Sentries come good second place. Not sure why popular vote is still sentries icon_neutral.gif

Let me ask you a question: which will you rather choose: 2x muscles and Yelena Belova or 3x Sentries? Which you think you can handle better?
  • MpqTron
    MpqTron Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I'd take yelena and muscle most of the time. Strange makes mincemeat of them and with the blue stun as well as the passive are less annoying to me than muscles.
    I can't stand symbiotes though
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    MpqTron wrote:
    I'd take yelena and muscle most of the time. Strange makes mincemeat of them and with the blue stun as well as the passive are less annoying to me than muscles.
    I can't stand symbiotes though

That might work in early levels but when they become 250 levels and above, Strange can do his thing all he want and Muscles can take damage a lot before going down. When facing Sentries, they are easy to be ignored completely, destroying healer first and then in any order while you are not taking pretty much any damage unlike vs Muscles you are almost guaranteed to take damage unless you take Yelena down fast.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I really don't know if I misunderstood the question. I thought the question is on the goon category as a whole. Muscle is certainly the most dangerous of all goons, but Maggia as a whole is not that dangerous. As a whole, Maggia is even at no. 4 on my list; after Symbiotes, Ultron, and Ninjas.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted Symbiotes simply because those matches take forever when they're constantly doing **** to the board.

But I hate Muscles the most because of that one match that's basically impossible if you get the wrong board, PLUS it takes forever.... The Carnage and two Muscles match. I hate hate hate that match. Now, I haven't played that one with my newly champed Medusa, so maybe that will make things easier, but I've never given up more often than with that match.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    I remember muscles, they used to be really annoying. *Looks at champed BSS*. Not so much anymore, though. Ultron goons are annoying, yeah, but theyre nowhere near as bad as they used to be since the scaling curve for them got fixed.

I dont think anyone is giving the mindless ones their fair due, though. Not even a mention of them. Maybe its bc of 5* scaling, but I definitely remember certain nodes in the Strange pve being incredibly annoying with them, especially the wave nodes.

The most annoying one, for me, is the simbiote combo of random tile producers and....whatever the green goon is that buffs them every single turn, especially if they end up with protect and attack tiles out that are buffed and buffed in a bad spot that you cant clear them. Impossible to deal damage (if buffed enough) and damage taken increases every turn, that takes my vote. Doesnt happen every time, but youve gotta kill that one goon first and fast.