Heroic mode : roster too limited

Options
2»

Comments

• Playing devils advocate here

If leveling a useless character helps you place in a heroic pve and win new covers, is that character still useless?

In the long-term, yes.

I leveled modern Hawkeye for this event and he likely won't be used again until another event where he's either got a massive boost or is one of the few available characters.

Same deal goes for a lot of people with the current Evil Is Good tournament. There are only 7 available characters and 2 of them, Yelena and Venom, are useless or close to it.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Yeah I'm getting absolutely spanked in this one - I've only really got Torch, MStorm and AS Wolverine at anything like a reasonable level (Psyduck is at 51 but I don't have any black covers) and even the goon fights are knocking me around pretty good icon_e_sad.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    Yeah I'm getting absolutely spanked in this one - I've only really got Torch, MStorm and AS Wolverine at anything like a reasonable level (Psyduck is at 51 but I don't have any black covers) and even the goon fights are knocking me around pretty good icon_e_sad.gif
    That sounds like a good team to me. I'm using a 1/0/0 HT and maxed out IM35 and MStorm. I'm in first with over 17k points.

When I stopped playing yesterday afternoon I was #2. By bed time I was #5. When I woke up this morning I was somewhere in the 150s. It took me about 30 minutes to get back in to the top 10 and another 15 (45min total) to get to #1.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    That sounds like a good team to me. I'm using a 1/0/0 HT and maxed out IM35 and MStorm. I'm in first with over 17k points.

When I stopped playing yesterday afternoon I was #2. By bed time I was #5. When I woke up this morning I was somewhere in the 150s. It took me about 30 minutes to get back in to the top 10 and another 15 (45min total) to get to #1.
    I think it's a fair question to ask whether you think you legitimately should be competing for first place with that roster? Are you at a stage where you really need multiple 3* Steve Rogers or a 4* X-Force? If that is your team, I assume you don't have a lot of 2* or stronger 3* yet.

For many of us who have been playing a while, the game has been a progression. We began with 1*, developed a 2* roster, and then transitioned to 3*. As you do that, you learn the relative strengths and weaknesses of different characters, learn who pairs best with whom, and develop game strategies. It just seems odd to me that scaling is creating a system where people seem to be skipping a lot of the 2* phase.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's a fair question to ask whether you think you legitimately should be competing for first place with that roster?
    No. And to be honest, with all of the late starters in this event I'm now competing to top 10 or top 20. Which I still think is too high really.
    Are you at a stage where you really need multiple 3* Steve Rogers or a 4* X-Force?
    I definately don't need the X-Force, but getting the CASR covers would be a nice start on a new roster.
    If that is your team, I assume you don't have a lot of 2* or stronger 3* yet.
    I don't have many, but I have had more. I've sold off any of the **** ones I've gotten and just kept the better ones. That said, no, I don't have enough covers to make them effective yet, but a 1/1/1 CASR (my alliance will top 100) will be a nice boost to my roster.
    For many of us who have been playing a while, the game has been a progression. We began with 1*, developed a 2* roster, and then transitioned to 3*. As you do that, you learn the relative strengths and weaknesses of different characters, learn who pairs best with whom, and develop game strategies. It just seems odd to me that scaling is creating a system where people seem to be skipping a lot of the 2* phase.
    I doubt I'll get to skip much of that at all actually. The chances of me getting more CASR covers in the near future is low unless they're from another event. I'll still likely have to develop out a 2* roster for a bit anyways.

So overall I don't necessarily think it's "fair", but at the same time I'll take all of the help I can get