Strange Sights - I'm loving it

Magic
Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Anybody else with me? I am totally loving the Starange Sights PvE.

Why? I am glad you asked.
1. Rewards structure - amazing (probably should be point 1 to 5). Lots of tokens for clearing each round (alliance rewards are just out of this world), 4 vaults to choose how you want to spend your HP (if you like that).
2. Nodes are mainly goon fights which means Strange (who is boosted) gets to work and helps to clear them quicker.
3. We don't have to fight overscaled Dark Avengers!
4. Kaeclius (what's his name again?) fight is very puzzly and challenging but rewards 3,5k ISO.

Even if the scaling of some goons is big (I am not sure if the sentries are in there as I have not started one of them yet) I still say it's top of the PvE experience we have around here.

Comments

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm with you! All events featuring boosted Strange is good icon_cool.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Difficulty is WAY too high for high end rosters, worse even than Venom Bomb.
    Mindless ones plus tile movers are extremely OP.

Apart from their apparent inability / unwillingness to test for high level rosters, the event is good, yeah.
  • Magic
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Difficulty is WAY too high for high end rosters, worse even than Venom Bomb.
    Mindless ones plus tile movers are extremely OP.

Apart from their apparent inability / unwillingness to test for high level rosters, the event is good, yeah.

Sorry to hear that. I am 4* player so I am enjoying the ride icon_e_smile.gif
  • qandols
    I think 3* mixed with 4* works better than being 5* player, which in it self is a bit weird. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    qandols wrote:
    I think 3* mixed with 4* works better than being 5* player, which in it self is a bit weird. icon_rolleyes.gif

Reasons like that is why I'm not even bothering with the 5* tier currently. I'm enjoying this game and dont want it ruined by bringing 5*s to my roster.
  • qandols
    I agree, I love playing with my champed 3* and the 4* I have that are usable. I have thrown out several 5* and I wish there was a way to only get 4* from e.g. Classic Legends.
  • Magic
    That is an overall issue with the scaling in this game. Developers think that players want to be challenged every day. Therefore you have the scaling so regardless of the level of your play it takes roughly about the same time to clear the PvE.

You can see how it can be implemented (and should be implemented) in DDQ. The difficulty level doesn't take into account your roster. So early rosters can't clear big enchillada or the required one (mainly as they don't have the required one). But they can go at 1 and 2* nodes. when you develop a bit the big enchilada might be challenging but doable and the reward is good. When you have well developed roster it's a quick work to get the iso and the cover. Makes sense and this is how the PvE should work all the time. You would then get the challange of fighting your "peers" in the PvP. Most of the freemium games follow this structure. You actually benefit with developing your roster. In MPQ you only benefit when you have all the heroes but you are punished for leveling them.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems the totals for max progression are screwy again
    i didn't have time to do more than 4 clears/2 on waves in the first two subs and i barely have half of what i need
    The extra Strange Sights tokens for alliance rewards are nice (too bad the first group was all two stars I don't have champed but are covered)
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it, but it's getting a bit tough at the harder nodes (I'm lv 420 OML and PHX as my best characters). I imagine it gets much worse.

I loved waking up to 7 tokens won by myself and my alliance mates!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like that we get to choose the sub we want. For instance, I chose The Hand node first because I started the event late and I knew I could quickly finish it so I could go to bed. Plus I was able to place T10, which rarely happens (normally place T20). I also find the Boss fight at the end very interesting and I like that it's not required. It's the slight difference in this PVE that really sets it apart from the others. I hope they apply this same method to the next PVEs. My only issue is the Goon feeding is ridiculous.. Doom and Kingpin need to calm down.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I'm loving that if you want prog you must grind, someone in charge forgot (again) that timers start after 2 clears for wave nodes. How about we band together and send them a calculator?
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Magic wrote:
    That is an overall issue with the scaling in this game. Developers think that players want to be challenged every day. Therefore you have the scaling so regardless of the level of your play it takes roughly about the same time to clear the PvE.

You can see how it can be implemented (and should be implemented) in DDQ. The difficulty level doesn't take into account your roster. So early rosters can't clear big enchillada or the required one (mainly as they don't have the required one). But they can go at 1 and 2* nodes. when you develop a bit the big enchilada might be challenging but doable and the reward is good. When you have well developed roster it's a quick work to get the iso and the cover. Makes sense and this is how the PvE should work all the time. You would then get the challange of fighting your "peers" in the PvP. Most of the freemium games follow this structure. You actually benefit with developing your roster. In MPQ you only benefit when you have all the heroes but you are punished for leveling them.

Obvious flaw in this is pve bracketing. If, as a 5* player, I can do my clears in 50% of the time it takes a 3* roster, I could constantly go into lower scl and dominate without much concern. Even with 2 5*, I don't ever get overly frustrated, nor do I ever feel threatened by pve nodes. They just take more time than, say, a lr seed.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mostly agree, but Kaecilius seems like less of a puzzle this time around. My match damage got scaled way up. Guys like Quicksilver can easily get wiped in one turn with a cascade, and don't last long under normal matches. I mean, you could put in some to try and tank all his colors. But, it seems to be more reliable to just put in three massive health meat shield like Kingpin and the Hulks and wait it out until the RNG gives you the win.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    Magic wrote:

Obvious flaw in this is pve bracketing. If, as a 5* player, I can do my clears in 50% of the time it takes a 3* roster, I could constantly go into lower scl and dominate without much concern. Even with 2 5*, I don't ever get overly frustrated, nor do I ever feel threatened by pve nodes. They just take more time than, say, a lr seed.

Simple solution for that would be to lock characters on CLs. CL 6 or lower? No 5*s allowed.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    - The Kaecilius fight (I use Phoenix, Patch, and Hulk, but I could probably get away with anyone in that third spot).
    - Lots of goons for Dr Strange to Faltine his way through.
    - If you split up your alliance to each of the subs each day, you get lots of rewards.
    - Lots of chances to get Mordo (I haven't, yet, but I like that the chances are there).

Dislikes:
    - Ultron sentries. Screw these guys. I don't care if they are easier this time, it's total nonsense that they get to do so much in one turn. Specifically the ones that have the Swarm power.
    - Would like to fight Kaecilius more.

Pro-tip: Kill the guys with the laser eyeballs first. That thing hurts.
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    I have never had token luck like this before. My first two pulls from the vault were Mordo and the Legendary token. Then from the alliance awards I got a 4hor yellowflag.png that I've need for about a year lol. 3/4 of the 4 star rewards!
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I´m agreeing with the reward structure. Getting six covers for alliance`s placement is really nice!

But there are few things I dislike:

1. There´s huge difference of difficulty between the three paths. I´ve started with "Book of Vashanti" and it was probably the nastiest sub event aside of "Venom Bomb". The other subs were way easier!

2. Goon feeder 4* essentials. It´s definitely not fun playing with a new character against Dr. Doom or Kingpin who attacks you every two turns.

3. Difference between sub event placement and main event placement. I´ve won the first two sub events and I´m only on 6th position in the main event. That´s weird!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Meander wrote:
    Magic wrote:

Simple solution for that would be to lock characters on CLs. CL 6 or lower? No 5*s allowed.

That's actually a great solution to how to discourage players from get 5*s too early and/or fixing the negative scaling for 5*s for newer players.
  • HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Magic wrote:
    4. Kaeclius (what's his name again?) fight is very puzzly and challenging but rewards 3,5k ISO.

Overall, I really like Strange Sights and agree with most of the OP's points. However, I do have to respectfully disagree with this final point, because I feel that it's this event's biggest weakness.

There is very little puzzle to beating Kaecilius - just go through your roster and find the three people with the most health (e.g., Red Hulk, Hulk, boosted Steve Rogers) and/or the best auto-healing (e.g., OML, Patch, Daken). It really doesn't matter what colors they use or what powers they have. Then, just do your best to match away Strike tiles (which is the only minimally "puzzly" part). You don't ever need to use any powers or consider any synergies, just outlast Kaecilius long enough for 6 (approximately, I believe) of his Strike tiles to be matched. Luck plays a big factor in how fast the match can go - if you get good placement of his Strikes and/or he matches his own, then the match completes faster. Otherwise, you just let your meat shields soak up the damage until you grind out your 6 matches. Easy peasy from a "thought/puzzle" perspective but disappointing from a game design/fun perspective.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    Anybody else with me? I am totally loving the Starange Sights PvE.

Why? I am glad you asked.
    1. Rewards structure - amazing (probably should be point 1 to 5). Lots of tokens for clearing each round (alliance rewards are just out of this world), 4 vaults to choose how you want to spend your HP (if you like that).
    2. Nodes are mainly goon fights which means Strange (who is boosted) gets to work and helps to clear them quicker.
    3. We don't have to fight overscaled Dark Avengers!

Even if the scaling of some goons is big (I am not sure if the sentries are in there as I have not started one of them yet) I still say it's top of the PvE experience we have around here.
    The order you really want is Doom day first. The Sentries make it the most unpleasant. If you do it first, it's worth less points, so if its difficulty keeps you from getting all the points, it hurts a lot less. Maggia should be next, with the 2 and 4 star missions (vs Kingpin and his Amazing AP Feeders) being the place you'll take the most damage. Hand day is easy. Do it last to get the most points for the least difficulty. Almost all goons (Just Gorgon in the last mission if I remember right).
    Seriously, watch out for those Sentries. A Fighter and a Gunner together can end your day really suddenly, with that broken Swarm shaking up the board for lots of strikes and attacks, followed by the Core Meltdown for ridiculous critical cascades. They don't actually have to scale very high to commit violent, painful murder.