What do you guys think of MtG:PQ?

THEMAGICkMAN
THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I have always been curious as to what you Marvel Puzzle Questers think of MtG:PQ. I figured I'd post here, seemed like as good a place as any. (And if I posted it in off-topic a grand total of 2 people would see this).

So what do you think of MtGPQ? Have you ever played it? Did you like it/dislike it? Have you browsed our forums down below? (They're a lot quieter, when I saw some posts here with 100+ PAGES it blew my mind, no wonder you guys have so many more moderators than us)

Let me know what you think! I'm interested to see what your opinions are!

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I played it for about two weeks when it first came out. I liked it quite a bit. The only thing that kept me from playing more was the fact that I already had a Puzzle Quest game with my costs all sunk in.

You can only play so many competitive match-3 puzzle games.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Never tried MtG:PQ. But I'm a migrant from Adventure Time Puzzle Quest. Things were... grim... there.

I've at least poked my head in your forum. Then I saw that while we in MPQ have bugs where things cost the wrong amount, or are too hard, you guys were having one where a person with the right card in their deck on the defense would cause their opponent to crash? Or something. And I backed away slowly. There's already enough opportunity to waste time in this game anyway.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    fanghoul wrote:
    Never tried MtG:PQ. But I'm a migrant from Adventure Time Puzzle Quest. Things were... grim... there.

I've at least poked my head in your forum. Then I saw that while we in MPQ have bugs where things cost the wrong amount, or are too hard, you guys were having one where a person with the right card in their deck on the defense would cause their opponent to crash? Or something. And I backed away slowly. There's already enough opportunity to waste time in this game anyway.

Yep certain cards caused massive lag when they were in either players hand. That's been fixed now though.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never played it. Never will. I'm far enough along on MPQ, and I'm a big enough fan of Marvel that I can stick with it. But it's been a bumpy ride, with a fair amount of problems. So, I think I'll pass on repeating this sort of game from the same team.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    firethorne wrote:
    Never played it. Never will. I'm far enough along on MPQ, and I'm a big enough fan of Marvel that I can stick with it. But it's been a bumpy ride, with a fair amount of problems. So, I think I'll pass on repeating this sort of game from the same team.

Actually the 2 games have different developers, but D3, the publisher, is the same. Hibernum makes MtGPQ, Demiurge makes MPQ.

Totally get that another puzzle quest game is to much though, I'm already at a very high level of play in MtGPQ, and I haven't even considered starting MPQ.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    fanghoul wrote:
    I'm a migrant from Adventure Time Puzzle Quest. Things were... grim... there.

I found MPQ because I tried ATPQ and it was such a horribly designed, unintuitive disaster that I looked up reviews to see if it was actually that bad or if I was missing something. One of the reviews I read, which confirmed that it was in fact that bad, suggested MPQ as a solid alternative.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I tried ATPQ for a (short) while before deleting it - glad to hear other people found it a hot mess too
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2017
    I tried it for a couple of months and found it to be horrible. Extremely laggy and very little balance in character spells. Some of the IAP made MPQ iso-8 prices look generous in comparison too. It has been deleted from my iPad for a year now, and I have never been tempted to go back and give it another try.

P.S. I am a big fan of MTG too, and really wanted to like the PQ form of the game too.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    killercool wrote:
    I tired it for a couple of months and found it to be horrible. Extremely laggy and very little balance in character spells. Some of the IAP made MPQ iso-8 prices look generous in comparison too. It has been deleted from my iPad for a year now, and I have never been tempted to go back and give it another try.
    The IAPs are insane, I agree. It's not that laggy when the board isn't full of shiny gems and the card/ability balance was rubbish at the start, but it's a bit better now. Yes there are oppressive OP cards (I'm looking at you Oliva, Mobilized for War) but you can still build a great deck without rares and mythics. Some of the planeswalkers are very unbalanced though. All in all I love the game, for all it's faults I still play it every day
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    I have a form of color-blindness and the gem colors were too difficult for me to discern.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    I have a form of color-blindness and the gem colors were too difficult for me to discern.

Oh yeah, that'd make it difficult. I don't think there are colour-blind settings. :/
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I liked it more than MPQ, but I didn't sink a lot of time so that may have changed. Most games are fun at first because progression is rapid, then it settles later. Like others have said, I like PQ games, but not enough to play two at the same time icon_lol.gif
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Dauthi wrote:
    I liked it more than MPQ, but I didn't sink a lot of time so that may have changed. Most games are fun at first because progression is rapid, then it settles later. Like others have said, I like PQ games, but not enough to play two at the same time icon_lol.gif

Eh, you don't have to plat a ton, it certainly helps though. I only play about 2 hours per day, and I'm in a top 25 coalition, I do well in each event in platinum tier (the highest) but others who play FAR more than me are obviously going to do better. I am at a very high level of play for not much time. It's quite a good balance IMO
  • ZommyGD
    ZommyGD Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I play both MPQ and MtGPQ casually. Just made MPQ SHIELD rank 78 yesterday, and MtGPQ Platinum tier of White and Blue last week.
    I like MtGPQ. It's got that "charisma" of quality games.
    But I think MtGPQ is too slow. Some comments in the Taiwan iTunes Store blame the server. Also, I need a lot of time to build new decks. Of course the imbalance makes it worse. So I play MtGPQ just around one hour a day.
  • Cabol
    Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I liked MtGPQ when I played it. Probably played somewhere in the 4-6 week range before I stopped playing. I loved the deck building aspect and the gameplay of it, very unique spin on the PQ formula. I ultimately stopped playing because the PvP didn't work correctly for the entire time I played, and I didn't have anyone to talk to about it. Majority of my friends play MPQ which is why I've been playing this for over 2 years now, but I couldn't convince anyone to join me in checking out MtGPQ.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Cabol wrote:
    I liked MtGPQ when I played it. Probably played somewhere in the 4-6 week range before I stopped playing. I loved the deck building aspect and the gameplay of it, very unique spin on the PQ formula. I ultimately stopped playing because the PvP didn't work correctly for the entire time I played, and I didn't have anyone to talk to about it. Majority of my friends play MPQ which is why I've been playing this for over 2 years now, but I couldn't convince anyone to join me in checking out MtGPQ.

Yeah pvp and matchmaking used to be pretty messed up. Level 10s getting matched up with level 60s, playif the same guy like 10 times in an event, but it's mostly been fixed, and what hasn't been fixed yet will be soon, according to the developers thread
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never played it (as MPQ is enough of a time sink already and I still want to have some time left for other games too. Plus a failing attempt at a social life icon_lol.gif), but I've checked out some of the art and I was really impressed. Very well done.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    killercool wrote:
    I tried it for a couple of months and found it to be horrible. Extremely laggy and very little balance in character spells. Some of the IAP made MPQ iso-8 prices look generous in comparison too. It has been deleted from my iPad for a year now, and I have never been tempted to go back and give it another try.

P.S. I am a big fan of MTG too, and really wanted to like the PQ form of the game too.

Did you write my response for me? Seriously I was excited to try it. I jumped in with both feet even though I was already hooked on mpq. I played for a couple months, this was before pvp was a thing and the story mode was ok, but I found the rewards to be lacking. Then pvp was released and it was garbage, without clear ideas of what your rewards were. And again the rewards were too low.

On top of that, you basically were punished for levelling your planeswalker since hp gained only meant a longer match, not any better powers to use (the planeswalker abilities were much too weak to compensate for spending an extra 5 to 10 minutes per match)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think of it.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Natsufan01 wrote:
    killercool wrote:

Did you write my response for me? Seriously I was excited to try it. I jumped in with both feet even though I was already hooked on mpq. I played for a couple months, this was before pvp was a thing and the story mode was ok, but I found the rewards to be lacking. Then pvp was released and it was garbage, without clear ideas of what your rewards were. And again the rewards were too low.

On top of that, you basically were punished for levelling your planeswalker since hp gained only meant a longer match, not any better powers to use (the planeswalker abilities were much too weak to compensate for spending an extra 5 to 10 minutes per match)

Yeah early on the game was not very good, right now it's a TON better. I've been having a lot of fun with it, I started playing September last year, totally hooked me, despite it's faults.