Not a big deal, but the ddq cp node is awful

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Eddie venom, 3be, and moonstone?! What an awful team. Minimal special tile production (on either team), only 4/6 active colors. And you have a ton of expensive powers against obw and hood?

Just a terribly designed fight. Unless we are supposed to lose. (yes, the last part is hyperbole!)

Edit: my mistake, the team has 5/6 active colors. But black really doesn't count as control shift is almost useless in this fight.

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they said in the podcast that it's the point of this match ups. Team line ups you wouldn't normally use. They can't be that tough my 7 year old does them with my average 4 star line up icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Tony Foot wrote:
    I think they said in the podcast that it's the point of this match ups. Team line ups you wouldn't normally use. They can't be that tough my 7 year old does them with my average 4 star line up icon_e_biggrin.gif

Some teams you shouldnt use because they are ****.

As i said, it's not a big deal. But it is another little indication that they don't always understand their own game.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thankfully, shows that leaving Venom at 170 with his 5/3/5 is no problem. Yellow still wrecks with no issue.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had no problem beating this as I have a champed Bullseye, but Moonstone and Eddie Brock felt like technical requirements versus active teammates.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Huh. I kind of thought it was fine, and all I had was a one-yellow-cover Venom (who I rostered just for this and will probably be selling the next time I need a slot). My Bullseye did do most of the heavy lifting, but he did use Venom's protect tiles to fire off his purple. That's always fun.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Not sure whether this is better or worse than 2* Hawkeye vs. Jean Grey, twice in a row.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Tony Foot wrote:

Some teams you shouldnt use because they are tinykitty.

As i said, it's not a big deal. But it is another little indication that they don't always understand their own game.

If the devs said it's to make you use teams you wouldn't normally use, and your complaint is that nobody would use this team because it's awful, it logically follows that the devs understand exactly what they're doing here.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah Venom is awful, now he is probably the worst 4 (now that wasp at least can be used with Carol), but it is not that bad. The key is bullseye, you need to kill someone with him, then Venom's green gets ultra cheap and you basically win.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    When I play my XBox One, I don't expect to win every time I play a game. Why in the world do so many forumgoers assume every node should be beatable with their rosters? If you have a weak roster, this battle will be difficult. If all three are level-maxed it'll be easy. Isn't that how games should be designed? If it was a hard node for you today...it'll be easier in the future. That's how game's work; time and commitment leads to further advancement.

P.S., if the OP is upset that the three characters chosen for us to play don't match up perfectly on defense against their opponents, how much hand-holding do we expect the devs to do for us?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2017
    The glass half-full outlook is that this is the first team that hasn't worked well together. The prior teams had a lot more synergy than I expected from a 2*, 3*, 4* combo. Overall, they've been good.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    zonatahunt wrote:
    When I play my XBox One, I don't expect to win every time I play a game. Why in the world do so many forumgoers assume every node should be beatable with their rosters? If you have a weak roster, this battle will be difficult.
    The OP has been on the forums since 2014; he/she probably has the roster to easily dispatch this node. I doubt this is about losing the match.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    The team you had to use wasn't that bad actually - Venom yellow into Bullseye purple is a pretty good combo. The problem is that between Hood and OBW it takes three years to get enough AP to actually do anything.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    The team you had to use wasn't that bad actually - Venom yellow into Bullseye purple is a pretty good combo. The problem is that between Hood and OBW it takes three years to get enough AP to actually do anything.

To be fair, either obw or hood has low hp so you will burn one of them down quite quickly and if you are denying purple your bullseye will probably get the killing blow too and then things speed up a lot.
  • Vhailorx
    edited March 2017
    Obviously the fight is winnable with a strong roster.

The problem is the team design, both player and ai teams, is bad.

For offense, the player has the following:

(1) Venom Yellow -- probably the best option, hits hard for 9 ap, but hood will also chase yellow, and will steal if there is too much on the board. 9ap is a reasonably fast power, but 10-12 to overcome hood can take a bit longer.
    (2) Venom Green -- 11 ap is too expensive against ap stealers. If you can get specials out on the board, it's cheap. But getting specials out is not easy with these teams
    (3) 3be purple -- 7ap is nice and cheap, and it hits hard enough to kill against weak opponents like obw and hood. But you absolutely cannot fire this power on its own in this fight. You must first fire venom yellow. so now we are talking about 16ap.
    (4) 3be Green -- 11ap is too pricey against hood and obw, and this isn't worth doing for the damage. Fine if you can set up more matches of a desirable color.
    (4) Moonstone Red -- fine if there is red on the board, but 11ap is too pricey against hood + obw
    (5) Moonstone Purple -- 8ap, and no enemy specials to deal wtih. A decent option, but not enough to kill any of the opponents on its own.

You also have:

(1) Moonstone black (almost entirely useless. you can waste time collecting black ap to steal some weak protect tiles after casting venom yellow.
    (2) 3be black -- a great power IF you can get it to proc. As discussed above, proc'ing it isn't terribly easy in this fight.
    (3) Venom black -- this power is **** generally and has no effect on this matchup.

There are basically two strategies to try in this match:

(1) Try to match damage down OBW and finish her with 3be to proc the black. With all those strikes out the match is effectively over.
    (2) Aim for yellow asap and hope to drop either hood or obw immediately, then chase purple and use 3be to destroy the protect tiles.

And of course, this team doesn't cover blue, so you either have to waste turns collecting it, or watch obw periodically heal away any match damage you have done.

I am sure that venom is underplayed, and I would bet their usage metrics showed that no one ever used a venom 3be combo. But there's a good reason for that. this team works very poorly together. And the problem is compounded by an opposing team that doesn't produce any fuel for 3be's purple or venom's green. imagine how much more fun this match would be if they replaced obw with 2* daken or replace xfw with nova. enemy strikes would be a threat, but they would also make your characters more dangerous. If demi wants to showcase their underutilized characters, this matchup is a bad way to do it.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    If I were to guess, I'd say they were trying to push venom/bullseye as a good combo based on synergy between venom yellow and bullseye purple. Venom yellow fires, creating shields that bullseye purple can eat, thereby removing the negative effect of venom yellow.

Edit: Just noticed Jarvind said the same thing a few posts up. So yeah, what he said. icon_razz.gif
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    venom defeats hood with lethal protector, bullseye nukes the protect tiles, moonstone photon blasts third enemy
    granted i have all 3 cover maxed and at least level 114
  • Andre_Leca_89
    Andre_Leca_89 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    The 2*3*4* node is actually my favorite of DDQ I'm always exited to see how it will go I've had no problems so far my 3* are doing all the work and I'm loving it
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Why would it be so horrible if the devs simply quickly chose three required characters and said "beat this node"?

Does this community really want a developer to spend a half-hour of time choosing the perfect match for us with regards to a single node that rewards two cp?! With all the rants by us wishing they'd prioritize their time, THIS is how we want them to prioritize their time?! My God.

They gave us a node to either beat or Take a loss. The depth at which some of you are picking apart how they should analyze the construction of a match is simply ludicrous.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Yeah Venom is awful, now he is probably the worst 4 (now that wasp at least can be used with Carol), but it is not that bad. The key is bullseye, you need to kill someone with him, then Venom's green gets ultra cheap and you basically win.

Wasp isn't that bad with Cage vs. goons or waves. One solid shield tile conversion and every match is a bomb.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I didn't really notice an issue. I did some match damage at OBW until I had Lethal Protector, which I used to get Hood down to some small number of hits, and killed him with match damage from Bullseye, which spawned a ton of strikes. Fight was trivial from there. The strategy was fun but simple and at no point did I feel like it was inappropriate design. It's not a matchup designed to show off some amazing synergy, just a matchup that requires a bit of sequencing and thought. That seems fine to me.