PVP difficulty?

Crnch73
Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Just a question:

is the Eye for an Eye PVP super hard for anyone else, or is it just me? I keep getting nailed for like 200 points at a time, and when I am shielded I don't get hit at all... it makes me feel like I am on a hit list or something... but I am not a good enough PvP player to warrant that. It could just be that I am using a bad defensive team, or the current set of boosted 4*s (of which I have none) are characters people have a lot of. Or maybe my recent mini success of getting to 900 twice in a row has changed something? I can't get to 800, because I keep getting destroyed after I get to around 750, which means I will not be able to make it to that quake cover I desperately want.

Comments

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    The selection of boosted 4*'s doesn't line up well with my roster so this whole week's been bad for me. Other than that it doesn't seem worse than any other versus event. Well, except that one guy decided to start his climb from 0 at the same time I was climbing from 600 and hit me 4 times in a row (with the same 3 characters I was using). That kind of sucked all of the fun out of the event.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Just a question:

is the Eye for an Eye PVP super hard for anyone else, or is it just me? I keep getting nailed for like 200 points at a time, and when I am shielded I don't get hit at all... it makes me feel like I am on a hit list or something... but I am not a good enough PvP player to warrant that. It could just be that I am using a bad defensive team, or the current set of boosted 4*s (of which I have none) are characters people have a lot of. Or maybe my recent mini success of getting to 900 twice in a row has changed something? I can't get to 800, because I keep getting destroyed after I get to around 750, which means I will not be able to make it to that quake cover I desperately want.

You aren't being hit while shielded because people can't find you while shielded. That's working as intended.
    What team are you using? What does the top end of your roster look like?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm stuck at low 800s, and even the very hard double-championed 5* targets are only worth around 40 points, so it would take three (??) battles just to unshield and get to 900 points. Something definitely seems off, because usually it's not all that hard to get to 900 points.

If I can't get to 900 points this time, I can't. I'll check my mmr again in a bit. icon_neutral.gif
  • Crnch73
    yea I mean my defensive team is not great, so I get that I am an easy target. I use champed iceman/champed 3cyke/champed im40. I know it invites people to attack me. But normally I can at least get to 800-850 points, shield for all incoming rebuttals and attacks, then when the heat dies down go for 900 as quickly as possible. This time, the heat never seems to die down. I have been playing the event since it started, ending at 3pm EST today, and I have climbed to 400... knocked back to 300. Climbed to 600, beaten to 420. Climbed to 725, knocked down to 550. I once got to 875 and shielded, but I must have had a lot of people attacking me because I got knocked down to 640. The rollercoaster for this event has just been wild I guess. It could be all happenstance, in which case oh well. I have just never experienced this many beatdowns in the past. I have lost plenty of matches and points in the past, but this is by far the new record for me. It could be in my head, but I sure hope I didn't somehow find myself on a hit list.

Being completely honest, all I want is the cover at 900. 9 times out of 10, once I hit that reward I don't even shield because placement doesn't matter to me. So, once I get the cover, I am basically fair game and let people pick over my dead carcass for points. So in a funny way, it actually behooves people in my bracket/slice if I can make it that far, because then there are lots of points to get from me afterwards. At this point I am shielded at 770 and depending on how it all shakes out, I may just give it up and stay shielded until the event ends.
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Hey, new to forums, but played for a long time. Were you playing in the 4th time slot? Thats where I played, and something is definitely different this event. I usually see really high scores there, and i only see top scores at 1250 in my leaderboard. Is something going on? Maybe thats why they dont run the cyclops pvp very often? Too hard for people because teams are too strong?
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    FWIW, I am also finding Eye for an Eye more difficult than usual, but I think it's just team synergy issues. For me, one of the problems is that I can't use my champed 4* Cyclops who is one of my most reliable climbers, boosted or not. Another problem is that the only boosted 4* that I currently have champed is Spider-Woman, who scares no one because the AI can't play her correctly.

Still, it does seem like I've been getting hit more than usual - after my initial climb to ~400-450, I didn't shield overnight and took multiple hits, which doesn't usually happen with points that low. I'm seeing a very large number of champed Kingpins (and a surprising number of champed Buckys) in my retal nodes, and both of them hit really hard when boosted - I think a lot of players can roll over all but the best defensive teams.

I would have loved the Quake cover but I think I would have had to start shielding early and often to get there, and I didn't want to spend that much HP.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    A set of players were using a point suppression strategy in S4 this event. It's not Cyclops, and it's not you, this was a very difficult event in S4. This might continue in S4 for a bit longer, it might move to S3, it's hard to say in advance.
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited February 2017
    Point suppression is putting it mildly, severe understatement. Those typical high scores? yeah, they went away really fast, it will continue, coming to a shard near you...had a lot of fun too, got my CP and just kept tapping every one I saw.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    A set of players were using a point suppression strategy in S4 this event. It's not Cyclops, and it's not you, this was a very difficult event in S4. This might continue in S4 for a bit longer, it might move to S3, it's hard to say in advance.

Glad other people were noticing this. I thought maybe I was going crazy or something. I don't bother with PvP much, but this event seemed especially brutal. I guess now we know why.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fascinating. Can we go into more detail about this "point suppression"? I saw some players who I know generally score around 1300+ points, down at only 850-ish points, even with just around 30 minutes left (at the end, with only around 950 points). Is this going to be the new normal? What is their goal for doing this?

I still ended up hitting 900+, but there was definitely no shot at getting to 1200+, even if I did multiple hops. Even in S4, which is normally high scoring, only around 15 people made it to 1200 at the end. My score of 934 was enough to put me in 37th.
  • A_Wise_Man
    Wait, why would people suddenly start doing this? Were they tired of scoring too high? Trying to make it hard for other people? For what? X-men and Elysium usually score very high from what I see, why did they go low? Also, theres another...battlecat cry? Something. Where did they go? I didn't see them at all. Did they turn into these suspects or something? Saw lots of them on leaders.
  • Crnch73
    DayvBang wrote:

so basically... people at the top just want to keep everyone down?

or does point suppression mean they hold their own score down for a while and then pounce on weaker teams?

For the record, I was in the last shard, so shard 5, SCL7.

either way, it really put a damper on how much fun I had. I have just started really trying to reach for pvp. I used to hit 300 points and then quit. Now I aim for 575, and make a few pushes to see if 900 is doable, since I really need those 4* covers badly but my roster isn't good enough to truly compete for them every time. I definitely lost over 1300 points in total over the course of the entire event, which is more than I ever had before. I am glad other people have felt this, though. At the very least, it tells me that I'm not alone... I was starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't play PVP much anymore, because I wasn't ready for it. I will try to mix up what shard I am in, hopefully it doesn't continue this way or I probably will just stop PvP for a while.
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I too noticed it was incredibly hard to get progression in s4. Granted, I didn't use any shields all event, I can usually get to 1200 no problem in one run. I hit 1100 a number of times then the point dominoes started falling. Everyone was just taking each other's points and not getting anywhere! That being said, it was a great event for harvesting ISO and saving HP though. I had a blast.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Crnch73 wrote:

or does point suppression mean they hold their own score down for a while and then pounce on weaker teams?

either way, it really put a damper on how much fun I had. I have just started really trying to reach for pvp. I used to hit 300 points and then quit. Now I aim for 575, and make a few pushes to see if 900 is doable, since I really need those 4* covers badly but my roster isn't good enough to truly compete for them every time. I definitely lost over 1300 points in total over the course of the entire event, which is more than I ever had before. I am glad other people have felt this, though. At the very least, it tells me that I'm not alone... I was starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't play PVP much anymore, because I wasn't ready for it. I will try to mix up what shard I am in, hopefully it doesn't continue this way or I probably will just stop PvP for a while.

Nah, it's not a conspiracy to suppress or attack newer players/weaker rosters. It's more like, all the people on the top are more like frenemies who barely tolerate each other than they are friends, and this event they decided to focus less on baking/grilling and pushing scores up, and focus on hitting each other as hard as possible as much as possible
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Same here , it's a long week when the boosted 4s aren't championed in your roster, it's the second season in a row that starts like that on the first week. Oh well I'll make it up next week
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Crnch73 wrote:

Nah, it's not a conspiracy to suppress or attack newer players/weaker rosters. It's more like, all the people on the top are more like frenemies who barely tolerate each other than they are friends, and this event they decided to focus less on baking/grilling and pushing scores up, and focus on hitting each other as hard as possible as much as possible

Well, the first part is true - this is "the people at the top trying to keep everyone down".

If this happened in society, in government - in business - society/government/business usually steps in and takes steps to make sure the small aren't squashed.

It wouldn't be hard here - remove multiple simultaneous hits in PVP and this "problem" would be fixed.

I've always said people can play however they want to play. But I also heard the comment above - THIS WAS NOT FUN - more times than I've ever seen before during the last PVP event.
  • A_Wise_Man
    Crnch, if you did the 5th time slot, that makes sense. That one is always slow when I go there. 2 is really bad, too. You get hit a lot. 4 felt like that this event, it was too bad. Actually, I think that Usually Suspect alliance used to play in number 5 when I did there, so maybe that is why. I don't understand, though. If theyre in the leader screen, how do they keep points down? It doesnt make sense.
  • PhantomSniper
    PhantomSniper Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    I have a feeling this event and the next and the next will be more bloodbaths. Score suppression is an understatement, call it Slatering. Personally, I love to hit over and over and over and over and over and over and over...we (my alliance) don't shield, why when it's so much fucn to just pound away until you're worth -15. When we hunt, we spread out....we will find you and we will hit you....over and over and over and over and over....I think you get the picture. If you're a lucky receipent, I may Slater you.....those are only for the special people though.....
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Crnch73 wrote:

Well, the first part is true - this is "the people at the top trying to keep everyone down".

If this happened in society, in government - in business - society/government/business usually steps in and takes steps to make sure the small aren't squashed.

It wouldn't be hard here - remove multiple simultaneous hits in PVP and this "problem" would be fixed.

I've always said people can play however they want to play. But I also heard the comment above - THIS WAS NOT FUN - more times than I've ever seen before during the last PVP event.

I don't know how true that is. The people that are usually on top were fighting each other, with some others joining in. Also, if you're suggesting the devs should jump in to address the issue... you're way off base.

First of all, for the devs to step in would mean that they'd be giving preferential treatment to one specific alliance....which is just bad policy and would not go over well with anyone.

Secondly, for the devs to step in would mean to change their message about pvp for....forever. Pvp involves taking hits. Period. Only way to avoid that would be to have every single person in a shard hit seeds and shield hop off one another....which would be very boring. Also, most pvp changes that have been made have had the end goal of *lowering* top scores when they got out of control. They're not going to suddenly jump in and change things because a certain alliance didnt get to score 12,000 points per person. In fact, theyd probably be pleased with the end result: only the top scores in the shard made progression.

Play however you want. Ive played both ways. I'm just saying, there's literally no incentive for anyone to step in. If that were the case and they wanted more people get progression, theyd change progression
  • Crnch73
    I was fine with having to win more matches because the points weren't as high as normal. But on defense, I was getting hit like crazy. And any time I was unshielded and trying to climb, I was barely outgaining my losses. At like 500 points, I was getting something like 55 total points and then I said to myself "this is nuts, I will put up a shield and hope this gets better later"

I tried to play at random times, hoping there wouldn't be a lot of climbers at the same time as me, but unless I had the worst timing ever (which is possible, but hard to truly believe), the defensive losses were incredible. 2 days left in the event and I was still getting rocked for near 200 points at a time. 1.25 days left? Same ~200 point losses. 22 hours left, 18 hours left, 13 hours left, 7 hours left, 2 hours left... All the same results. At some point, I just gave up and knew I wouldn't get the quake cover, so I cut my losses and went unshielded since I had spent too much HP on shields already. By the end of the event, I tallied somewhere around 1700 total defensive points lost.

In my head I was saying "either people REALLY want that quake cover, or I managed to piss off someone and everyone hits me like crazy the instant I am unshielded." Probably paranoid, but this was definitely not my normal PvP experience.