**** Iron Fist (Danny Rand) ****

Options

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did the question about the inconsistent text for his blue get answered yet?

Does his blue at 5 covers only require 2 strike tiles to fortify and generate green?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Does his blue at 5 covers only require 2 strike tiles to fortify and generate green?

Chi Focus rank 5 requires 2 Strike tiles, fortifies 3, and generates 4 AP
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

Chi Focus rank 5 requires 2 Strike tiles, fortifies 3, and generates 4 AP

Makes things much easier
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    The way I'm seeing Danny is that unless you pair with a good and cheap protect producer (who also isn't there justfor protects) then his black is an expensive and not that great nuke. His first 2 abilities synergise nicely (if you have a good strike producer to get him going quickly) so for me I'd put him at 553 since his only decent cheap protect partners are cage (who relies on quick enemies to get some protects out) or falcap (who is not an efficient use of his other active colour - red) in 4* land. During pve cage/fist will be an excellent pair but these two will very rarely (if ever) do well as a pair in pvp and its hard to see Danny pair with anyone else and be effective in PVP right now.

You could maybe team him with oml to get better use out of his blue and green but his blue has very little utility without cage to take advantage of it. Plus if youre running oml then youre likely closer to a 5* roster than 4* in which case danny is close to useless.

EDIT: a 535 Danny might pair well with OML
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I realize the good artist(s) at Demiurge were only working with what Marvel, Netflix, Scott Buck and Finn Jones' personal trainer gave them, but good Lord this guy is goofy looking.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So it does seem like the blue secondary condition activates AFTER the strike tile is put out, which means you can get it to work if you only have one strike tile out when you cast it at 5 covers. That does make it slightly easier to activate than had the alternative been the case (needing two strikes out before casting blue). This also makes using him with Nova more practical.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    So it does seem like the blue secondary condition activates AFTER the strike tile is put out, which means you can get it to work if you only have one strike tile out when you cast it at 5 covers. That does make it slightly easier to activate than had the alternative been the case (needing two strikes out before casting blue). This also makes using him with Nova more practical.

You know I've been using him a bunch and I never noticed that. Makes him faster than initially thought.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After watching the series, I'll be referring to this character as 'Emo Ninja' rather than 'Hobo Fist'.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    mexus said:
    How good is he?
    Like bottom, low, mid, high or cosmic tier?

I mean, his strong attack converts friendly attack tiles, that's not attractive. However, it's a good punch. Still debating whether or not I should feed him ISO candies.
    You'd rather have Protect tiles over Strike tiles? Really?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    How good is he?
    Like bottom, low, mid, high or cosmic tier?

I mean, his strong attack converts friendly attack tiles, that's not attractive. However, it's a good punch. Still debating whether or not I should feed him ISO candies.
    I'm not sure about which tier exactly he is. But I tried him out with 4* Cage and Prof X, and that is a super fun team.

- Luke and Danny synergise off each other
    - Danny's cheap blue triggers Prof X's yellow
    - Luke provides free protects whenever the opponent uses a move
    - Get Prof X invisible and start buffing all your friendly tiles
    - Once you get 12 Black AP, Danny convert all your protect tiles into strikes + huge damage
    - Luke fortifies up to three of your tiles with his yellow. Likewise for Danny's blue, if you have enough strike tiles
    - Perfect active rainbow coverage

Seriously, just go crazy with these three. I'd go 3/5/5 Prof X and 5/3/5 Danny. Luke can toggle between 5/5/3 and 5/3/5
  • Gregore
    Gregore Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Seems like R&G Vol 2 would help a lot with this guy.  7 strike tiles on the first move.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think because Chi Focus will start fortifying strike tiles from the first cast, as it will meet the 'if 3 strikes on the board' requirement
  • DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So, even though he's not boosted in BFF along with C4ge, I'm enjoying pairing them together at the moment.  Many other people are running C4ge, so having an attack that Ignores Protect tiles is actually pretty helpful.

If I could make a change, I would actually change the Green Cage-paring criteria to be a Passive for All Attacks by Iron Fist, including Match damage. (i.e. "If Luke Cage is an Ally, all Protect tiles are Ignored by Danny Rand.")   Too powerful?
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I climbed very quickly in the Punisher PvP with Bum Fist and Cage, and for the first time in many weeks, I didn't feel a wave of nausea and sadness that I had champed ol' Bummie! Punisher would throw out strike tiles from his green, Bum (at 5/3/5) would use blue to add one of his own and fortify three, and Cage would drop the hammer with his yellow, doing as much as 40K damage for 8 yellow AP (Cage was boosted in this event). Bum's black is a decent nuke, and is very useful when Cage has protect tiles littered around everywhere. They also go pretty well with 4* Blade. Danny seems to be an extremely niche character, but he can be useful and fun to use in the right circumstance. I'm eager to true him out when he's boosted.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At the risk of getting a warning for, I don't know, lowering the tone or something, can we maybe not call him Bum Fist?

Let's just say that in the UK, that has a really, really, different meaning.

Anyway. I still haven't used him in anger. I took him up to level 180 today, though so I may get around to it while Cage is boosted.

• Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    granne said:
    At the risk of getting a warning for, I don't know, lowering the tone or something, can we maybe not call him Bum Fist?

Anyway. I still haven't used him in anger. I took him up to level 180 today, though so I may get around to it while Cage is boosted.

Someone suggested "Hobo Fist," but the B key is awfully close to the M key and then you have the same problem again.

He plays like a lower (for 4*) damage version of 2*/3* Thor without the extra health and cascade potential. His powers theoretically build up to the next one, but since he needs either 18 AP or someone else to make tiles to start off his AP generation, he is way too slow.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    granne said:

Someone suggested "Hobo Fist," but the B key is awfully close to the M key and then you have the same problem again.

He plays like a lower (for 4*) damage version of 2*/3* Thor without the extra health and cascade potential. His powers theoretically build up to the next one, but since he needs either 18 AP or someone else to make tiles to start off his AP generation, he is way too slow.
    Only 12; the second activation of Blue will fulfill the 2 Strike tile requirement at rank 5 (the stat sheet here is incorrect)
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I keep forgetting about the required tile reduction. I sold off my IF to make room for C&D because they looked super fun. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think it's more of a typo than an actual change. Also I'm not sure it's fair to call him a low damage version of Thor since A) Thor doesn't really do ludicrous amounts of damage and B ) Like Unto Iron does huge damage

Also, Iron Fist has synergy potential with any character that creates Strike or Protect tiles (Rocket & Groot seems reasonable, for example), and his powers just flat out generate AP, so there's no risk that a bad board will mean no AP. I mean, obviously the AP gain is conditional, but it's not random. You'll know ahead of time whether or not you'll be getting the 4 AP.

Thor, meanwhile, doesn't really have much synergy except with other characters who also make Green tiles, but pretty much all of them also have green team damage powers (Black Widow, Kamala Khan, Star-lord, Ragnarok), so you're more or less losing out on an entire power to get that 'synergy'. Sure, there's Iron Man... but that's more about Iron Man than Thor.

• jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    About to finish Coulson and start woriking on Fist. Looks like a clear 3/5/5 to me and most people here. Now that some time has passed and people had time to play more with him is 3/5/5 still the way to go?