Petition to Restore 4* Cyclops' Blue

2»

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    This is starting to feel like the whole True Healing thing again.

It's really weird to me that this is being done. I mean, it's not like it's closing an exploit that was breaking the game economy or the game balance. It's not like 5* or 4* players were falling by the thousands to this inescapable, broken, horrendous winfinite combo that you couldn't stop once it started. The change doesn't benefit us. Hell I don't think it really hinders us. Sure, a bunch of characters are less useful now, but the net result of that is people just don't use them at all. Instead they look for the next dominant strategy and focus on that.

Winfinite has never been a big deal in MPQ because difficulty is scaled, and fixed difficulty events in this game are few and far between, and nearly all at a level where they're trivial by the time you can field a winfinite team (DDQ nodes, for example).

The only way this makes sense is if they're planning to introduce something with fixed difficulty at a level that they don't want people using winfinite as easily to win.

Has anyone seen something indicating that there might be a change to the primary source of fixed difficulty challenges in the gam--

[mysterious red-clad user uses MBW TU, stuns me, redacts me to undisclosed location]
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

It reminds me of the Health buff from two years ago where 90% of the characters gained increased health. It was basically a hidden nerf to some of the most used characters: Hood, Loki, Patch, Daken, Cstorm, OBW. Players still use them but they definitely lost their usefulness over the years.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor

It reminds me of the Health buff from two years ago where 90% of the characters gained increased health. It was basically a hidden nerf to some of the most used characters: Hood, Loki, Patch, Daken, Cstorm, OBW. Players still use them but they definitely lost their usefulness over the years.

100% that's the thing this reminded me most of -- nerfing a handful of characters by giving everyone else a health boost. Just adding that you left off 3* Thor, the primary target of the de facto nerf. Younglings, for so long 3* Thor was considered the most powerful character in the game! In the most recent rankings, he barely made it into the top 10 of his own tier.
  • Ythik
    Ythik Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    The change doesn't benefit us. Hell I don't think it really hinders us. Sure, a bunch of characters are less useful now, but the net result of that is people just don't use them at all. Instead they look for the next dominant strategy and focus on that.

Debatably, if the "problem" was the persistence of a behind-the-curve team in the meta, then a change to it might not be because that team is particularly broken, but rather that they want people to be moving past it faster than they are.

For a similar analogy, World of Warcraft sometimes has to nerf older set bonuses because they want people to start using newer sets instead. It's not that the old set bonus was too strong or anything, but the devs don't want you to keep using old gear and instead want you to be working towards gathering the new stuff.

Now, personally, I feel like if they wanted to do this, they should be working on making better battery characters in the four star tier, instead of working at nerfing the good three star batteries, but it's still possible that that's the impetus behind the change.
  • Punisher5784
    stowaway wrote:

100% that's the thing this reminded me most of -- nerfing a handful of characters by giving everyone else a health boost. Just adding that you left off 3* Thor, the primary target of the de facto nerf. Younglings, for so long 3* Thor was considered the most powerful character in the game! In the most recent rankings, he barely made it into the top 10 of his own tier.

3* Thor already had a ton of health so it made sense that he didn't get an increase... even though 4hor did (lol). The reason no one uses 3Thor anymore is because all of his powers are expensive and most players utilize IM40.. which obviously would not work well for 3Thor. I remember when I fought so hard to cover him and I thought I was the strongest 3* player ever when I finally did... but he's not scary anymore. Sometimes I forget 3Thor is on my roster until he is boosted. I have a second dup.. I wish I asked CS to break him up when I had the chance lol
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they alter the power, the whole row destroying version should be able to select any tile (row) too!
  • Punisher5784
    DuckyV wrote:
    The also can't turn into any of these: bomb.pngeattack.pngenemystrike.pngenemyprotect.pngecountdown.png .

Why not?

I once posed that query to IceIX. His answer? Nothing about gameplay or balance. The answer was, "That would look funny".

But they can be trap tiles. I guess that doesn't look funny.

Exactly this! I was just about to post this. I recall the devs stating this as well. They did not want T/U's to have special tiles because it would not look right.