What do you guys think of MtG:PQ?

2»

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    stowaway wrote:
    I played it for about two weeks when it first came out. I liked it quite a bit. The only thing that kept me from playing more was the fact that I already had a Puzzle Quest game with my costs all sunk in.

You can only play so many competitive match-3 puzzle games.

I agree with this. I tried MtGPQ because I love MtG but I was already committed to MPQ for over a year. Plus everytime I play a Magic-related game (e.g. Duel of the Planeswalkers on XBox) I find myself wanting to go out and buy cards then my wife thinks I'm crazy as I have thousands of cards in my closet (probably the reason for the other Magic properties lol). I love Magic but I can never find anyone to play the actual card game with icon_e_sad.gif
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    stowaway wrote:
    I played it for about two weeks when it first came out. I liked it quite a bit. The only thing that kept me from playing more was the fact that I already had a Puzzle Quest game with my costs all sunk in.

You can only play so many competitive match-3 puzzle games.

I agree with this. I tried MtGPQ because I love MtG but I was already committed to MPQ for over a year. Plus everytime I play a Magic-related game (e.g. Duel of the Planeswalkers on XBox) I find myself wanting to go out and buy cards then my wife thinks I'm crazy as I have thousands of cards in my closet (probably the reason for the other Magic properties lol). I love Magic but I can never find anyone to play the actual card game with icon_e_sad.gif

There are several ways to play mtg online for free, Xmage is probably the best.
    I must say, playing Paper MtG and MtG:PQ is a true joy. Seeing some paper card in your collection and immediately thinking of the PQ version is kinda sweet, it's honestly just amazing to play both, they fit well together. Although I have to admit I was afraid I'd forget how to play paper MtG, but I haven't. Just a little rusty icon_e_smile.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I started playing back in june or july and enjoyed it a lot, even bought crystals with real money and I progressed quite fast. But there were things I didn't like. The meta relies too much on board ramp, forcing you to build somewhat simple decks designed more to beat the RNG and brute force your way to victory than executing any sort of distinctive strategy. The traditional Magic concepts of aggro, balanced, tempo, etc are secondary, it's all about ramping the board and fetching cards.

Also, losing because of the RNG is so infuritaing in this game. You can have three or four creature removals on your deck which is total overkill and still lose because sometimes the game never fetches any of them. Meanwhile, the AI cascades its way into an early Olivia and it's game over after three turns. Luck is too big a factor in this game, a game that is supposed to have strategy as its strongest element, but here it's simply about overloading your deck with board ramp and card fetch so you can winfinite to your heart's content.

The bit that finally made me lose interest was the Kaladesh update. The UI and board graphics with the Christmas theme were awful to the eyes and the support display bug was just too much. Both things that essentially made the game unplayable. Add to that the Kaladesh theme didn't seem as attractive to me as the Battle for Zendikar or Shadows over Innistrad. Inventors and machines are boring compared to wolves, vampires, the goth theme, allies, and even the Eldrazi which I don't care much for. I just didn't like the Kaladesh flavour.

I still open the game and check what is going on and I'm starting to feel more inclined to play it again but ultimately, if the content is not attractive, the bugs are still there and the meta is still the same then I'll probably play it very casual at best.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played it when it started, liked it. Then it was stagnant. Then they introduced new Plainswalkers, and wanted $50 for a digital card. Then there were overpowered PW and Creatures... then they over-nerfed, and introduced new OP PW for cash, then nerfed those for the next OP batch for cash.

Then they started throwing all kinds of stuff at it. The more complicated they made it, the less I enjoyed it. I was never into the actual card game, so it was nice and simple in the beginning, but as they complicated it, I lost interest. The last few months I had it on my phone, I was only logging in for my daily reward and drawing my free packs. I finally deleted it because I needed space on my phone and felt no remorse.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Omega Red wrote:
    I started playing back in june or july and enjoyed it a lot, even bought crystals with real money and I progressed quite fast. But there were things I didn't like. The meta relies too much on board ramp, forcing you to build somewhat simple decks designed more to beat the RNG and brute force your way to victory than executing any sort of distinctive strategy. The traditional Magic concepts of aggro, balanced, tempo, etc are secondary, it's all about ramping the board and fetching cards.

Also, losing because of the RNG is so infuritaing in this game. You can have three or four creature removals on your deck which is total overkill and still lose because sometimes the game never fetches any of them. Meanwhile, the AI cascades its way into an early Olivia and it's game over after three turns. Luck is too big a factor in this game, a game that is supposed to have strategy as its strongest element, but here it's simply about overloading your deck with board ramp and card fetch so you can winfinite to your heart's content.

The bit that finally made me lose interest was the Kaladesh update. The UI and board graphics with the Christmas theme were awful to the eyes and the support display bug was just too much. Both things that essentially made the game unplayable. Add to that the Kaladesh theme didn't seem as attractive to me as the Battle for Zendikar or Shadows over Innistrad. Inventors and machines are boring compared to wolves, vampires, the goth theme, allies, and even the Eldrazi which I don't care much for. I just didn't like the Kaladesh flavour.

I still open the game and check what is going on and I'm starting to feel more inclined to play it again but ultimately, if the content is not attractive, the bugs are still there and the meta is still the same then I'll probably play it very casual at best.

This all makes sense, but did you hear, deck slots are in development!!!!

But seriously, I think everyone agrees luck is to big of an element. Yes it's a match 3 game, and any match 3 game is going to have a luck element inherently, but it's also Magic: the Gathering. And that game requires skill. There is a skill element, in deck building and in playing, but I do believe it isn't prominent enough in the game. As for the meta, I personally think it's great! Yeah there are a few OP dumb cards, but there are control decks and aggro decks and combo decks etc. And the best part is you're encouraged to give each one a go, as for the events you have multiple nodes with different colours, which means you play with multiple styles, one for each colour.
    For example let me list my strategy for each colour planeswalker in the most recent Nodes of Power event:
    White node: Ajani Vengeant, control with big finishers
    Red node: Nahiri, straight up aggro
    Black Node: Ob Nixilis, heavy control and kill spells, 0 creatures, use Ob's third ability to win.
    Blue Node: Jace2, control + defenders + draw spells. Verrrrry mean deck
    Green Node: Arlinn Kord, ramp into gigantic creatures.

So for each coloured node my strategy roughly represented that colours general strategy. Blue and white were control, black was "Kill Everything" hyper control, red was all-in aggro. Green was ramp and giant fat creatures. So I think that they've done a decent job making each colour with it's preferred strategy and playstyle. With that said I can still totally see why you'd leave the game, some totally oppressive cards can make the game pretty un-fun - but only when they're used against you, otherwise they're awesome! icon_lol.gif
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    I love Magic but I can never find anyone to play the actual card game with icon_e_sad.gif
    You could always go check out a local comic book / card game store and see if they have Friday night Magic. A lot of places tend to have those events, and you can meet a lot of new players there.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I learned about MtGPQ while I was on a break from MPQ and chose not to try it because I was mad at the publisher for making MPQ suck so much. Everything I've heard about the game since has failed to kindle any interest, despite the fact that I'm generally a much bigger Magic fan than a Marvel one. If it ever gets to the point where MtGPQ has a reputation for better stability and fewer bugs then I might make the switch, but as it is I think the general perception is the reverse.
    Brigby wrote:
    I love Magic but I can never find anyone to play the actual card game with icon_e_sad.gif
    You could always go check out a local comic book / card game store and see if they have Friday night Magic. A lot of places tend to have those events, and you can meet a lot of new players there.

I live in SLC and there are multiple card shops within a 20 minute drive of my house, and multiple people at my work who play also, and I still feel like I really never get to play. The game really takes a lot of investment before you start feeling like you're up to your potential.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:

I used to do this and won some New Release tournaments (always grab the flyers!) but I enjoy playing with friends more because the more I won at the card shop, the more people hated me.. not my fault I was good at making decks icon_lol.gif
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Brigby wrote:

I tend to go to every prerelease. Constructed doesn't interest me much anymore, but prerelease and the odd draft here and there are great for me!
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Yesterday I played 20 quick battles. I didn't face a single Kaladesh PW and all the Mythics were the usual suspects (Olivia, Gisela, Mirrorpool). I think I only saw one from Kaladesh: Pupetter or something.

Looks like guys on QB didn't embrace the Kaladesh pack at all.
  • BetrayerOfHope
    BetrayerOfHope Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I played for a bit while taking a break from MPQ. I did enjoy it, and only recently stopped. I found it to be wildly quicker in progression than mpq, and much less of a time investment, but it didn't have the lasting appeal to me that MPQ does. I didn't like the newest expansion, or the last few planewalkers, so was stuck playing the same PWs and cards for months. I'm also a paper magic fan, and was constantly annoyed by the way they interpreted some of the cards. Olivia, in particular, is insanely broken in the PQ version, and hardly similar at all to the paper version. I couldn't resist putting her in every red and/or black deck, but it felt very much like cheating. The only way I can imagine the justification for that card being created was to put a cash purchase price on it (the only way to get her initially).
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I played when it first came out and thought it was terrible. Matching colors for slightly different amounts of generic colorless AP seems to go against the spirit of Magic. Reducing card play and combat to autoplay seems to go against the spirit of Magic. The actual board play was no fun at all and felt like a slow boring slot machine. Never went back.

If you're looking for a MPQ alternative, Pokémon Shuffle is much more interesting, despite all the slot machine mechanics.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    not enough marvel or star wars chars