PVP difficulty?

2»

Comments

• Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    I have a feeling this event and the next and the next will be more bloodbaths. Score suppression is an understatement, call it Slatering. Personally, I love to hit over and over and over and over and over and over and over...we (my alliance) don't shield, why when it's so much fucn to just pound away until you're worth -15. When we hunt, we spread out....we will find you and we will hit you....over and over and over and over and over....I think you get the picture. If you're a lucky receipent, I may Slater you.....those are only for the special people though.....

Does Slatering mean leaving a lot of blues, because I think I've seen some screen shots.
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I have a friend who hit one of the 5* teams that were just floating there. Next thing he knew, he got about 30 messages on line - ALL WITH DIFFERENT PICTURES OF A.C. SLATER. And then he dropped 300 points.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    yeah, it was a combination of drama in big boy alliances and horrible four star boosted.

We had Spider-Woman, Kingpin, Falcap, Winter Solider and Blade. Lots of color overlap with red, yellow and black. ACTUALLY only one green and one blue user out of all five!!! And Blade is newer so a lot of people don't have him champed.

There are lots of variables they can look at when putting together a list of boosted heroes:

- hero hasn't been boosted in a long time
    - group has rainbow colors
    - group has rainbow powers (not passives)
    - group has some synergy amongst powers/passives
    - group has some top notch chars and some weaker chars
    - group has mix of newer chars and older chars
    - group works well with scheduled PVP chars
    - group works well with scheduled PVE chars

Would be hard to put together a boosted group each week that does well in each of the above categories. I'm guessing they concentrate on the first category and maybe one other. Some weeks it is no big deal, and other weeks it ends up being a storm full of tiny kittens.

Next week looks better for me at least!
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I have a feeling this event and the next and the next will be more bloodbaths. Score suppression is an understatement, call it Slatering. Personally, I love to hit over and over and over and over and over and over and over...we (my alliance) don't shield, why when it's so much fucn to just pound away until you're worth -15. When we hunt, we spread out....we will find you and we will hit you....over and over and over and over and over....I think you get the picture. If you're a lucky receipent, I may Slater you.....those are only for the special people though.....
    I feel compelled to go on record as saying that I am in UsualSuspects and PhantomSniper does not speak for me.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Peej13 wrote:
    I have a friend who hit one of the 5* teams that were just floating there. Next thing he knew, he got about 30 messages on line - ALL WITH DIFFERENT PICTURES OF A.C. SLATER. And then he dropped 300 points.

I mean I find the idea kind of funny that your warning was tons of photos of A.C. Slater... pretty unique. But if I am being the target of stuff like this (no idea, I am not on Line) it would be pretty discouraging. Trying to advance my roster to be competitive, but being beaten down instead? It's part of the game, but it would definitely make me not want to play PvP for a while.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Peej13 wrote:

I mean I find the idea kind of funny that your warning was tons of photos of A.C. Slater... pretty unique. But if I am being the target of stuff like this (no idea, I am not on Line) it would be pretty discouraging. Trying to advance my roster to be competitive, but being beaten down instead? It's part of the game, but it would definitely make me not want to play PvP for a while.

Unless you are running two champed 5* and/or a really high level 5* with boosted champed 4*s you won't have to worry too much about being put on a sniper list. They won't be able to reliably queue you unless you are very close in points and over the 800 point threshold. They will hit you because you are a tasty queue, not because they are sniping you.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Crnch73 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    A set of players were using a point suppression strategy in S4 this event. It's not Cyclops, and it's not you, this was a very difficult event in S4. This might continue in S4 for a bit longer, it might move to S3, it's hard to say in advance.

so basically... people at the top just want to keep everyone down?

or does point suppression mean they hold their own score down for a while and then pounce on weaker teams?

For the record, I was in the last shard, so shard 5, SCL7.

either way, it really put a damper on how much fun I had. I have just started really trying to reach for pvp. I used to hit 300 points and then quit. Now I aim for 575, and make a few pushes to see if 900 is doable, since I really need those 4* covers badly but my roster isn't good enough to truly compete for them every time. I definitely lost over 1300 points in total over the course of the entire event, which is more than I ever had before. I am glad other people have felt this, though. At the very least, it tells me that I'm not alone... I was starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't play PVP much anymore, because I wasn't ready for it. I will try to mix up what shard I am in, hopefully it doesn't continue this way or I probably will just stop PvP for a while.
    Basically you're seeing the effects of Snipers, and their alliances, exerting their will on a particular slice or event. Most, if not all of them have 5* rosters, so they're able to enjoy hitting whoever they want without really having to worry about being strategic, shielding, or being hit back because they know they can win pretty much against anyone. This event however, a lot of them met their match per se with other top alliances, and it turned into a war of suppression. Because of the current MMR mechanics, its not easy for a 3-4* roster to queue them, but they have no problem q'ing you. So they can pretty much act as a wall if they coordinate their efforts. Doesn't make the game very fun for you, but it does for them, and its technically a perfectly legal strategy. You're not going to win an argument against their ability to do so, when they've spent however much time + money to champ 5-stars. If you're willing to do what most people won't do, then it's fair that you get enjoy benefits that most people don't either. When it comes to a solution however, it's just like the argument with placement awards, in that only a certain percentile of the player base has access to these kinds of benefits. You can't blame the players for doing what they did to build up their roster - whales have a right to spend their money how they please, and you can't fault someone who put in hard work to build their roster. Only thing you can really do is build your roster so you can fight back, and take advantage of their complacency. You can hope that the devs take steps to fix things like "q hell", or change the way that "hits" work, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Doesn't make the game very fun for you, but it does for them, and its technically a perfectly legal strategy. You're not going to win an argument against their ability to do so, when they've spent however much time + money to champ 5-stars. If you're willing to do what most people won't do, then it's fair that you get enjoy benefits that most people don't either. When it comes to a solution however, it's just like the argument with placement awards, in that only a certain percentile of the player base has access to these kinds of benefits. You can't blame the players for doing what they did to build up their roster - whales have a right to spend their money how they please, and you can't fault someone who put in hard work to build their roster. Only thing you can really do is build your roster so you can fight back, and take advantage of their complacency. You can hope that the devs take steps to fix things like "q hell", or change the way that "hits" work, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

not trying to tell anyone how to play, not even trying to complain. Definitely not arguing that they shouldn't be able to do it. I understand it is just a mechanic of the game and the way PvP works. Just stating that it felt odd and wanted to see if others saw this as well. As long as I wasn't alone in seeing this, it at least gives me reassurance that it was just a bad event all-around. It definitely wasn't fun to experience, and if it happens frequently I may just take a step back from PvP just so I don't feel demoralized by it. That's not a "taking my ball and going home" statement, just saying that it wouldn't make sense to beat my head against the wall.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Doesn't make the game very fun for you, but it does for them, and its technically a perfectly legal strategy. You're not going to win an argument against their ability to do so, when they've spent however much time + money to champ 5-stars. If you're willing to do what most people won't do, then it's fair that you get enjoy benefits that most people don't either. When it comes to a solution however, it's just like the argument with placement awards, in that only a certain percentile of the player base has access to these kinds of benefits. You can't blame the players for doing what they did to build up their roster - whales have a right to spend their money how they please, and you can't fault someone who put in hard work to build their roster. Only thing you can really do is build your roster so you can fight back, and take advantage of their complacency. You can hope that the devs take steps to fix things like "q hell", or change the way that "hits" work, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

not trying to tell anyone how to play, not even trying to complain. Definitely not arguing that they shouldn't be able to do it. I understand it is just a mechanic of the game and the way PvP works. Just stating that it felt odd and wanted to see if others saw this as well. As long as I wasn't alone in seeing this, it at least gives me reassurance that it was just a bad event all-around. It definitely wasn't fun to experience, and if it happens frequently I may just take a step back from PvP just so I don't feel demoralized by it. That's not a "taking my ball and going home" statement, just saying that it wouldn't make sense to beat my head against the wall.
    Of course, and I'm not saying you were complaining or anything. We've just had this discussion on "sniping" multiple times, and it never gets anywhere. Both sides have completely valid points, so nothing is probably going to change in the short term. You're absolutely right to recognize that it's just part of the game, but as such, you definitely shouldn't let it discourage you. Regardless of how much you advance your roster, or allow time before your next PVP, sniping is always gonna be a thing. It won't always be THIS bad though.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a certain goal in pvp, and usually I can hit it. But sometimes it's easier and harder, depending on a variety of factors, mostly already discussed:

* Which 4* characters are boosted that week
    * Which major alliances are at peace or fighting
    * Which shard you chose / which alliances have moved to what shard
    * How badly people want the 4* reward.

So basically with the same amount of effort during different events, I can sometimes hit 1200+ and other times barely even 700. It used to bother me a lot, but now I don't really care!

**Boosted RHulk week is the very worst. I rarely score much, because I don't like using 3 health packs per match.**

**Boosted Cy4c week is usually pretty decent. He's so powerful that you get more 4* teams at higher point levels, instead of hitting a wall of championed 5*s early on. Just try not to let him get off any attacks icon_e_biggrin.gif **
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2017
    Crnch73 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    A set of players were using a point suppression strategy in S4 this event. It's not Cyclops, and it's not you, this was a very difficult event in S4. This might continue in S4 for a bit longer, it might move to S3, it's hard to say in advance.

so basically... people at the top just want to keep everyone down?

or does point suppression mean they hold their own score down for a while and then pounce on weaker teams?

For the record, I was in the last shard, so shard 5, SCL7.

either way, it really put a damper on how much fun I had. I have just started really trying to reach for pvp. I used to hit 300 points and then quit. Now I aim for 575, and make a few pushes to see if 900 is doable, since I really need those 4* covers badly but my roster isn't good enough to truly compete for them every time. I definitely lost over 1300 points in total over the course of the entire event, which is more than I ever had before. I am glad other people have felt this, though. At the very least, it tells me that I'm not alone... I was starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't play PVP much anymore, because I wasn't ready for it. I will try to mix up what shard I am in, hopefully it doesn't continue this way or I probably will just stop PvP for a while.
    Basically you're seeing the effects of Snipers, and their alliances, exerting their will on a particular slice or event. Most, if not all of them have 5* rosters, so they're able to enjoy hitting whoever they want without really having to worry about being strategic, shielding, or being hit back because they know they can win pretty much against anyone. This event however, a lot of them met their match per se with other top alliances, and it turned into a war of suppression. Because of the current MMR mechanics, its not easy for a 3-4* roster to queue them, but they have no problem q'ing you. So they can pretty much act as a wall if they coordinate their efforts. Doesn't make the game very fun for you, but it does for them, and its technically a perfectly legal strategy. You're not going to win an argument against their ability to do so, when they've spent however much time + money to champ 5-stars. If you're willing to do what most people won't do, then it's fair that you get enjoy benefits that most people don't either. When it comes to a solution however, it's just like the argument with placement awards, in that only a certain percentile of the player base has access to these kinds of benefits. You can't blame the players for doing what they did to build up their roster - whales have a right to spend their money how they please, and you can't fault someone who put in hard work to build their roster. Only thing you can really do is build your roster so you can fight back, and take advantage of their complacency. You can hope that the devs take steps to fix things like "q hell", or change the way that "hits" work, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I'm not sure you understand the dynamic. There is a difference between "snipers" and "enforcers." "Enforcers" are the guys in the alliances that shield hop, bake, etc., that start late and punish the people who hit the members of their alliances. These guys typically are not effective against "snipers," because "snipers" (the people "Slatering") aren't looking for anything logical, like points. "Snipers" can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Those Suspects just want to watch the world burn.

mpqr7 wrote:
    I have a certain goal in pvp, and usually I can hit it. But sometimes it's easier and harder, depending on a variety of factors, mostly already discussed:

* Which 4* characters are boosted that week
    * Which major alliances are at peace or fighting
    * Which shard you chose / which alliances have moved to what shard
    * How badly people want the 4* reward.

So basically with the same amount of effort during different events, I can sometimes hit 1200+ and other times barely even 700. It used to bother me a lot, but now I don't really care!

**Boosted RHulk week is the very worst. I rarely score much, because I don't like using 3 health packs per match.**

**Boosted Cy4c week is usually pretty decent. He's so powerful that you get more 4* teams at higher point levels, instead of hitting a wall of championed 5*s early on. Just try not to let him get off any attacks icon_e_biggrin.gif **

Objection. Irrelevant.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those saying they struggled because they didn't have the boosted 4s champed: I had Kingpin, Winter Soldier and Flaptain and the Cyclops PVP was still struggle city.
  • kenshohmer2
    kenshohmer2 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif