Relieve the Iso Crunch

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
OK so having a pool of current 4* is a thing....which we have to get used to..for now.

The issue (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here) is that now the Iso screw has been turned up. Covered that new 4*? Great! Now rush out and hammer every game mode in order to collect the iso needed to champ. What? in an attempt to pull covers for another of the current crop you accidentally pulled your 14th for a second one? Drat now you need more iso.

Hmmm should I stop pulling until I've champed these two? If I do that I will risk losing champ levels for those characters I'm champing and risk losing progress on those not yet covered.

This is an annoying problem.

Heres a fix : Half the iso cost of all characters in the latest pool. Then put them back to normal when they move out of that pool. No-body cares about them at that point anyway.

This way while they are in and I can earn tons of covers for them I don't have to waste them all because I can't afford to champ yet. I also don't have to hoard resources for no reason other than I am forced to because it will result in wasted resources

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heres a fix : Half the iso cost of all characters in the latest pool. Then put them back to normal when they move out of that pool. No-body cares about them at that point anyway.
    I see no problems whatsoever with this suggestion. I am sure the players will be overjoyed by sudden ISO cost increases for older characters. [/sarcasm]
    I wouldn't mind seeing a general discount for leveling up a fourstar though. But it should be for all characters, not just the newest.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I see no problems whatsoever with this suggestion. I am sure the players will be overjoyed by sudden ISO cost increases for older characters. [/sarcasm]
    I wouldn't mind seeing a general discount for leveling up a fourstar though. But it should be for all characters, not just the newest.

Lets be honest the devs don't want us levelling older characters or they wouldn't be largely unavailable looking through the lens provided I came up with a solution which matches their approach to characters.

Even if they did it, nobody got more expensive some just got cheaper. Glass half full my friend.

Also while we are at it devs... Allow us to choose the colourof our bonus hero as well as the actual hero.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as there is an ISO rebate for everyone who already champed them.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

Lets be honest the devs don't want us levelling older characters or they wouldn't be largely unavailable looking through the lens provided I came up with a solution which matches their approach to characters.

Even if they did it, nobody got more expensive some just got cheaper. Glass half full my friend.

Also while we are at it devs... Allow us to choose the colourof our bonus hero as well as the actual hero.
    IF only some characters are discounted then the effective cost to level them goes up as soon as their time in the sun expires. I stand by my position that discounts should be applied across the board or to no one at all. The older characters are still available from vaults and rewards, so while leveling them may be more difficult now it is far from impossible.
    The ISO cost for leveling a fourstar could be revised though. The cost to max a fourstar is three times that to level a threestar, but the cost to max a fivestar is only 50% more than to level a fourstar. A cost around 250K ISO to max a fourstar would be a lot more reasonable.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    People still have problems obtaining enough ISO? I thought all the advances they have made in this regard have been wonderful and largely eliminated the crunch.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merrick wrote:
    People still have problems obtaining enough ISO? I thought all the advances they have made in this regard have been wonderful and largely eliminated the crunch.

etzhimqnybkh47osiumd.jpg
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merrick wrote:

Honestly, up until the vaulting change I do think that we were getting a decent amount of Iso - if you champ a new 4* every 2-3 weeks , the amount you can get from moderate to intense play (roughly 40K per day,) is enough - you can champ your 4*s as they come along, keep up your 2* farm, and every so often kick some Iso into a 5* without too much trouble.

The thing is, now we're rapidly covering the latest 12 4*s. So instead of getting a new 4* to champ every 2-3 weeks, now it's 3 or 4 all at once, with the rest getting covered very rapidly. You can let the covers burn, but that's very unfortunate, particularly the change we could apply nearly every cover. It's a very different experience and we will have to adapt to it.

Speaking for myself, I hope to achieve a certain level of equilibrium in a month or two - basically I think I'll "catch up," and be able to keep up with new characters as they're introduced. It's going to be tighter, though - I'm pretty sure the prior time frame was slower than 2 weeks...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    The thing is, now we're rapidly covering the latest 12 4*s. So instead of getting a new 4* to champ every 2-3 weeks, now it's 3 or 4 all at once, with the rest getting covered very rapidly. You can let the covers burn, but that's very unfortunate, particularly the change we could apply nearly every cover. It's a very different experience and we will have to adapt to it.

Speaking for myself, I hope to achieve a certain level of equilibrium in a month or two - basically I think I'll "catch up," and be able to keep up with new characters as they're introduced. It's going to be tighter, though - I'm pretty sure the prior time frame was slower than 2 weeks...

Letting covers burn, for me, isn't a huge deal because it's not like I wasn't burning covers in the old system. Instead of Drax, Miles, etc, I'm burning newer characters like AVenom or Riri. Advantage now is I often have the duplicates to burn, so at least I'm getting the bonus iso from it (and in the case of Wasp, the HP as well)

I agree on the second half, after time I expect to be iso positive, gaining more than I need to keep up with the releases. What happens now though is the (self-inflicted) pressure to max all of the 4s has gone by the wayside. Now there is only pressure to max the newest characters, and that should be easy enough after a while, and cover waste should basically go away. Only the 1-off rewards from PvP Progression for older characters are really at risk, and that's hardly a long term problem (not to mention easily avoidable by just dropping down to CL6 when those rewards are there)
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Make double iso the new standard. Easy fix.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the loudest voices for pro-vaulting suddenly has an ISO crunch? Huh.

You know what really helped me when I had ISO issues? Having a giant amount of characters from which to pull, so say....twelve....didn't all get covered at once.

I bet having two DIFFERENT options while pulling would also help tremendously.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    OK so having a pool of current 4* is a thing....which we have to get used to..for now.

The issue (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here) is that now the Iso screw has been turned up. Covered that new 4*? Great! Now rush out and hammer every game mode in order to collect the iso needed to champ. What? in an attempt to pull covers for another of the current crop you accidentally pulled your 14th for a second one? Drat now you need more iso.

Hmmm should I stop pulling until I've champed these two? If I do that I will risk losing champ levels for those characters I'm champing and risk losing progress on those not yet covered.

This is an annoying problem.
    But this problem ends after 12 characters, compared to 43 under the old system. Your ISO needs are drastically lower now.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    The solution is simple - don't open Legendary tokens if you already have 4*s to champ. Champ first, then open, champ again, then open. It's simple.
  • jgomes32
    bbigler wrote:
    The solution is simple - don't open Legendary tokens if you already have 4*s to champ. Champ first, then open, champ again, then open. It's simple.

Not really. It may look like a "simple fix" but if you're t10 or t5 hybrid player you'll still get more covers than iso to champ everything in time. The 'fun" of choosing turn into frustration rather quickly. Iso is a problem.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    jgomes32 wrote:
    Make double iso the new standard. Easy fix.

or at the very least, more than one double iso event per year. let's have one per month.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    jgomes32 wrote:
    bbigler wrote:

Not really. It may look like a "simple fix" but if you're t10 or t5 hybrid player you'll still get more covers than iso to champ everything in time. The 'fun" of choosing turn into frustration rather quickly. Iso is a problem.

This is also an easy fix: stop competing for resources you can't use.
  • jgomes32
    edited March 2017
    jgomes32 wrote:
    bbigler wrote:

This is also an easy fix: stop competing for resources you can't use.

I'm competing mainly for iso, not covers (for example Falcon's). I have to play for iso or will loose covers in queue, but if i play i can't use the covers from T10-5 placement anyway (sometimes). It's a paradox really. Take a day off and that's 35-40k worth of iso....
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lets be honest the devs don't want us levelling older characters

And yet they're still required for essentials that are affected by scaling.

Cool game design.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:

Except, stop opening until you get Iso only worked under the old system.

Now there's only a limited time of to get characters before they enter the vault graveyard. Stop opening and risk losing out. For example I've got, what? 2 weeks to champ Peggy?
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I'd stop complaining. There "solution" to the 4* cover dilution was abysmal so I really wouldnt risk getting them to come up with a "solution" for the iso problem.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    May I suggest and alternative option to the OP idea? Half the ISO cost to level the vaulted heros. That way you keep them relevant as people will want to get the covers (via bonus hero... hahahaha.... at 5% chance hahahaha; or from vaults/progression/placement). You can lower the cost of the ones that rotate out after a month (or 2 weeks or 3 weeks) from rotation to avoid people stockpiling the covers to get them to max for half price as soon as they rotate out.