Strange Sights - I'm loving it

2»

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    qandols wrote:
    I agree, I love playing with my champed 3* and the 4* I have that are usable. I have thrown out several 5* and I wish there was a way to only get 4* from e.g. Classic Legends.

The goal of a 5* was to make the player go "OMG!!" when they see the purple emblem instead of the pulsing 4* gold one. And at the start that's what I got.

Now though I spend 20CP, I see the purple and go "Oh....*sigh*" and just add it to a 5* without caring much. It feels like a waste at that point. Might as well have been a 1*, I'd at least have got 100 ISO from that.
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    HobieCat76 wrote:
    Magic wrote:
    4. Kaeclius (what's his name again?) fight is very puzzly and challenging but rewards 3,5k ISO.

Overall, I really like Strange Sights and agree with most of the OP's points. However, I do have to respectfully disagree with this final point, because I feel that it's this event's biggest weakness.

There is very little puzzle to beating Kaecilius - just go through your roster and find the three people with the most health (e.g., Red Hulk, Hulk, boosted Steve Rogers) and/or the best auto-healing (e.g., OML, Patch, Daken). It really doesn't matter what colors they use or what powers they have. Then, just do your best to match away Strike tiles (which is the only minimally "puzzly" part). You don't ever need to use any powers or consider any synergies, just outlast Kaecilius long enough for 6 (approximately, I believe) of his Strike tiles to be matched. Luck plays a big factor in how fast the match can go - if you get good placement of his Strikes and/or he matches his own, then the match completes faster. Otherwise, you just let your meat shields soak up the damage until you grind out your 6 matches. Easy peasy from a "thought/puzzle" perspective but disappointing from a game design/fun perspective.

Could not agree more with this idea.... it is a "hold your breath and hope for best fight" ... there is no puzzle to figure out. It just sucks playing. (I also think the damage he is doing is a lot higher.) The first time through I was able to puzzle through it. Figure out which power to do when (I used Loki and Patch ... Loki shake, and Patch to add more of his strike tiles). I don't remember if those two were buff or not. This time around, I have had 2 of my 3 people downed, and the last one winning match with just a handful of AP left.
  • I actually wish you could fight Kaecilious MORE. I love the puzzl-y fights, like undercovered Crash of the Titans fights.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I was able to strategically use Fist+Quicksilver against Kaecilius in the first run and it was pretty fun - I was (usually) able to manipulate the board to match away strike tiles and it did feel more like a puzzle. This time around his damage is amped up to the point that it basically won't allow me to use a 3* (except Hulk, and maybe GRocket). Kind of a bummer.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Could not agree more with this idea.... it is a "hold your breath and hope for best fight" ... there is no puzzle to figure out. It just sucks playing. (I also think the damage he is doing is a lot higher.) The first time through I was able to puzzle through it. Figure out which power to do when (I used Loki and Patch ... Loki shake, and Patch to add more of his strike tiles). I don't remember if those two were buff or not. This time around, I have had 2 of my 3 people downed, and the last one winning match with just a handful of AP left.

I like the idea of a 'puzzling' boss that you have to figure out. Like you, I don't think this is the right execution. If Kaecilius did less damage but his vulnerability was more randomized, so that each time you played him you wouldn't know right away what his weakness was, that could be fun and interesting. A boss you can't prepare for, and this time he only takes damage from purple matches or purple powers, and next time he can only take damage from attack tiles, but he spawns attack tiles for each team, etc.

Way more work than they would do, but that would at least be puzzling and challenging.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    i beat KaeSillyGuy on the first try each of the 3 subs
    lost my five star each time though
    best results for me were BSSM (1/1/2) just for reducing strike damage
    Invisible Woman (5/4/2 level 199) can lock strikes and Turn the team invisble (although is seems not Spidey)
    and the mighty Quicksilver (obvious)
    the boss was level 372 for me and I think it was actually 7 strikes
    Invisible Sue had to match the last two in the second go
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quicksilver, Mr Fantastic, and Iron Fist first time. Took a lot of damage, but made it. Switched Fist with Iceman second time, though I never got to use purple, which is what I'd brought him for, and took less damage than first time. Used AP boosts both times for black and blue so I could start swapping tiles fast as possible.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML, Elektra and Black Suit Spiderman for me. BSS nullifies the strikes, OML tanks, Elektra pumps out **** strikes to match. Cakewalk.

Logan is at 350, but BSS is unleveled - 5 purple makes strikes do nothing regardless.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've really enjoyed this event too. I went with maghia, sentries, hand as order and that worked well. Also used a champed rulk, cho, and HB for all boss rounds and that was very effective.

I felt for 5 star rosters, but it just reinforces waiting to venture our into that Teri tory for me.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I was actually kinda looking forward to this event but timing has worked out that I didn't really get to participate. Just a bad few days for it to run on.

I'll grind out the last day for the Strange covers at least and call it good I guess.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I loved it when it launched, and I'm enjoying it the second time around with my champed Strange, but the 4* essential nodes are ridiculous considering most people only have a Mordo purple and they're OP feeder fiascos.

Feeder nodes need to be put out to pasture; they're cheating, pure and simple. There's nothing smart or fair about their design.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    HobieCat76 wrote:
    Magic wrote:
    4. Kaeclius (what's his name again?) fight is very puzzly and challenging but rewards 3,5k ISO.

Overall, I really like Strange Sights and agree with most of the OP's points. However, I do have to respectfully disagree with this final point, because I feel that it's this event's biggest weakness.

There is very little puzzle to beating Kaecilius - just go through your roster and find the three people with the most health (e.g., Red Hulk, Hulk, boosted Steve Rogers) and/or the best auto-healing (e.g., OML, Patch, Daken). It really doesn't matter what colors they use or what powers they have. Then, just do your best to match away Strike tiles (which is the only minimally "puzzly" part). You don't ever need to use any powers or consider any synergies, just outlast Kaecilius long enough for 6 (approximately, I believe) of his Strike tiles to be matched. Luck plays a big factor in how fast the match can go - if you get good placement of his Strikes and/or he matches his own, then the match completes faster. Otherwise, you just let your meat shields soak up the damage until you grind out your 6 matches. Easy peasy from a "thought/puzzle" perspective but disappointing from a game design/fun perspective.

it's puzzly because you can use people who move the board,
    or create strike tiles for the boss and match them yourself (patch/ ms marvel etc)

Compare this to every other single event in game that people praise, (civil war with time based scaling, ultron, the ridiculous "boss" rush. it beats them all) without question
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is without question the best event in game,mainly due to the brevity of it, and the generosity with tokens. the side vaults still aren't up to par, but you actually get to see a vault and get more than 2-3 tokens without needing to place in the top 100.

I'm on day 2 and i've drawn 8, and use the daily deal to pad out some more.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I loved it when it launched, and I'm enjoying it the second time around with my champed Strange, but the 4* essential nodes are ridiculous considering most people only have a Mordo purple and they're OP feeder fiascos.

Feeder nodes need to be put out to pasture; they're cheating, pure and simple. There's nothing smart or fair about their design.

If you don't have 3strange champed, then yeah. The Mordo node is hard. But that just shows how important he is, I just slotted my champed Kingpin to cover strange and then let those goons tear down Kingpin and Doom for me. Though that Ultron node with sentries was the real pain in the butt.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love how generous this event is with tokens. Eight free tokens a day means lots of good stuff. Today's Alliance reward tokens gave me two Strang3 covers (so he's at 12 covers now) and a War Machine cover. The last progression token gave me the LT from the vault too, so it feels like I have gotten some very good stuff already and I still have seven free pulls left. Not bad!