Please DON'T nerf Electrostatic Pummeler

Options
GrizzoMtGPQ
GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Overload 2 is not that easy to get consistently. Those bozos that taunted you with pictures of 1 billion damage power were just pushing the limits for fun. That card is fine the way it is.

DO NOT NERF IT! PLEASE. PLEASE?

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with this completely. N2 is my current favorite PW and I've gotten him over 100 only a handful of times. Usually he just gets reinforced once or twice on a turn.

The problem that is creating insanity is GAH and that is getting nerfed.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    If they nerf this card, it's going to be on the shelf.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well here is a reason to nerf him, at least so his power doesn't go into the billions. I'd really like to see a proper raid style coalition evcent at some point.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Well here is a reason to nerf him, at least so his power doesn't go into the billions. I'd really like to see a proper raid style coalition evcent at some point.

GAH is what does that though.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    On second thought, it might not be going to the shelf.

- Electrostatic Pummeler: The card has been redesigned. Its previous Overload 2 ability has been removed and replaced with this ability:
    “Overload 1: This creature gains +X/0 until the end of your turn, where X is the amount of Energized gems on the board, then remove 5 Energy from the board”.

It can still pack quite a punch if you can do a few cascades.
    It can also serve as a board energy controller. So use this card to counter energy decks. He's a real energy sucker.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Astralwind wrote:
    On second thought, it might not be going to the shelf.

- Electrostatic Pummeler: The card has been redesigned. Its previous Overload 2 ability has been removed and replaced with this ability:
    “Overload 1: This creature gains +X/0 until the end of your turn, where X is the amount of Energized gems on the board, then remove 5 Energy from the board”.

It can still pack quite a punch if you can do a few cascades.
    It can also serve as a board energy controller. So use this card to counter energy decks. He's a real energy sucker.

That's the point of the change. His initial design scaled far too well, and he could still rather easily reach 1000+ damage. The way it is now, it'll still be able to reach high amounts of damage, but it's a lot more restricted, PLUS he also works great to remove energy from the board, which is useful in it's own right when facing Planeswalkers such a Dovin Baan and Nissa Vital Force.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll be happy to use Electrostatic Pummeler's new form against Tezz/Planar Bridge, but once those events start gathering dust, so will EP.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    Options
    Allowing green to remove energy goes against your stated design for the paper rock scissors interaction of N2, DB, and C2. This makes no sense on multiple levels. GAH was the problem. You can still get into the thousands of damage with a proper green loop but you already admit that 400+ damage within 7 turns is part of the design consideration. If you nerf electrostatic you make it so that only Baral can do this. That's pay to win and it's not fair. Let this rare be good. No one will play it once you do this. Great job making a good card into yet another shelved, useless one.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Allowing green to remove energy goes against your stated design for the paper rock scissors interaction of N2, DB, and C2. This makes no sense on multiple levels. GAH was the problem. You can still get into the thousands of damage with a proper green loop but you already admit that 400+ damage within 7 turns is part of the design consideration. If you nerf electrostatic you make it so that only Baral can do this. That's pay to win and it's not fair. Let this rare be good. No one will play it once you do this. Great job making a good card into yet another shelved, useless one.

This is colorless not green.

Its new ability is essentially the same as territorial gorger which is a mythic. I believe it can still pack a punch. Just not as frequently though, thats true.
  • PastrySpider
    PastrySpider Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm a bit unclear on why people think this is such a big deal. With the change to Aether heart, no is going to be able to do the 6+ overloads in one round needed to get Pummeler to big damage levels anyways. Unless you are planning on stacking a bunch of aether hearts in advance or boosting it with Saheeli mastery but even then you are going to really struggle to make it huge in 7 round.

Personally, I kind of like this change. It gives pummeler better damage in a small number of matches (1-2) on well energized boards which is nice for PvP and allows pummeler to work as a anti-energy for PvE events, something badly needed for every color outside black.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah and it should still work decently well with Nissa 2's second ability, provided that you tuned your deck for it. N2's 2nd ability will probably get you a lot of the energy you lose by triggering EP.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    Options
    Having anti-energy colorless goes against what the dev team said was their intention for the paper rock scissors nature of DB, N2, and C2. It is the only card which would do this. That shows it does not fit in correctly.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Having anti-energy colorless goes against what the dev team said was their intention for the paper rock scissors nature of DB, N2, and C2. It is the only card which would do this. That shows it does not fit in correctly.
    That seems like an odd comment to make. Would all the Colourless cards Energizing the board also be disrupting this balance? Just because it would be unique in its effect doesn't mean it should not exist.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The rock paper scissors design didnt work anyway because C2's abilities are a flop and not all that effective.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i like the new change to electro pummeler. gives all colors another card to remove energy from the board. A very good one too at 7mana for a 3/3 body that gets +x/x per every overload 1.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That adversarial nature was for the walkers, not colorless cards.