Understanding shields

supbullcoc
supbullcoc Posts: 77 Match Maker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
been playing this game for over 3 years now, and i think ive got a pretty good idea of this entire game, except one

SHIELDS

I normally put a shield up when i am done with the contest and dont plan on playing anymore, and i get what i get as far as placement. But what baffles me is that when you dont have a shield up you can get attacked 3 or more time in the matter of you finishing a round. But when you have a 24 hour shield up you get attacked what, 4 times total?

On sharp dressed man i was in 2nd place with a 984 point score in level 8 with 14 hours to go. my goal was to stay top 5 to get 2 lady thor covers. I put up 300 coin for a 24 hour shield, felt good. as the day goes on i barely got attacked, but did win 2 of those matches for a whopping 6 more points. about an hour left in the event, ive dropped to 7th, 15 points behind 5th place. so i find a good matchup that would have gotten me 31 points, put me in 4th, and then Id shield back up and be happy.

Well that didnt happen, i beat my match is quick fashion, and my 31 points that i was suppose to get was only 5, ****. So i rushed into another match to get the points i needed, beat that one quickly, and as i came out of that match I had lost 176 points to 5 different people.

Needless to say I was pissed, dejected, and frustrated, and shielded again to settle for top 25, not bad but not my goal.

So i guess what I dont understand is, you cant see when someone has a shield correct? and it doesnt really matter because they are just you vs that persons roster being played by the AI, why do you not get attacked more when a shield is up and and as soon as it goes down you get destroyed without even knowing?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shields remove you from the player pool.
    So you'll have a few bounces from players who queued you before you shielded, and nothing after that for the whole duration of your shield.

Once your shield drops, everyone can see you again.

Never, ever try to make up points on the fly on a hop.

Get 3 good, reliable 50+ targets in your nodes, do those 3, shield again.
    If you get hit after the first match, SHIELD UP.
    Chances are good you'll come out to -150 after the second match.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was your 31 point target a revenge (red)? I've found those numbers to be horribly unreliable and always skip to a fresh yellow number.
  • supbullcoc
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Shields remove you from the player pool.
    So you'll have a few bounces from players who queued you before you shielded, and nothing after that for the whole duration of your shield.

Once your shield drops, everyone can see you again.

Never, ever try to make up points on the fly on a hop.

Get 3 good, reliable 50+ targets in your nodes, do those 3, shield again.
    If you get hit after the first match, SHIELD UP.
    Chances are good you'll come out to -150 after the second match.

that makes sense, i just never understood how all that was going down. ive been successful at getting one match in before, and if i was going to get the score that i thought i was getting then it wouldnt have been an issue since i finished that match before getting attacked
  • supbullcoc
    broll wrote:
    Was your 31 point target a revenge (red)? I've found those numbers to be horribly unreliable and always skip to a fresh yellow number.

i try to never re-attack someone that attacked me. i normally skip to fresh yellow target
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Always skip (at least 5 times) to a fresh yellow and then hit it right away. If you wait then the chances go up that they've lost points since you queued them and are worth less.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    To explain the Points discrepancy a bit closer, the displayed score in the node is based on your opponent's score when they entered your queue, but the Points you actually get is based on their score when you defeat them. If their score has gone down dramatically since you queued them up (quite possible on a 24 hour shield), you will get less than advertised.
    It is also quite possible to get more than advertised, you just need to be aware of how the system works.
  • _M4ru_
    _M4ru_ Posts: 91 Match Maker
    supbullcoc wrote:
    been playing this game for over 3 years now...

... i was in 2nd place with a 984 point score in level 8 with 14 hours to go... I put up 300 coin for a 24 hour shield...
    ... so i find a good matchup that would have gotten me 31 points...
    ... and my 31 points that i was suppose to get was only 5, ****.

You really, really, REALLY should consider changing the alliance you're currently in. Friends wouldn't let friends do all these mistakes.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Always skip (at least 5 times) to a fresh yellow and then hit it right away. If you wait then the chances go up that they've lost points since you queued them and are worth less.

Off season, quite a lot of people hit progression and then drop which may explain why your match was only worth 5.

If you're hitting someone for less than 38 points, they have less points than you and you shouldn't hit them. You only encourage retaliations that way.

If you're going to Q someone, you can try to pay attention to people who typically score highly in events or are in top 20 alliances. You can actually check their scores on the alliance leaderboards. Jamie for example is always good for some points icon_lol.gif
  • supbullcoc
    _M4ru_ wrote:
    supbullcoc wrote:
    been playing this game for over 3 years now...

... i was in 2nd place with a 984 point score in level 8 with 14 hours to go... I put up 300 coin for a 24 hour shield...
    ... so i find a good matchup that would have gotten me 31 points...
    ... and my 31 points that i was suppose to get was only 5, ****.

You really, really, REALLY should consider changing the alliance you're currently in. Friends wouldn't let friends do all these mistakes.

ha im the leader in the alliance, so i guess that says alot about myself
  • supbullcoc
    kidicarus wrote:

Off season, quite a lot of people hit progression and then drop which may explain why your match was only worth 5.

If you're hitting someone for less than 38 points, they have less points than you and you shouldn't hit them. You only encourage retaliations that way.

If you're going to Q someone, you can try to pay attention to people who typically score highly in events or are in top 20 alliances. You can actually check their scores on the alliance leaderboards. Jamie for example is always good for some points icon_lol.gif

hence lies another problem, you can skip and skip and skip and it just cycles the same 3 or 4 matchups at less then 30 points
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    supbullcoc wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:

hence lies another problem, you can skip and skip and skip and it just cycles the same 3 or 4 matchups at less then 30 points
    But if you keep skipping you will at least know the scores are reasonably accurate (hopefully). And sometimes someone Worth more Points pops up, causing everyone to attack them...
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you don't have at least one, preferably 2 Epic Champions, don't bother to go for top 5. That's my take on it. I've touched that zone before during a climb, but by the end, top 5 are almost invariably people with Epic Champions in the roster.
    And yeah, end of event is not the time to make multiple attacks. Several people will be active, and the more points you have, the more likely you will show up when they finish their current mission.
    (Sucks so much that the people that actually need roster progress are the ones that don't have enough roster to make progress).
  • supbullcoc
    zodiac339 wrote:
    (Sucks so much that the people that actually need roster progress are the ones that don't have enough roster to make progress).

very accurate
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    zodiac339 wrote:
    If you don't have at least one, preferably 2 Epic Champions, don't bother to go for top 5. That's my take on it. I've touched that zone before during a climb, but by the end, top 5 are almost invariably people with Epic Champions in the roster.
    And yeah, end of event is not the time to make multiple attacks. Several people will be active, and the more points you have, the more likely you will show up when they finish their current mission.

Depends on your slice. S4, definitely no shot at top 5 unless you have a 5 star roster already. Maybe less competitive in other slices? Fingers x-ed this will be alleviated when they open clearance level 9&10. If they ever do!!
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Yeah it doesn't make sense at all. The system is so broken. If you fight a battle, I think it's only fair you are defending one battle. Why does the AI get to defend for you for multiple battles Simultaneously?

To be in top 5 (which I have landed once due to luck joining last minute and using all of my deadpool points), you basically have to monitor all day to see if you can keep hoping (by scrolling through the queues at least once or twice in a day to see if a juicy one comes up. otherwise someone may overtake you).

Also don't forget that lots of people play with friends and communicate outside of the game and in my opinion exploit the game this way, and that's why they can take your spot so easily. Some people will say that they can do it without help from friends, but that is just one player compared to many many players that cooperate with each other. Yes it is doable without help from friends but it is so much easier to do it with help from others, it just makes no sense why you would go at it alone. To be honest this part is the most broken part of the game. Outside help. Just take names out so it's harder to figure who you are attacking or who you are looking for.

Disclaimer: I quit playing this broken game a month ago. Came back to check if any of the problems got fixed. Nope nothing at all.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    One exception to the not-hitting-retaliation-nodes rule - I'll keep one if it's a player I recognize as a top-of-the-leaderboard regular in my slice. They're always ultra-champed 5* teams so I have to use a Whales teamup, but they're the only 72-point wins I've gotten above 800 since they got rid of cupcakes.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    As others said, people can only queue you while you're unshielded, so your experience is expected. If you have a high score, it's normal to take a few hits after you shield from people who queued you earlier.

On the apparent high point target that gave you 5 points, it's because they were worth 30+ points when you queued them, then they dropped a lot. The system queue's up 5-6 people for you, but only shows you the first 3. In order to make sure the points shown aren't from hours ago, you need to skip 5-6 times.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once you drop your shield, you are visible to people trying to queue new targets, so the time you have for your hop depends on several factors:

How long it will take for someone to chew through your team - this in turn will depend on whether or not you're past the magic point where anyone can queue you. If you're not, only someone one "level" up can (4*s if you're a 3* player, 5*s if you're a 4* player, etc.)
    How "hot" the slice is when you hop - closer to the end people get more desperate. They also tend to boost more, so will chew through your team quickly.

As a rule of thumb (and this will vary depending on above,) one hit is generally pretty safe unless you get bogged down in a long fight. Anything past that is risky. Speed is of the absolute essence when hopping - everything else is secondary. With a fast enough team you can do two, maybe three fights with boosts, but that will depend on the two factors above.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:

Also don't forget that lots of people play with friends and communicate outside of the game and in my opinion exploit the game this way, and that's why they can take your spot so easily. Some people will say that they can do it without help from friends, but that is just one player compared to many many players that cooperate with each other. Yes it is doable without help from friends but it is so much easier to do it with help from others, it just makes no sense why you would go at it alone. To be honest this part is the most broken part of the game. Outside help. Just take names out so it's harder to figure who you are attacking or who you are looking for.

It's indeed good that you quit, because it's clear you don't understand how pvp works. Yes, it is possible to get progression without cooperating with friends. But the only reason it is possible is because those people leech of the people that do. It's practically impossible for getting progression UNLESS people are cooperating, hitting shielded people and raising the overall score of the slice. Else you would have to hit 1 point matches over and over for hours without getting hit just to move from 900 to 1200.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Daiches wrote:
    dsds wrote:

It's indeed good that you quit, because it's clear you don't understand how pvp works. Yes, it is possible to get progression without cooperating with friends. But the only reason it is possible is because those people leech of the people that do. It's practically impossible for getting progression UNLESS people are cooperating, hitting shielded people and raising the overall score of the slice. Else you would have to hit 1 point matches over and over for hours without getting hit just to move from 900 to 1200.

We don't need negative comments. Please refrain from that. As you can see, my posts has many points, when you match them up, you will see the big picture. You see, outside cooperation has made a band aid fix which doesn't expose the real problem to the developers. If you all stopped cooperating and the points fell, and active players fell, they would fix the underlying root problem. It is the people cooperating that allowed this root problem to continue for so long. How can two wrongs be right? The problem of multiple attacks during one fight is simply broken. You cooperating outside is not what the developers want. Thus why cupcakes were gone. Can't you guys see that?

Why come up with some crazy cooperation method to deal with a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Then when they patch it so you can't, you think of other outside solutions to exploit the system again. Also in cooperation, you are limited to what you can do for instance, you can't attack certain people when unshielded, you play only when the big points people play. There are so many rules to this outside cooperation which the average user has no knowledge of. Do you not see how unfair this is?

From when you should play to, how to play the game. Every posts where people have trouble, this is your solution. Play at this time, don't play at this time, do this and do that. As if everyone has no life, and play solely MPQ. It's a mobile game, why so many unspoken rules. Why can't I play when I want to, and progress depending on how much effort I put it, not how much outside information I have. I am also glad I stopped playing, the addiction and commitment to the game was unhealthy. The unfairness was too much to accept.

Also these rules is what causes people not cooperating outside of the game to be attacked so much. You give points, but also take points back to get to the top. All the people cooperating benefited way more and took back the points. Try to be just an mpq player and try to progress pass 500 points without cooperation, it is so difficult. The average float point has gone down. So how does that support your opinion on outside cooperation pumping more points into brackets when clearly you guys are the ones benefiting from it the most, with very very little trickle down effect.