Which characters did the gauntlet open your eyes to?

stochasticism
stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
We all have our own favorite characters and teams and outside those 10 or so characters we sometimes wildly underestimate some of the others. The gauntlet is great because Demiurge gets to roll out their newly released characters in nodes that can spotlight them. Anyone have a character they thought was meh before that they changed their opinion on because of the gauntlet? I'm not talking the Carols or Medusas of the world which are clearly t10 characters.

For me 5cap was a big surprise. I only wiped once and it was on the node with him Switch and Falcon. A weak 5, nerfed 3 and recently buffed but still mid-tier 3. Hah, no problem. Wrong. I'm still not sure what happened but cap just started assembling earths mightiest left and right and next thing I knew it was a lost cause. Any other characters that you see the light on now?

Comments

• nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Honestly no one. I couldn't even remember any match ups. Quake, Peggy and IM40 just did a speedrun thru the nodes. no one really got a power off.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    With no restrictions to who you can use, Bolt/OML just cruised through the entire thing. Probably easiest run so far. Incredibly mindnumbingly boring.

If only scaling allowed to try other teams for fun past node 10..
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Peggy did make it hard to get a feel for some of the new characters, thanks to using her at 5 yellow thus slowing down a lot of the powers. But it was nice to see King Panther’s red in action. It was enough to stop a normally one shot kill (boosted champ Xpool’s Slice and Dice), even if I did finished him off before he could wake up. And I always forget about Gwenpool until her Plot Armor throws off my plans.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    as far as i got i mostly did with X-23 Peggy Carter and IM40 so as you can guess most of the fights weren't terribly long
    only wipe was the node with 4 Star cage and Spider Woman (and all I did there was adjust priorities)
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gwenpool pulled a power on me!!! "Team Pink"! That was great... not too damaging to my team.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Daiches wrote:
    With no restrictions to who you can use, Bolt/OML just cruised through the entire thing. Probably easiest run so far. Incredibly mindnumbingly boring.

If only scaling allowed to try other teams for fun past node 10..

Pretty much this, but I used Hood/M40/Peggy for all nodes. Once I got about halfway thru the first sub, the levels were so high that any team that might be "fun" to play was probably also suicide, so why bother? Yay!! Scaling icon_rolleyes.gif
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    None. I burned through almost all of it all with Peggy, Hood, and IM40, so the AI rarely fired a skill, let alone lived long enough to display any sort of synergy.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    No surprises, but it did reaffirm for me that I need to get Power Man, Kate Bishop, and 4* Blade better covered.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Had some fun with Mr Fantastic + QS + PX. Swap tiles, make match-5, get free blue AP to swap some more. Then my full health PX got one shot by an overscaled enemy Carol Danvers, at which point I just switched to Peggy/IM40 like everyone else.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    No real surprises for me on the main lines. I did oml/medusa/strange for survival and tactics, then switched to xpool + carol + medusa for domination.

Carol and medusa were confirmed as terrifying opponents when overleveled. Watching my team melt after an early cascade allowed carol + WM to go all black + red + green on me was sobering.

I also did the quake essential node via quake + xpool + im40 (i.e. easy mode). Still have to finish the remaining essentials, which may pose more challenges. Look forward to seeing if 3be + peggy + medusa is any good.

In general, gauntlets have rarely surprised me with characrers that i thought were ****, but thet do frequently demonstrate why some characters wouod be very OP if they had high health pools (e.g. hood). And they often highlight the most effective pvp defensive combos. They are also a great, low stakes way for us 4* (and lower) players to try fighting well covered 5*s. I have probably still only faced a 13/13 BB in a handful of matches, and he is what, 8 months old now?
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    I have always enjoyed playing with Stormneto, but genuinely had no appreciation for just how powerful they can be until this gauntlet. Wiped on a couple of nodes with my strongest teams of boosted characters, and had seen a mention of Stormneto plus Hood doing the job so gave it a go, expecting I'd be destroyed.

I was so, so wrong. Incredible
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    To respond in line with the OP about newly appreciated characters, as opposed to blah blah team was easy/cheap-win/blah, I truly appreciated a buffed Quake who I champed just about 2 weeks prior. Her green power Earthquake was truly amazing, 9k+ AOE. Also, usually people play her blue to deny the enemy team of a specific color, but I used it a lot to align more red and purple matches for Xpool (champed right before the event). Bring along any yellow and/or black user like Hood and it was a very efficient team. Also since 3Thor was buffed his yellow helped acquire green even faster, and a buffed Blad3 is always great.

Separately, Squirrel Girl's green is quite good if you don't have Quake yet. Some alliance mates didn't realize that you gain AP each time her Furry Friends shatters tiles. If 3 or 4 of her CD's go off it hits pretty hard. Don't forget her purple is very powerful when enemies spam special tiles against you (sentries, symbiotes).
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2017
    I'm fairly critical of 4* Blade as a one trick pony that doesn't even do his one trick very well. Fighting him did remind me though that when he's max covered, the strike tiles he generates are really powerful. Then I matched away enough red, and the fight was basically over for him.

Medusa continues to surprise me with how powerful she is.

Edit:
    I also did the Peggy + IM40 thing, so it was hard to tell if anyone without passive powers had anything to throw at me.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    You mean there were other options beyond Peggy/IM40/<insert other character here>?

Seriously, those two pretty much won everything. I added XFDP to tank a bit of red to save some health, but i probably could have plugged almost anyone in there. Peggy boosted is just amazing.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I almost lost the Bl4de node because he cascaded into like 20 red on his first turn and turned into a straight savage.

Other than that, I lolPeggy'd the whole thing.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    I almost lost the Bl4de node because he cascaded into like 20 red on his first turn and turned into a straight savage.

Other than that, I lolPeggy'd the whole thing.

Ditto. I have a 9-cover Blade that I've never used except for essentials. I don't even think I've read his powers all the way through. But all I know is that for 1 fight, he was dropping massive strike tiles and doing 10k damage a turn while mocking my Peggy with his passive.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Switch, De4dpool, Log4n

Easiest Gauntlet ever. Actually, I usually can't even finish the Gauntlet. Finished this one early on the second day. Probably the first one I've completed in the last 4 times they ran it. Made me realize all that matters is that you have the right boosted characters.

Recent PVP matches have definitely helped me respect Medusa, though.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Gwenpool's chekhovs gun wiped me on several occasions before i said it was time to break out Charlie's Angels
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Gwenpool's chekhovs gun wiped me on several occasions before i said it was time to break out Charlie's Angels

Likewise. This was a frustrating fight and her with Peggy and Medusa made it painful on health packs.

Eventually just stuck my single-cover Thanos greenflag.png in to soak all the damage until Patch and Loki could get going. That worked. Barely.

Gauntlet may still defeat my 3-4 transition roster.

--Khanwulf
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Not sure it was the best team, but I used Rulk, Cho, and hood to do the Medusa, Peggy fight. Didn't wipe, but it was close.

Probably the worst fight of the bunch.

I found boosted hood pretty useful, just need to hide him behind a better yellow. OML, maybe boosted fury. I have used his demo a bunch to help clear nodes.

As for other enemy nodes, nobody stood out. I either downed the real threats first, or I got surprised once or twice. But I was using DP a lot, so I just used out of bullets to heal up and still had him tank as much as possible.

Sometimes hood got nuked from bad boards or AOE, then you wait and get the rest later.

I will say, I like guantlet for that reason. Rewards are accessible to all (even if they are kinda lackluster this run) and you can always try on your own timetable.