Puzzle Quest 10 Year Anniversary!

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
On this day (March 20, 2007), Puzzle Quest was first introduced to the world with the launch of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords on Nintendo DS and Sony PSP by D3Publisher (developed by Infinite Interactive). With this launch, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords became the original match-3 RPG™ and with its innovative gameplay and fanfare, the game went on to win numerous awards, including Best Downloadable Game at the Interactive Achievement Awards. For many, the battle to acquire a copy at launch was a challenge due to the popularity and limited quantity but the game finally became available everywhere in both stores and digital release.

PuzzleQuest10YearAnniversary-Small.png

Since the launch of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, where players became victorious in their battle to save the Kingdom of Etheria from the evil Lord Bane, new iterations have launched on PC, consoles and handheld devices including, Puzzle Quest Revenge of the Plague Lord, Puzzle Quest Galactrix, and Puzzle Quest 2.

In 2013, Marvel Puzzle Quest was released and has amassed millions of downloads, more than 100 characters from the Marvel Universe, and rose up the App Store and Google Play charts. As of early March 2017, Marvel Puzzle Quest has grossed more than 100 million dollars in sales. Since the launch of Marvel Puzzle Quest, both Adventure Time Puzzle Quest and Magic: The Gathering – Puzzle Quest have been released on the App Store and Google Play delighting fans with fun and imaginative gameplay.

In honor of the 10-Year Anniversary, the following special offers are available for a limited time:

- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is now 75% off on Steam and the PlayStation Store (only in North America and select countries in South America where available) until March 27.
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords will also be on sale starting tomorrow (March 21) at 75% off at the Xbox Games Store until March 27.
- Marvel Puzzle Quest features a 30% bonus on all hero points and iso-8 purchase starting today until March 27.
- Magic: The Gathering – Puzzle Quest will provide all players with 100 free Mana Crystals that log into the game today, and there is a special sale that provides players 2 free Super Packs (sale ends March 26).

Thank you!

Comments

• Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 433 Mover and Shaker
    Galactrix was really good and was my entry point for MPQ.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've owned every puzzle quest game, including, at one point, copies of CotW on multiple platforms. I'm a little bit addicted, yes.
  • Bondidude
    Bondidude Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    I just made a buy this weekend (Friday) this is the second time I've made a purchase and then had a sale happen within 48-72 hours afterwards when CS will only give you the difference if it's within 24 hours.

Any chance of them revisiting this policy or should I just stop buying until a sale seemingly random happens?
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    MPQ has made 100M? You'd think they could hire another person or two to fix all the bugs. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Thanos wrote:
    MPQ has made 100M? You'd think they could hire another person or two to fix all the bugs. icon_rolleyes.gif

Or someone to test the releases to prevent them from going out in the first place.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    deadtaco wrote:
    Thanos wrote:

Or someone to test the releases to prevent them from going out in the first place.

If they're grossing 30+ million a year on this game, then they should be able to hire several hundred people to maintain, develop, test and debug it......unless the executives pay themselves a couple million each year.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    bbigler wrote:
    If they're grossing 30+ million a year on this game, then they should be able to hire several hundred people to maintain, develop, test and debug it......unless the executives pay themselves a couple million each year.

That number blows me away. Obviously they have to pay for the license, but that's a lot of revenue. I can't get into details, but that's significantly more than the company I work for draws in revenue, and we have a team of developers, an accounting department, marketing, QA, management and 24/7 in-house customer service.

Do we release things with bugs? Absolutely. Our business is quite a bit more complicated than this game, and when we make major changes it affects a lot of other parts of the environment. I can't imagine releasing this many bugs, this often, and still pulling in 30m a year. If it was a tenth of that I'd still be surprised.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    bbigler wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:
    Thanos wrote:

That is what executives do. Less work than the regular staff but make much more money.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Do y'all want to get banned, talking about stuff like this? lol
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    "Marvel Puzzle Quest has grossed more than 100 million dollars in sales"

Look forward to receiving a celebratory standard token from the devs
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks at feedback from MtGPQ players: "Oh wow! It's been 10-years already! Congrats!"

Looks at feedback from MPQ players: "Those greedy executives better start hiring people!"

icon_lol.gif
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Do y'all want to get banned, talking about stuff like this? lol
    That'd look worse on the the puzzle quest team then the players to be honest.

You've already got their money let em talk.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks at feedback from MtGPQ players: "Oh wow! It's been 10-years already! Congrats!"

Looks at feedback from MPQ players: "Those greedy executives better start hiring people!"

icon_lol.gif
    That's only because all skeptic MtGPQ players quit recently over the whole new currency and IAP structures. icon_lol.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic: The Gathering – Puzzle Quest will provide all players with 100 free Mana Crystals that log into the game today, and there is a special sale that provides players 2 free Super Packs (sale ends March 26).

Wow....free stuff....imagine what that would be like!

How about celebrating with double ISO for a week?

Time to go pop in my CD-rom versions of both the original games.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Happy Anniversary PQ! 10 years is a great milestone. Congrats!

The HP Promotion for MPQ is wonderful! Normally during such an HP promotion, I would purchase a Stark, showing my support of the game while taking advantage of the extra rewards.

However, due to the recent character vaulting, I feel the Return on Investment on the effort I put into champing so many characters (35x 4* and all the 3*), has been stymied, and I'm not happy with MPQ. Reasoning has been greatly discussed in other more appropriate threads, so I won't go into it here. Just wanted the bean counters to know that their decisions have consequences.

I look forward to the response MPQ has been discussing on the topic, and will decide my future game support based on that and any resulting changes made to the game.

icon_neutral.gif
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    IlDuderino wrote:

Look forward to receiving a celebratory standard token from the devs

Yeah but there's a 1000/1 chance that will be a 3* that gives you a BH!!!!
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    10 year anniversary so please give us more money? Really? You can't celebrate with giving players something? You have to get real money (WHAT - 100M in 3 years?)? Greed!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't forget the game grossed 100m that's before taxes and costs. The license is a significant part of that cost.

I'm just happy The game is healthy and I wish the devs even more success. This so to date the only mobile game I've played for longer than 3 weeks.

Congrats puzzle quest team
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Member when Puzzle Quest meant puzzles and questing?

berries.JPG
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Magic: The Gathering – Puzzle Quest will provide all players with 100 free Mana Crystals that log into the game today, and there is a special sale that provides players 2 free Super Packs (sale ends March 26).

Wow....free stuff....imagine what that would be like!

How about celebrating with double ISO for a week?

Time to go pop in my CD-rom versions of both the original games.
    Perhaps ISO could be annually adjusted for inflation. More characters added = more ISO needed. Small adjustments could be made. Up 70 ISO rewards to 100. Target other odd numbers up to multiples of 50. Larger numbers (250, 500) could be more stable for a longer period of time.