Which characters did the gauntlet open your eyes to?

2»

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rick OShay wrote:
    To respond in line with the OP about newly appreciated characters, as opposed to blah blah team was easy/cheap-win/blah, I truly appreciated a buffed Quake who I champed just about 2 weeks prior. Her green power Earthquake was truly amazing, 9k+ AOE. Also, usually people play her blue to deny the enemy team of a specific color, but I used it a lot to align more red and purple matches for Xpool (champed right before the event). Bring along any yellow and/or black user like Hood and it was a very efficient team. Also since 3Thor was buffed his yellow helped acquire green even faster, and a buffed Blad3 is always great.

Separately, Squirrel Girl's green is quite good if you don't have Quake yet. Some alliance mates didn't realize that you gain AP each time her Furry Friends shatters tiles. If 3 or 4 of her CD's go off it hits pretty hard. Don't forget her purple is very powerful when enemies spam special tiles against you (sentries, symbiotes).

Yeah, Quake was the eye opener for me too. I've used her up until now as a goon slowing character mostly when the enemy is Kishu or Muscle and I champed her for that pretty niche role. But boosted she packs a hell of a punch especially the green power. So much so in fact that she now goes into that category of characters who need to be spec'ed each time I use them. Strong AOE team 5/5/3. No AOE 5/3/5.

Between Quake and Peggy Gauntlet wasn't particularly challenging this go around. Made my second finish of the event pretty much a foregone conclusion and I actually ended up farming almost all of it for XP and small amounts of ISO.
  • Like others, I had a pretty easy time of it but some friends with 3* rosters were having trouble so I tried out a couple of teams I wouldn't normally play with.

Im40, caps, and gamora was more fun than I thought. Once you get 6 yellow, you can kind of stun your way to victory.

Peggy/Medusa/whoever was tough to beat with only 3*s. I couldn't get enough yellow to get anything going with im40/caps to stun Peggy. I ended up relying on passives to bring her down to the magic % where my abilities were back to normal: IF for the passive attack tile, Daken to auto-generate strike tiles on green matches, and hulk to auto-create green. Every time medusa's tile ticked, it generates strike tiles for me.

Gauntlet was a breeze this go around but it was fun to try out other teams on the harder nodes. Still - the whole thing is way too long.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the majority of people when given the option to use their whole roster just went with the easiest team?

That seems like a waste. The removal of restrictions has been good in my opinion but I don't just go on autopilot and Peggy quake everything because I tend to play this game for fun.

I experimented and tested most of my roster and found...

Medusa/Mr f/carnage is a beast of a team mine aren't even fully levelled only Mr f is above level 150 and medusa only has 5 covers and this team started destroying all nodes. I did trade out carnage for c4ge in this team with similar effects.

Bl4de can utterly wreck you if he gets a lucky board at the start.

The 5* aren't that scary really unless they're high level (for reference my max scaling is 338 and my roster is 4* champ.

Nothing else really stood out but I enjoyed the event even though I got the cage cover after an hour and a half largely due to the fact I made it interesting for myself by not relying on the boosted characters and experimenting with my roster
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    From the enemy: Medusa. I only have 2 covers for her, but she's frightening! Keeps throwing out damage with her countdown, and matching it away will only get you into more trouble. Cpt. M4rvel too, happened to encounter a lot of black tiles in the matches where I faced her, and 5 AP to instantly nuke her black countdown downright hurts.

From my own roster: Black Bolt and 5trange. That may sound weird, seeing they are 5*s and thus 'powerful', but my BB is lowly covered at 2/2/1, and Strange is 3/5/2 (relatively few covers in his more important Blue+Yellow). Also, I kept from leveling them too much, I brought them up to only 280. I do this to keep them in the same level range as boosted 3*s, which are still my roster's bread and butter. The surprise came from seeing how they helped me through a few hard battles in the higher end of Global Domination. (Among others, the quake required node; my 1/2/2 Quake wasn't very reliable for that). It really deepened my appreciation for Strange's blue power, with targetable stun, AP destruction, and damage.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the majority of people when given the option to use their whole roster just went with the easiest team?

That seems like a waste. The removal of restrictions has been good in my opinion but I don't just go on autopilot and Peggy quake everything because I tend to play this game for fun.

I'll have you know I mostly used Peggy and Ghost Rider. So there!
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Nobody.

375 Thanos locks down the board with Infinite Power and beats all of his opponents to death.