1.5% chance to get the *5 level card. where is the fix?

2»

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just coming here to post this same thing.

This is a -HUGE- problem, and every release is making it worse. I've posted several times what the solution is: increase the overall % draw so you have at LEAST 2.5% -PER CHARACTER-.

Best time to ever whale in the game: when there were two (maybe three since SS wasn't great) characters initially - you were able to get one of the better/best 5*'s (OML) and you've been able to crush everyone ever since, as players who were behind at the beginning can basically never catch up since the pool is so diluted now.

I'm "all the way" up to 5/1/5 SS and 4/2/4 OML from those initial ones. Drew a Strange this morning that put him to 1/4/4: almost caught up, from characters released over a year ago!!! I see -so many- combos of Strange/Widow/Bolt/Thanos - introduction of new/good 5*'s along with new whales and/or hoarders has changed the 5* meta for sure. That might be good!

NOT GOOD: your vets are languishing. I had a discussion the other day with some good buyers who commented how their latest had easily bypassed their classics in covers (in part because they cashed in on good characters) - but lamented how now those characters (Bolt and Widow) would languish forever at those levels, rarely if ever getting new covers. It's not just your freemium that gets hurt by this - it's your spenders as well!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:
    i think once you have level 5 cards champed the game becomes much more fun.

battles dont take forever. you could climb in pvp to 900 points in about 30 mins. then to battle for place 1 till 5 another 30 minutes. dont need to worry about not enough points. since you be able now to hit like 99% of the people except champed level 5 cards. now you could play for like 3 hours and barely end up in the top 100.

PVE will be more easy as well again save time. although i dont like PVE much. hitting same node over and over again is boring as hell.

so no at the moment i am saving up all my tokes and stars and when i have 255 something i am going all out and hopefully max 2 level 5 cards and go all out. screw the level 4 cards screw the level 3 cards. i want maximum damage, maximum carnage!!! Thanos style!!! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Based on what many 5* players in my alliance say this is not true. You get forced into fighting and using the same 2 or 3 characters all the time in PVP due to MMR. Fights take longer because 5* are slower and have massive health pools. Your PVE scaling means you're often fighting enemies which do 50k damage per ability and have health pools in the 100k range. Also any and all progress in the game is 100% based on luck.

Dunno about you but that doesn't sound too fun to me...
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    My personal perspective of 5* land is:

a. 2 champed 5* makes you viable against similar 5*. But the exp isnt really fun because your locked into the play style of those two chars for a long long long time.

b. 5 champed 5* makes the game great! The main reason is you finally have the flexibility to diversify your play styles and your better able to handle different types of enemies
  • SnowcaTT
    Phumade wrote:
    My personal perspective of 5* land is:

a. 2 champed 5* makes you viable against similar 5*. But the exp isnt really fun because your locked into the play style of those two chars for a long long long time.

b. 5 champed 5* makes the game great! The main reason is you finally have the flexibility to diversify your play styles and your better able to handle different types of enemies

So same as when game was 3* and 4* oriented at top....lots of fun when you have multiple characters in that tier maxed, so you can change up your game-play.

Except, of course, that 5* is RNG-only....so many will -never- get there. Great.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:
    how on this planet is it even possible for new players to champ old man logan. jean grey, silver surfer etc?

You aren't meant to! You should be working on 2*s & 3*s. 5*s should only start being a concern 2 years down the line.

I'm 3 years down the line. Day 1215 on Daily resupply. Shield rank 92. Average almost 2 pulls a day from latest tokens now. All 3*s champed. 28 4*s champed. Only 8 of the 18 4*s not champed are not max covered. Steady 2* farm. I have 98 5* covers across all 13 5*s. Sold 5 5* covers so far. I still don't have my first champed 5*. Yesterday my 6 cover Black Widow joined the other 9 lost causes in classics.

I want to be able to score more than 900 points before needing to start shield hopping. 1 champed 5* and a bunch of 4*s over or just short of unboosted level 300 i think stillbgived me plenty of options.

You clearly aren't a new player though. The OP is speaking as a new player and the last thing a new player needs is 5*s destroying their scaling and ruining their game.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Right. My response is directed more at your comment to concern ones self with 5*s after 2*s and 3*s are done (and in my case over 60% of 4*s including all those considered top tier). After all that is done my point is that it is still just as impossible for old players as it is for new players to champ old man logan. jean grey, silver surfer etc unless you got lucky. And it's only getting worse.
  • SnowcaTT
    I'm 3 years down the line. Day 1215 on Daily resupply. Shield rank 92. Average almost 2 pulls a day from latest tokens now. All 3*s champed. 28 4*s champed. Only 8 of the 18 4*s not champed are not max covered. Steady 2* farm. I have 98 5* covers across all 13 5*s. Sold 5 5* covers so far. I still don't have my first champed 5*. Yesterday my 6 cover Black Widow joined the other 9 lost causes in classics.

I want to be able to score more than 900 points before needing to start shield hopping. 1 champed 5* and a bunch of 4*s over or just short of unboosted level 300 i think stillbgived me plenty of options.

Totally agree with you Remo - the RNG-only is killing off your vet base. I see them leaving all the time (admittedly - probably the non-payers so D3 doesn't care).

Almost identical situation here - to nearly same day, shield rank, # of 4*'s champed...and 5*'s thrown away. Except I don't throw them away, I dupe them on my roster to hopefully shame D3 (but I did get lucky do champ one 5*. At the cost of having no more than 10 covers in any other one.)

Remo and I have been playing at top-level for almost a year and a half after 5*'s have been introduced....and don't yet have champed 5*'s. Is that really the D3 intention? To essentially force players who have played over two years to not be able to compete/get the next level of characters (read "PROGRESS") for ANOTHER two years? They need to have a more clear path to progression for the vets.

RNG-only is the WORST part of the game, followed closely by colored (instead of colorless) covers that exacerbate the RNG situation.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:
    ...older [5*]s are now near impossible to champ.

If you're fortunate enough to draw one to 444, it's not so bad. But if sitting on a 552, looking at a .5% chance to draw that last cover, that's pretty rough.

But I wouldn't call amassing 720cp "impossible". It just takes patience.

Been posting for a long time about the bleak implications of dilution in classics. We're farther along the path now and still waiting for a sign.

"Where there is no vision, the players perish." Woe be unto the 5* transitioners icon_lol.gif
    I don't think starting a 5* transition now is all that bad if you've been hoarding. even if you haven't, if you've read up on the most efficient way to do it, amassing 300ish pulls on latests gets you there more times than not. if you don't have classics close and with good cover spread, classics isn't the way to go to get to 5* land. looking back, its all the wasted pulls that resulted in the 1-5 cover characters that will rot on my roster forever. make your pulls count. that means hoarding, but if you're interested in efficiency, and you're patient, it can pay off. patience is key.
  • SnowcaTT
    TxMoose wrote:
    8punch wrote:
    ...older [5*]s are now near impossible to champ.

If you're fortunate enough to draw one to 444, it's not so bad. But if sitting on a 552, looking at a .5% chance to draw that last cover, that's pretty rough.

But I wouldn't call amassing 720cp "impossible". It just takes patience.

Been posting for a long time about the bleak implications of dilution in classics. We're farther along the path now and still waiting for a sign.

"Where there is no vision, the players perish." Woe be unto the 5* transitioners icon_lol.gif
    I don't think starting a 5* transition now is all that bad if you've been hoarding. even if you haven't, if you've read up on the most efficient way to do it, amassing 300ish pulls on latests gets you there more times than not. if you don't have classics close and with good cover spread, classics isn't the way to go to get to 5* land. looking back, its all the wasted pulls that resulted in the 1-5 cover characters that will rot on my roster forever. make your pulls count. that means hoarding, but if you're interested in efficiency, and you're patient, it can pay off. patience is key.

To many responses like this in here, off I go to start a poll.

So great...you've hoarded! You champ three five stars!

Now what? You'll -never- get your other ones, because you basically haven't started (thanks, hoard!) and the dilution is so terrible that you won't be covering more any time soon.

Is it really a good game style to basically tell players: "Progress by huge hoard until you can get three characters at once!". Won't they get bored with those three? Shouldn't you encourage them to try to collect everyone, like they have throughout their game play? Shouldn't you encourage them to level everyone, like they have throughout their game play? Shouldn't you give a METHOD to GET them all, like you have throughout their game play?
  • SnakesArrows
    SnakesArrows Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    The other kick in the pants is that all folks i know in the 5* land have said don't level any 5* above 390 until you have TWO 5* that you can bring above 400+ or you will get slaughtered in PVP having only one high level 5*. Then bring both up at the same time. So it is not getting one 5* to 13 covers and associated ISO, it is getting two to be successful.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm at 1/2/1 for OML. So, with increasing dilution, I should have him finished in... 2021. I kinda wish that was complete hyperbole, but without an overhaul of this blasted system, it really isn't. I've drawn 4 when his rates were "good", and they're only going to decrease more.

It might be time for me to retire.
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Gmax101 wrote:
    But as a 2 year player with no older 5* covered other than a 2yellow OML, how do I get blacksmith spiderman or goblin or phoenix or red/black OML...

I agree that new players should still build rosters, but the original point that classic tokens make covering old 5* a total luck fest still stands

But then that ain't new news icon_e_smile.gif

I would whale the heck out of blacksmith spidey.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    I agree there should be a better method of obtaining 5*. At the very least, make them colorless (that'd be kinda cool to make 5* covers the first (and perhaps only) available in colorless flavor), or sellable for 700-ish CP instead of ISO (a desired cover minus a little "exchange cover tax").

That being said... I'm busy champing 4* (32/46 done). I have at least one cover of every 5* on my roster, but all my ISO goes into 4* and recycling my 2* farm. Maybe when I "catch-up" (HA!) on the 4*, I'll look at the 5*... I expect by then they'll have made those easier to get (Just as the have done/continue to do for both 3 and 4*).

But yeah... it would be nice for MPQ to at least admit they're aware of the problem and that they're working on a solution.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peej13 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:
    But as a 2 year player with no older 5* covered other than a 2yellow OML, how do I get blacksmith spiderman or goblin or phoenix or red/black OML...

I agree that new players should still build rosters, but the original point that classic tokens make covering old 5* a total luck fest still stands

But then that ain't new news icon_e_smile.gif

I would whale the heck out of blacksmith spidey.

3183790_04_02.jpg
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    This can be solved when the level 9 and 10 are opened. They will possibly offer specific 5 star covers for the older characters.

Another option is to add 5 star covers as champion rewards for some of the 4 stars characters.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    holy cow there's a blacksmith spiderman!
    Please do not post spoilers for Ye Olde Puzzle Quest: Marvel 1602

It has not been announced and probably does not exist and thus counts as a spoiler. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Right. My response is directed more at your comment to concern ones self with 5*s after 2*s and 3*s are done (and in my case over 60% of 4*s including all those considered top tier). After all that is done my point is that it is still just as impossible for old players as it is for new players to champ old man logan. jean grey, silver surfer etc unless you got lucky. And it's only getting worse.

By the time a new player is ready to work on 5*s, I'm sure the game will have moved onto 6*s so 5*s will be much easier to achieve. 5*s are a concern to you as you've been playing a long time now. For a new player to roster them now, well, they wont be playing the game in 3 years as the frustration will have caused them to move on.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Day 1215 player at the moment and like every (?) other vet I think the rng based end game is just plain stupid. I used to buy stuff in the game but as the feeling of progression dried up so did my spending.

I was however "lucky" enough to get 13 covers for Logan before the drop rate got too diluted. But since he is the only championed 5 I have that is who I play. Every. Single. Match. Because I have to since I mostly see other fives around level 460 in PvP and even boosted 4 have trouble with that.

Another sideeffect of Logan having a permanent spot is that I end up playing 4s that works well with strike tiles, have cheap powers, and are using green, blue and purple.

This game is dying, it was seriously most fun in 3 star land. At that point it had strategy, now it's just collecting black to get another pull on the slot machine.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Just a few thoughts on this. To champ via classics, you're looking at over 100 starks (gotten via buy clubs).

The 5* tier is not without drawbacks, but it does have some nice advantages as well, especially in PvP.

With a decent collection of usable 5*s, the tier does offer a pretty varied experience. And PvP is getting quite a bit more varied than it used to be (for better or worse, some of that is driven by people hoarding latests).

Finally, very high level 4*s can be better than "low" level champion 5*s. With many other options, I played Icebuster in Unholy Outlaw to well above progression. And largely taking on 5* A teams.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    8punch wrote:
    i think once you have level 5 cards champed the game becomes much more fun.

battles dont take forever. you could climb in pvp to 900 points in about 30 mins. then to battle for place 1 till 5 another 30 minutes. dont need to worry about not enough points. since you be able now to hit like 99% of the people except champed level 5 cards. now you could play for like 3 hours and barely end up in the top 100.

PVE will be more easy as well again save time. although i dont like PVE much. hitting same node over and over again is boring as hell.

so no at the moment i am saving up all my tokes and stars and when i have 255 something i am going all out and hopefully max 2 level 5 cards and go all out. screw the level 4 cards screw the level 3 cards. i want maximum damage, maximum carnage!!! Thanos style!!! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I'd like to take a moment to say: ahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doesn't work that way . Sure, you can steamroll lower tiers in pvp, but you never see them until youre so far above them theyre worth 1 point. Battles are definitely not shorter, either. Same with pve, except for trivial nodes. No, just....no.