Classic Legends should have "classic" 4*s

Nepenthe
Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
The bonus & favorites part of the new change is great. The limiting 4*s from tokens to only the latest 12 is not so great. My suggestion:

Latest Legends have the new 12 as the available 4*s.
Classic Legends have all the older 4*s.

This makes the 4*s in LTs operate like the 5*s do, and let's players pick which pool of characters they'd rather pursue.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    First, I agree that this is a great addition, but yeah I really wish getting the older 4*s wasn't just up to favorites. Although, and I may be wrong, isn't the 5% odds of getting a favorite still better odds of then before?
    As a F2P player, even one that's been playing since launch, I'm still working on getting most of the old 4*s, only having 4 championed 4*s.
    I think having different packs that offered the newer half and older half of 4*s would be a good idea.
    That said, my initial thoughts on this change are mostly good. I think they've made things better vs worse, which is always appreciated.
  • drag0n41
    drag0n41 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Nepenthe wrote:
    The bonus & favorites part of the new change is great. The limiting 4*s from tokens to only the latest 12 is not so great. My suggestion:

This makes the 4*s in LTs operate like the 5*s do, and let's players pick which pool of characters they'd rather pursue.

Thoughts?
    How about just 12 random from the 4* not in latest. The list should change each season.

Right now there would be 29 4* in classic which still contributes to the dilution of the odds to get specific covers.
  • Bondidude
    Bondidude Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Nepenthe wrote:

Thoughts?

This is my only real issue with this system. Latest Legends should have been a group of the latest 4*s and 5*s from the start with Classics being everyone else. This change would have been a good time to do that, but instead they decided to go this direction. It's really my only problem with this new system.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2017
    I need covers for all of them. Glad they are punishing me for only being at the 3* level of progression. What a load of misfortune
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    What would be even better would be a "classic" of 12 4* that are selected by you out of the pool not in latest. That keeps the odds the same that it looks like they are trying to do, but allows you to cherry pick the chars that you're interested in.

The problem with limiting the old 30ish missing 4*s is that there is now a big disconnect from your ISO strategy to your CP/token one. My ISO demands are on older better covered toons that I'd like to still have options to pull from a handful that I want to level. Now the vast majority of my covers will come from non-fave pulls into toons that weren't high on my ISO spend list.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they don't fix the ability to get the older 4*s then I will either be quitting or at the very least stop all spending including my VIP since day 1 streak. I'm not gonna pay for getting gut punched...
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nepenthe wrote:

Thoughts?

A better option would be to offer two of each type of token, one with the truncated choice of covers and one with the full set.

An even better option would be to allow us to manually select the 12 we would have a chance of pulling from the token.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Nepenthe wrote:

Thoughts?

A better option would be to offer two of each type of token, one with the truncated choice of covers and one with the full set.

An even better option would be to allow us to manually select the 12 we would have a chance of pulling from the token.

I like. What about tokens with adaptive rates based on your own roster? It would base the pool on all of the characters you personally don't have at 13 yet. Disney Crossy Road has a premium draw option like that.
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Do I like this idea? Sort of.

Latest having only newest 5*s & 4*s with the rest being in Classics makes sense. But to me, the number in each doesn't. 5*s are split 3 to 10 and this would splits the 4*s 12 to 43, soon to be 12 to 45. I would increase the numbers in the Latest a little bit so the splits are more like 1/3rd to 2/3rds, so 4 to 9 & 18 to 37(soon 19 to 38).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thoughts...

I kinda wish I hadn't re-upped VIP this morning, and I might retire at the end of the season.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    DayvBang wrote:
    Thoughts...

I kinda wish I hadn't re-upped VIP this morning, and I might retire at the end of the season.

How did you pay? If you payed through google play contact them and they will definitely refund it to you. Don't know about any of the other platforms though.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I made a similar suggestion in the rapidly growing main thread:
    mega ghost wrote:
    By and large I'm happy with this, but would argue that some new option needs to exist that allows for RNG pulls of older 4* characters and vaulted 3* characters. My recommendation:

Make the Latest Legends tokens focus on the 12 new 4* characters (so for 25 CP you have the 85% chance of pulling one of them), and the Classic Legends focus on the the older 4* characters (for 20 CP you can pull any older 4*, but the newest 12 will be excluded from this pack.)

Similarly, offer two Heroic token stores now: there will still only be one Heroic token, but we can opt to pull it from either of the stores, one which has odds for the 12 newest 4* characters and 20 selected 3* characters, and one that has odds for all the rest and that excludes the newer/selected characters in the other Heroic store.

To simplify things, Elite tokens could just focus on the 20 selected 3* characters (which, as I noted in a previous post, I hope is a rotating list.)
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    First, I agree that this is a great addition, but yeah I really wish getting the older 4*s wasn't just up to favorites. Although, and I may be wrong, isn't the 5% odds of getting a favorite still better odds of then before?
    As a F2P player, even one that's been playing since launch, I'm still working on getting most of the old 4*s, only having 4 championed 4*s.
    I think having different packs that offered the newer half and older half of 4*s would be a good idea.
    That said, my initial thoughts on this change are mostly good. I think they've made things better vs worse, which is always appreciated.

Yeah, you're wrong. icon_e_wink.gif
    If you only care about getting covers for one hero, the 5% is an improvement. If I were to go favorite all the older 4*s that I have champed, I'd have to divide that 5% by 30 favorites and get 1/6th of 1%. That's a huge reduction. (Though it is mitigated by the fact that the bonus draw is in addition to the newer 4* you drew in the first place.)

If they'd just implemented the bonus draws without limiting the 3* or 4* pools you could draw from, this would be a wholly positive change and most everyone would be very happy with it.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Thoughts...

Off season and a few days reflection for me but quite a few people in the line rooms I use are also thinking of calling it a day.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    What they really need is a 3/4 star.png token with all characters
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nepenthe wrote:
    If they'd just implemented the bonus draws without limiting the 3* or 4* pools you could draw from, this would be a wholly positive change and most everyone would be very happy with it.

That's what I thought had happened when I first started reading the announcement... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Then I got further down... icon_e_confused.gif

Then I reached the end... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed, change Classic Tokens to contain all older 4*s, and then I'll be 99% happy with this change
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hate the change because I thought it would be this. Cannot believe they didn't leave a (half-decent) way to get the older 4*'s.

Why did I spend my ISO to champ ~30 older 4*'s again?!?!?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Thoughts...

Off season and a few days reflection for me but quite a few people in the line rooms I use are also thinking of calling it a day.

It is crazy really how narrow the margin between a positive change and a quit-worthy one is, without the vaulting part of this change, it would have been a very nice addition that has unfortunately been almost ruined by the vaulting component.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hypothetical future:

* I spend 200 CP every 2 weeks to open 10 Classic Legendary Tokens - 1 of them is the newest 4* in the pool
    * Every 2 weeks or so they introduce another 4* and bump out the oldest 4* in Classics
    * 6 months go by with this pattern and I've collected 13 covers (6/3/4) but can't champ the character
    * Then another 4* is introduced and my original 4* at 5/3/4 leaves the Classic Token pool
    * I eventually get the last cover to champ from an event reward OR vault OR Bonus Hero draw
    * Then I never get another cover again and the character stays at level 270 forever, ignoring the champing system

And this pattern repeats over and over and over, leaving all 4* Champs stuck at level 270 forever (maybe you'll hit level 273 if you're lucky)
    Note: My Bonus Hero draws all go to older 4*s that never got champed before the Classic Token change!

The REAL PROBLEM is that new characters are released every 2 weeks! Slow down D3, we can never catch up!