Heroic mode : roster too limited

Options
Howdy, I am relatively new to the game, about 6 weeks in? haven't even gotten my 1st doctor doom from the resupply award yet, tomorrow IIRC.

IMO, this current heroic mode event is way too roster limiting. I have a pretty solid roster for a noob, and I don't find it fun to NOT have 90% of the tools I'd normally use at my disposal. I don't mind a few chars here and there being locked out, but I think they went too far with this one, not fun.

yep, I'm bitchin/QQin, whatever, it's my feedback for my idea of fun vs not fun, so there ya go.

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Heroics were meant to be the most challenging PvE content in the game. I'm guessing that a 1* roster can still do okay in normal mode, but you shouldn't expect to do well in hard mode since it was meant to be hard. If you're having trouble in normal mode too, then the devs messed up big time.
  • Droc76
    Droc76 Posts: 56
    Options
    They should at least let us use spiderman since he was used in the prologue.
  • Heroics were meant to be the most challenging PvE content in the game. I'm guessing that a 1* roster can still do okay in normal mode, but you shouldn't expect to do well in hard mode since it was meant to be hard. If you're having trouble in normal mode too, then the devs messed up big time.

Except the game isn't difficult, literally all they are asking is 'do you have these (useless) characters levelled?'. It has nothing to do with how goo you are at matching 3 coloured blocks.
  • Playing devils advocate here

If leveling a useless character helps you place in a heroic pve and win new covers, is that character still useless?
  • Playing devils advocate here

If leveling a useless character helps you place in a heroic pve and win new covers, is that character still useless?

When that character is bagman, yes.
  • One of my coworkers has always had a special love for bagman, he was so happy to find out bags was on the list for the heroic.

I haven't made room myself to collect covers for him, but as much as the forum hates him, he is not completely useless
  • Yes he is. He hits like a wet blanket and his skills are too costly to be useful for PVE purposes. Sure he can maybe helpful for the first round of tiles that come out. Then two turns later a goon drops a tile and you're SOL.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I'm still a big fan of Heroics and limited rosters. For 90% of the events in this game, you generally use the same characters over and over again. I find that limiting rosters adds a little bit more of a challenge and is a totally new experience. Stuff like finding out that MN Mags is a badass is only really emphasized when these things start popping up.
  • I think as opposed to being hard (although it definitely can be that) heroic modes challenges you to use different character combinations and perhaps think of strategies that you wouldn't normally use. With that said, I can understand your frustration OP. Don't give up and if you're a new player, work on the prologue to help you level your characters.
  • Nemek wrote:
    I'm still a big fan of Heroics and limited rosters. For 90% of the events in this game, you generally use the same characters over and over again. I find that limiting rosters adds a little bit more of a challenge and is a totally new experience. Stuff like finding out that MN Mags is a badass is only really emphasized when these things start popping up.

I agree, except to the extent that the limited roster is unplayable which it is when you have scaling past even level 230.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    Yes he is. He hits like a wet blanket and his skills are too costly to be useful for PVE purposes. Sure he can maybe helpful for the first round of tiles that come out. Then two turns later a goon drops a tile and you're SOL.

Yea! Take that HAMMER Goons! Snarky Remark so I can have Modern Hawkeye light you up with his.....Wait a minute, why is Hawkeye's tile at 4 now?!?! (assuming Snarky Remark is still broken of course)

DAMN YOU BAGMAN!!!

I have never done this, but I can definitely see it happening a lot in the next week.
  • For me the biggest issue with the roster that we can use is the lack of variety with the colours...
    characters we have:
    Torch: red / green / black
    mStorm: red / green / black
    psylocke: red / blue / black
    panther: yellow / blue / black
    mHawk: red / blue / "purple"
    IM35: red / yellow / blue
    wolvie: green / red / yellow
    bagman: yellow / blue / purple

yep so to ensure we have full coverage of all the colours we are forced to use Bagman... "joy"
  • And let's not forget that you get tons of team variety in the simulator, too, but you're allowed to use strategy and self determination at the same time. Here, it's just trying to put together the same jigsaw puzzle of a superhero team when several pieces are clearly missing from the box.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    no way I'm keeping Bagman just to have a purple power. At least when purple is a dead colour you don't match it as often and have a higher chance of matching away pesky Pistols and what not.
  • locked wrote:
    no way I'm keeping Bagman just to have a purple power. At least when purple is a dead colour you don't match it as often and have a higher chance of matching away pesky Pistols and what not.

Not mention it keeps you from powering the enemy's Bullsye icon_e_biggrin.gif did the missions with torch, mstorm, and awolvie.. No blue, purple user and no active yellow skill and no matter :p
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If my alliance hadn't placed high enough in the last event to get me a Torch cover I wouldn't have been able to field a team for this event.
  • I have a fully covered lv6 Bagman. Snarky Remark costs 7AP and can target two selected countdown tiles. I've used him on goon missions with Torch tanking yellow for him. This is the only time I've found Bagman to be of use.

Still not putting any ISO in him, though.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I play this game to have fun. Heroic Events are not fun. I think I'm done with them. Why are they not fun?

The current Venom event:

Rosters, first and foremost. How in the hell am I supposed to defeat scaling enemies that reach 200+ level with a roster of characters that includes only three 3* characters (who don't play well together), two 2* characters (I don't recognize the existence of Bagman), and two 1* characters. And by the way, just to stick the knife in, none of them are buffed accept the Human Torch who no one has covers for yet. Iron Man, Storm, Hawkeye, and Bagman are basically useless here without buffs, leaving us with Psylocke, BP, Torch, and Wolverine - and they all have basically the same offensive colors, severely limiting our damage output against ever-increasingly difficult foes. Not fun.

I'm actually fortunate in that I have a maxed BP, lvl 120 Psylocke, maxed Wolvie, and a 1/1/1 Torch. But after a single fight against enemies who have goons generating AP for them (completely eliminating the strategy surrounding match-3 games, btw) my team is decimated. I can fit in one, maybe two fights before I'm done. That's not fun. I just shrug and go do something else. In other words, THE GAME IS CHASING ME AWAY.

I realize these things are supposed to ramp up the difficulty compared to the prologue, but this is insane.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ^ Excuse me, still reading, but what 3 1* chars are allowed? In my lineup, only mStorm and IM 35 are allowed among 1*s.
    Dormammu wrote:
    And by the way, just to stick the knife in, none of them are buffed except the Human Torch who no one has covers for yet.
    But the devs want the players to spend on his covers or something, I am told. I think it works, many people upgrade their Torches.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I made a mistake, I confuse the two Hawkeyes.